Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
MissLumetta

Oogie Boogie Head

I'm currently making an Oogie Boogie costume, and I'm currently stumped on how to make the head. I choose to make it out of bed sheets (even if it looks a little off) only because I have a slight medical issue and I do not wish to have to go to the hospital cause of overheating, migraines and my blood pressure going haywire.

Would anyone have a pattern or tutorial on how to make the head? I want to be able to see out the eyes, my idea was to make the head, then cut holes for the eyes and mouth then cut the black pieces, but only smaller so that when sewn in, it forces those ridges you see around his eyes and mouth. Any other suggestions?
MissLumetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Can you please post a reference picture?

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
MissLumetta

Unread 11-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Okay, his head has some structure going on. If you don't want to make it full plushie (which would get quite hot), you are going to have to make a structure and put the fabric over it. It won't work just trying to have a fabric hood; the top of his head will sag and flop down limp, you won't be able to get the face details like the eyebrow ridges or the lips, etc. Some people use plaster bandages, some people build with upholstery foam, some use plastic canvas as a base and put craft foam or upholstery foam over that when dimension or smoothness is needed.

You can also install a cooling fan in the head to help reduce the heat of wearing a costume like this.

One thing you can try is getting some strong starch or fabric stiffener. I've seen some impressive stuff that involved only burlap, sewing, and fabric stiffener. I don't know what the result would be using fabric stiffener on bedsheets, though...it's a much finer weave than burlap. Fabric stiffener is basically like a glue or sealer, so using it on bedsheets may make it less breathable and it could be unpleasant against the skin.

This would probably be a good project and question to pose in the Props/Accessories/Armor forum, too. The people over there will generally have a lot more experience with constructs, and they'll provide another realm of feedback that you can consider.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.

Last edited by Evil Bishounen : 11-18-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
MissLumetta

Awesome! I will go and post over there now! I don't want to add a fan, because I am worried that something will go wrong and I manage to hurt myself.