Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 04-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #31
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Workmanship Judges are always interested in the processes of costume construction, but entrants should keep in mind not to overwhelm the judges with too much information, especially given the limited time in which the judges will be able to examine any documentation.

There's always a few people who lose track of time because they want to make sure that they show everything that they want to be judged on. One should always be considerate of their fellow entrants, not to mention, the limited time in which judging takes place.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #32
Boreotheria
n00b

Meef. I was getting all set to have something ready for masquerade (my first ever!) and then realized how many masquerades there are going to be...

It's a Greek mythology inspired costume, and to make a long story short it's sorta kinda neoclassical in design but not "accurate" as far as materials are concerned. It may end up being a decent attempt at an ancient garment made with modern materials or it may turn into something different. It's not based on any specific piece of art or written description. It's my own interpretation.

Should it go in the Historical masquerade since that's where the mythology/convention theme category is, or would I have more leeway to get creative with it if I made it for the anything-goes F&SF masquerade?

Thanks!
Unread 04-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #33
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

If you want to go Historical, you can deviate a lot and go crazy with the Historical Interpretation category, but you would want to have your documentation show where the historical basis is and how you changed it.

The F&SF will have prizes for theme costumes as well, so it's really up to you. It could even depend on which day you want to compete

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #34
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Is the Enrty form for the F&SF going up soon. I don't want the presenter to suffer through my hand writing. lol

Quote:
VI. Entry Forms

Will be available closer to the convention date.

FanExpo '17
Merida - Brave (Saturday only)

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:
Lagertha - Vikings, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #35
Boreotheria
n00b

Woo, thanks. I think I feel like it should go in F&SF, then. Awesome. \o/
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I'm still looking for the entry form. lol

http://costumecon32.com/programming-...sf-masquerade/

Which reminds me I still have to splice my audio down. (just music)

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #37
may55
Just another penguin

Now that the programming/panels are up I have one questions. I see many meetups with certain styles/genres of costuming, but is it only for people who are wearing the style of costumes or anyone who is interested in the style?

My mother wants to go to the Victorian costume one, but she won't be in a Victorian costume so I just wanted to be sure.

Cosplays for the Year:
(Fallout 3) Vault Dwellers (Regular and Pin up edition) (20%)
Masquerade Ballgown (60%)

PENGUINS! Enough said.
may55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #38
Boreotheria
n00b

Could someone please explain the "open lab" sessions on the schedule? Is that like workspace? Will there be equipment/supplies there or what should we bring if we want to get work done?
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #39
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

It's a work space with sew machines. *_* I'm not sure about supplies though as I've never been to a cos-con.

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #40
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I know everyone is till deflating from this (and revving up for AN!!!) but will there be a post either on here of a post on Coscom32 for the all the masquerade winners. lol

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 05-07-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #41
Ayekasong
Gaming Addict

I'm not sure about on here or the website, but there is always a list that goes out on the ICG-D list of the winners. I haven't seen it come across the list yet, so I would think they are still compiling it. I will try to remember to post it here when it comes across, unless someone else gets to it first!

Next up: Star Wars Celebration
Cons for 2017 - Star Wars Celebration :: Costume-Con :: Geek.Kon :: Archon :: TeslaCon

My ACP page :: Facebook :: Costume News Website :: Costume News Youtube channel:: Personal YouTube :: World Cosplay Page
Ayekasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #42
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I know everyone is till deflating from this (and revving up for AN!!!) but will there be a post either on here of a post on Coscom32 for the all the masquerade winners. lol

Hey guys! I'll try to have all the winners lists posted soon. I've asked the Masquerade Directors to provide them so when I have them all I'll come back here and post. Cheers!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #43
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I decided I want to try the historical masquerade for the next CostumeCon in Canada, but I didn't attend the panel on how to document for historical judging (I attended one that went over both, but it didn't go too far into historical). Does Costume-Con have a tutorial of guideline page or a video of the panel or something I can use for figuring out how to properly do my documentation?

Also, how much non-historical modern materials are you allowed to use? There's one part of the costume (an enormous headpiece) that, quite frankly, if I used the real gold and other weird objects it was made out of, I'd go bankrupt, and it would be very difficult to make out of real metal of any kind without years of smithing (and it would probably give me a migraine from the weight), so I was going to sculpt it with clay or sculpey and paint/gold-leaf it, and likewise, the wig with it is made of horsehair, but it's WAY easier to work with (and find) synthetic wig hair (I'd probably have to make my own wig, too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 05-13-2014 at 07:14 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #44
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I actually attended the historical document panel. They really don't expect you to find period fabric but they want your research on what you substitute with modern textiles.

Show X original textile next to Y modern replace mend with the same weave.

Same with showing research on the time period it's from and structural information.

Same with makeup. They really DON'T want you using period makeup as most of that stuff was hazards.

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 05-14-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Unread 05-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #45
Ayekasong
Gaming Addict

Shinobi, I actually did something very similar for this year's historical (I was the Khmer-inspired Apsara) - my hat typically would have been made out of pure metal, but yea, I'm not a metal smith. I ended up creating my hat out of a wire base and covered it with cloth that resembled the metal, and then used metal wire throughout. I had pictures in my documentation of what I did, and explained my choices. Like Ani_BEE said, just explain why you chose the method you did vs. what would have been done, and you'll be in good shape.

I'm curious to know what you're making, but if you want to keep it secret, that's okay!

Next up: Star Wars Celebration
Cons for 2017 - Star Wars Celebration :: Costume-Con :: Geek.Kon :: Archon :: TeslaCon

My ACP page :: Facebook :: Costume News Website :: Costume News Youtube channel:: Personal YouTube :: World Cosplay Page
Ayekasong is offline   Reply With Quote