Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Dreamerwolf

Low-impact suggestions?

Hello! Since I made the conscious decision to try and lose weight, I have so far lost about 20 pounds, which is great and I'm happy, but I've now hit that 'just ten more!' mentality and over the last month my weight has seemed to level off. I'm maintaining but not losing. So far I've improved my diet and I do walk every day, about 30-45 minutes.

I would like to add another 30 minutes of exercise a day, aside from walking...something I can do in the house. But I have a herniated disk causing bad lower back problems so I can do high impact and work out tapes and such. Does anyone know of any low-impact, or easy on the back exercises I could try? If it targets the tummy area, all the better.

Also, my kids have the Just Dance games and they are pretty fun, although I haven't used them much myself yet, I thought they might be good exercise...does anyone have experience using these games to help lose weight?
-Doctor Who: Femme 11
-'Furry' Tardis, as a cat

Possible Future
-Femme 11 (7b - Purple coat)
-Rose, New Earth
-Femme 4
Dreamerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Although it's not an in-house activity, swimming (or other water exercises like the aquafit classes you see at YMCA's) is great exercise that's low-impact and easy on the joints and back. Pilates and yoga are also good and cheap (a mat, or the carpet, for a few bucks and you can easily find DVDs, usually quite cheap) if you're not concerned about cardio, and they may help with the back issues too (but common sense applies, DON'T continue doing a movement or such if you feel more than a "Ooh, I'm stiff/that's difficult" pain). Stationary bikes are also good, though if you don't already have one or one you can borrow, kind of expensive.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Bovice

Pretty much what Shinobi said

Only thing I'd add is that you can't target fat in any specific area; no one exercise will help reduce stomach fat than any other.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Antifreeze

Sorry, I wish I could help... but the only thing I can really suggest is to not do anything that requires you to bend your back or compresses your back... so no squats or deadlifts.... pretty much no standing exercises. Planks, and pushups are good. Bench press, kneeling rows... lots you can do. You are likely hitting a plateau because your body has adapted. You need a new slightly more intense routine.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Dreamerwolf

Thanks! Sadly I have no access to a pool, so for now, that option is out. I've heard yoga is good, it just seems boring to me, but I may give it a try if it's the best option out there for me. A stationary bike (And a real one in the summer!) is something I'd certainly look into for the future, but space isn't going to allow that right now either.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Possible Future
-Rose, New Earth
-Femme 4
Unread 12-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Ghai

I know this'll sound a bit weird, but look into Tai-Chi. Since you won't be looking at it from a combative perspective (which if you wanted to, it's really fun once you get the pieces together) any tutorial on the 24 form would be a good start. Actually, at the bottom of this post I'll put a link to my instructor doing a shorter form that'll give you a good starting point. Doing the forms, and holding the poses will give you a bit of a sweat and are virtually stress free except on the legs.

If it's something you'd be interested in, I can send you a message of things to focus on while doing the form.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=554918671192388
Ghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
mng46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post

Only thing I'd add is that you can't target fat in any specific area; no one exercise will help reduce stomach fat than any other.
This is not necessarily true, buy choosing exercises that focus on the lower back and core muscles you can build muscle there which will in turn reduce the ammount of fat in in your stomach. As a competitive athelete who had been training for a very long time I can say this with confidence. If stomach fat is what your trying to loose it might be kind of hard with an injured back considering the core muscles and the mustcles in your lower back work together so much when you perform core exercises. I would say talk to a physical trainer, most gyms will let you consult for free or give you a discount on your first visit. They willl help you find exercises to tone the muscles you want without the high impact that will cause you pain (that's their job after all).
mng46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Bovice

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post

This is not necessarily true, buy choosing exercises that focus on the lower back and core muscles you can build muscle there which will in turn reduce the ammount of fat in in your stomach.
Yes and no. You can add muscle there, yes, which will make it appear more tone, but you can't actually remove fat from the specific area. It will just look less relative, since there is more muscle there.

Fat comes from all over the body; lower back/core exercises will add muscle mass, but won't reduce fat any more than anything else. Fat and muscle are two completely different types of tissues to one another. Building muscle in your core doesn't remove fat specifically from that area. There is no correlation between them.
Though the calories burned while building the muscle will work to reduce fat from over the entire body (just not specifically in one area).
If you do crunches until you burn 300 calories and do bench press until you burn 300 calories, you're going to lose the same amount of fat in all areas.

Last edited by Bovice : 12-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Dreamerwolf

Tai Chi sounds like a good choice! Might give that a try. Ghai, I'd love any more info you can give me on that. If you know of any good videos, or instructors who have online/video training I could follow, that'd be great, as again, I'd like to do this from home, not go to a class.

Question in regards to targeting area to lose weight... I get that you can't lose fat in a particular area, but you can add muscle. But, what about 'tightening' an area? That's a matter of building muscle, isn't it? I've lost a bit of weight, leaving my middle a bit 'saggy' and I'd like to tone it up, that can be targeted, can't it?

Possible Future
-Rose, New Earth
-Femme 4
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Bovice

Tightening is a combination of adding some muscle and lowering overall body fat. Body fat is the outermost layer, so even if you put on some muscle, you're not going to get the tone/tight look without reducing your overall body fat.