Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
topleka
The Tin Dog

Creating Another Eye?

My imotochan will be cosplaying as Hiei for the upcomming SakuCon, and we were wondering if anyone had an techniques for creating a third eye.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/yu_yu_hakusho/hiei.htm

Hiei has a third eye implanted in his forehead, and it would be nifty to have on for cosplay too. Has anyone ever tried this before, or are there any ways to create the illusion of a third eye?

Unread 04-16-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

As long as you're not going to be switching back and forth between headband and no-headband, you can just draw on the Jagan Eye with makeup. I prefer theatrical makeup, it's pricey, yes, but worth it. I haven't personally done the Jagan yet, though. I know Mephistopheles, who doesn't hang around here a LOT these days, has simply drawn on the third eye for Tienshinhan (DBZ) cosplay and it looks just right, so it can be done. You'd need a steady hand and maybe a reference pic to help, though - since Hiei's Jagan actually has a purple iris, unlike Tien's all-white third eye.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
topleka
The Tin Dog

Ah, okees. That's what we've tried so far. It looks a little on the flat side. ^_^;; Any suggestions for giving it a little more depth? (see attatched ^-^)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-025Sb.jpg (12.6 KB, 51 views)
Unread 04-17-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
Genki Panda
LAsmog+asthma-inhaler=x_x

Hmm... I had to do a third eye for stage makeup one day... I used derma(sp?) wax. I think it's also called mortician's(sp?) wax O_o;...

After you have it in the shape you want on your forehead, you just paint it (with stage makeup)... now I ran into problems cause my body temperature tends to run higher than the average persons so I kept having to dunk my hands in icy water to keep from melting the wax as I was shaping it with my hands.

Now, the only problem I see is I don't know how this would hold up for con wear... especially if it's a hot day X_x;...

In theory, you should be able to add spirit gum to the back of the wax and it will stay, but I have yet to test this idea. My prof told my class about using this method for keeping the wax on for stage, but I have no clue if I got the details right.

So yeah, there's my idea for adding depth ^^;;. Don't know if it'll work, but might help with some more ideas ^_^.

*huggleness*

RIP Josh Smith
(1987 - March 23, 2004)
He's skating in heaven, Bre... and drawing smilies on everyone he meets.
Genki Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
KusanIvy

I have Dick Smith's Monster Make-Up Book and there is a whole section on making unusual eyes using an old ping-pong ball. You cut the ball in half, draw the eye design on it and then apply a medium-thick coat of clear high gloss polyurethane or clear epoxy overtop.

However you dry the ball upside down (ie. so that the "eye" part is facing down) so that the polyurethane pools around the front part of the eye. This gives the illusion of the "corneal bulge" that a real eye would have.

You can then tape the eye in place on you friend's forehead and hide the edges of the ball with nose putty or derma wax
Unread 04-17-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

The only problem with that is, the Jagan doesn't stick out on Hiei's forehead at all. I saw someone try to do it like that once and it just looked FREAKY. And not the type of freaky you want when you reveal the Jagan. Like... "eww... *shies away*"

I've been toying with prosthetic ideas, but I can't think of any that would give only a slightly-raised quality to the Eye. I was thinking of testing something with transparent liquid latex in order to just give it a bit of a sheen so it doesn't look so painted-on.

topleka, I think you've got a good start there! I think it would stand out a little better if you also colored the appropriate parts white, and make sure you outline it heavily. The Jagan doesn't have lashes but it does have a lid, so a good outline will help define that. BTW your friend makes a great Hiei.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2004, 07:10 AM   #7
KusanIvy

The ball idea might still work. You could always cut it so that you had much less of a curve, so that it only bulged otu a bit (ie. instead of cutting the ball in half cut out only say, 1/4 or 1/8th)
Unread 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #8
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

You could just paint a piece of paper and tape that to your forehead instead... Hehehe.
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote