Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #31
CirCir

*Sorry this is so long*
This was my first ALA and it was so much fun. I loved the ball as well as the dance class that was the last event the con held.
With that being said, I first want to address the girl who took the escalators to her car, it's a much easier way, especially if you have luggage. If you can't take the escalators you either have to go down the ramp and down another ramp again into the garage. Or you have to go down the ramp and down stairs. From the outdoor sub-level patio you can easily roll your suitcase into the garage. I do have to say the room adjacent to the doors that exit to the pool was poorly monitored. People were able to ghost the con and enter the pool deck by simply walking through there.
Onto my main concerns:
1. The main con-level floor was always hot, for a con during winter (even in Cali) it'd be nice for it to be cool enough to wear cosplays that have a winter appearance. It would also be so that we could wear kigurumis. When I went down at night (especially in the karaoke room) I was in my kigu and burning up, it'd be nice if it felt like the A/C was on.
2. Underage drinking. Someone I knew had a meltdown and I later found out it was because she had been drinking. It left another friend upset and caused trouble. Some people are ok with supplying drinks to people who are underage, I don't condone such behavior and would hope the con could have it written somewhere. [Maybe I didn't see it if was noted.]
3. Pot Usage -IF ANYTHING PLEASE FOCUS ON THIS- The first night I tried to sleep someone was smoking on the balcony (facing the outside of the hotel), with our door closed we could smell it, I have asthma so it really bothered me. I ended up going out and politely asking the guy to stop, which he did. Then one of the mornings the fire alarm on our floor went off. People were coming out of their rooms, I was barely dressed and kind of freaked out with no shoes on, I wasn't going to risk my life for shoes. Some people stayed on the floor looking out the window trying to figure out what was happening. My roommate and I went down 5 flights of stairs to the lobby where I located a hotel staff member. He had no idea a fire alarm went off, everyone was going about their business and he said to ignore it. It was quite embarrassing to be in the lobby looking so shabby. When I went back up someone on the floor said someone was just smoking it up.
4. Our balcony door locked automatically, it had a key card lock and it didn't even register a card went in. If I hadn't tested it beforehand someone could have been locked outside.
5. I myself am a photographer and cinematographer and it's one of my favorite things to do at cons. The only problem I had with others was just hogging space. If they were hired by the con I completely understand, otherwise the biggest problem was under the gazebo. Someone had a dolly set up and every time I went out hoping to take some photos there, they were there. Maybe there can be a rule for only handheld/body mounted stabilizers (ex.glidecams and flycams) in crowded areas like the pool and patio rather than a dolly?
ALA '15
AX '15

Current Cosplays
Princess Millia: Last Exile: Fam The Silver Wing
Mirai Kuriyama: Kyoukai No Kanata [needs updating]
CirCir is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #32
hybridchaos
Head Of Goody Bags @ ALA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirCir View Post
1. The main con-level floor was always hot, for a con during winter (even in Cali) it'd be nice for it to be cool enough to wear cosplays that have a winter appearance. It would also be so that we could wear kigurumis. When I went down at night (especially in the karaoke room) I was in my kigu and burning up, it'd be nice if it felt like the A/C was on.
T issue with the AC is that it is on, but you have to account that when you have a area full of many bodies even with the AC on you wont notice it. If there were less people you would feel the ac far more. I suggest if your wandering about in a warm cosplay such as a kigu to bring a small hand fan. A must for any cosplayer
Fanime 2014
Gallifrey 2014

Cosplays In Progress For 2013-2014
Captain Jack Harkness (BAD WOLF)
Ianto Jones
10th Doctor (Tuxedo Ver)
Android J.A.R.V.I.S (My ver)
Cecil G. Palmer
Castiel
Secret Cosplay
hybridchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #33
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Chaz View Post
We're looking into minor/adult badges next year, to help with identifying underage people and to make it that much easier to drop the hammer on the pervs and creeps.
If I could make a suggestion regarding this. Maybe you can possibly make the minor/underage badges a different color? That way when people flash them at the door the staff member could easily spot the minor.
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:07 AM   #34
AtlasDao

this isn't a complaint or a suggestion but it's my first time going to ALA and i was curious on the registration if by student, is that inclusive to college students?
AtlasDao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #35
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasDao View Post
this isn't a complaint or a suggestion but it's my first time going to ALA and i was curious on the registration if by student, is that inclusive to college students?
I've only been at ALA as a college student and I had no problems
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #36
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasDao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKax View Post
I've only been at ALA as a college student and I had no problems
The Student discount applies to any kind of student. We recognize that people who aren't in high school yet might not have been issued student ID cards, but we expect that the rest of you will.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote