Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Finishing a veil/organza without a serger?

I'm working on a Princess Luna gijinka, and to get the floating starlight look to her mane, I'm both making a tail-piece out of gathered sparkly organza, and covering my wig with a loose veil of the same fabric. I'm not sure, however, to finish the edges without a thick, noticeable hem or it looking raw and ugly. I don't own my own serger and I'm not confident enough on the industrial ones at my college to want to risk my cosplay with them, and also not wanting to go out and buy three big spools of serging thread I'll never use again to match the shade, so I need some suggestions on what else I can do. I was thinking a simple folded, not rolled (so, raw edge still somewhat visible but not obvious like if I left it completely) hem with a zigzag stitch overtop might work. Any other suggestions? It needs to stay sheer, obviously, and preferably still lightweight. I'd also like to avoid fraycheck, it tends to make edges very crispy and hard and I'll have a lot to use it on.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

A very teeny (1/8-1/4) rolled hem would be ideal.. It's very easy once you get the hang of it.. I've roll hemmed 10 yards of organza in about 10 minutes.. You don't need a special foot, just roll/double fold as you go (Or hem 1/8th then fold it again, and do another 1/8th). It's easier if it's a straight hem.. curves can get wiggly.
Practice it a few times with scrap first.

The skirt on the mascot in the pic is 4 yards of organza with a rolled hem, and it's barely visible.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...89962736_n.jpg

Last edited by kuroi_shi : 01-24-2014 at 08:47 PM.
kuroi_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Penlowe

Ironing the folds before sewing helps. Tedious, but a very successful technique.
Unread 01-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Satine

Do you have scrap fabric to test on? I managed a couple of times to get a very fine hem with a narrow and long zig zag. And it looks like the same techniques was used on some Elven gowns for LotR. It depends on how firm the fibres and weave are though. It can bunch the fabric, but with a narrow zig zag it's also pretty narrow. It does take practice though especially in working out tension and how to work the fabric between foot and feed dogs.
It's also possible to do the same thing with a cord to zig zag over and it'll make a raised hem- with the right cord this can be really reffective.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Since I have a very tight-clamping presser foot on my machine, I'm thinking I might have to handsew it all, but I'll test the machine's ability to do it first with some leftover/scrap. It did handle a heavier chiffon fine, it might work for this sparkly organza. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the tiny rolled hem out first.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Just updating- the rolled hem worked just fine. Couldn't get it REALLY small though and have it stay that way, especially since it was a slight curve and not straight (I think I was using roughly 3/8ths or half an inch total), but I was able to pin it all, and my machine sewed it just fine.

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 01-28-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Penlowe

Yay! Always good to hear a success