Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
nikkimel5

Good vocaloid character for an african american? Pleaseee help!!! :D

Hello! I have a major question. I might be going to otakon next year and I want to cosplay as a vocaloid character. The only problem is that I don't have any ideas on who to be. I was planning to be luka and I have a pink wig, but I'm afraid that I'll look stupid Should I be luka? My skin is like a light brown and the wig is like light pink. I would be meiko but my hair is probably down at the tip of my back. It's a bit longer than her's. I don't know if I would be recognized as her or not. And plus, I think her red outfit is a little inappropriate for me. I'd have to wear a black shirt under it. Which vocaloid should I be between: Luka, Rin, Miku, Meiko, or Gumi? Pleaseee helpp Thank you!!! :
nikkimel5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Skyefrost
Not Always Right

Luka definably but have a dark pink rather then a lightest pink.

But if you want other suggestion I would suggest:

that you do the newest vocaloid to stand out! (I would adjust the pants to be longer if you feel exposed)

Meruri/Merli She is soooo pretty and her sister is too. (your skin would probably look good with her hair too) Aoi lapriz

Last edited by Skyefrost : 02-12-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Skyefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
nikkimel5

Thank you so much! I don't know where to get the merli cosplay. I've seen it on cosplay f u but I don't know if i should buy anything. And heh heh about the luka wig... I forgot to add this .. I ordered my wig off of amazon and turns out it came in a pale pink instead of a dark pink :'( ... heh heh... Any more suggestions? lol
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
EmiBubble
@Emi_Bubble

If you are going to order it off online here's one, but there is a small market of it. Makes me think it is easier to just make one.

Current Projects
2014 Winter Miku (Vocaloid)
Flandre Scarlet (Touhou Project)
Shameimaru Aya {Kourindou Tengu VER.} (Touhou Project)
Megurine Luka {Senbon Sakura VER.} (Vocaloid)

emi4bubble@gmail.com
EmiBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
nikkimel5

For some reason the link is a scam. Do you mind typing it again please? I was thinking of dressing up as kaiko too maybe. Have u purchased things off of cosplay f u? And if you did, how was your experience?
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Skyefrost
Not Always Right

She was using cosplay fu I think. For some reason cosplay.com like to censor that company, (they aren't a scam, I think.) EmiBubble, you are too helpful. XD

I would recommend you to commission Csddlink.com because they do a great job, and mostly is cheaper then cosplay fu. (the picture they use is their own). Cosplay fu is great when you can see the finished commission. Csddlink I recommend because they care about your satifaction so you can send back the cosplay for them to resize or even tell them that the color is wrong. (for free) (also have free shipping so I would ask them for a quote)(Go to their original website not their ebay/esty)

just go to the button at the top called "Search " and type "csddlink " you would find reviews of the site, not only from me but other people as well. (if you need more input)

It's fine if the wig is pale, don't worry! you might however have to do your make-up to avoid the wig making your complexion look bad. (use some pink blush and eyeshadow.) Fairy make up will help balance the wig don't worry!

(Check up Gyaru make-up but use foundation that is your skin color!) or Fairy kei make up.

Last edited by Skyefrost : 02-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
nikkimel5

ok Thank you! And have u been to an anime convention? How long are the lines for getting your badges and what time should I get there to pick them up? Btw, I have another idea. You know kaiko right? The little kaito girl? Well I was thinking of doing a matryoshka kaiko costume with a dark blue wig, the jacket, and probably a skirt? What do you think? Sorry if it's a lot of questions! I have sooo many ideas, I don't know where to start!!!
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Skyefrost
Not Always Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkimel5 View Post
ok Thank you! And have u been to an anime convention? How long are the lines for getting your badges and what time should I get there to pick them up? Btw, I have another idea. You know kaiko right? The little kaito girl? Well I was thinking of doing a matryoshka kaiko costume with a dark blue wig, the jacket, and probably a skirt? What do you think? Sorry if it's a lot of questions! I have sooo many ideas, I don't know where to start!!!
Yep, I was part of the 3D animation part of the vocaloid fandom so I know Kaiko, Kaito with his many color brother/cousin lol (Akaito, etc.), Seeu, the western vocaloid, chinese and all.

The lines? depend on the convention (wherever it's big con or little ones) otakon I think is a big one, so early-ish is best Oh, You can also have your badge to have a name, like on my badge it's my real name in the back but in from is my username/cosplay name. (My sister has her badge name as "Do liek mudkips" so anything goes)

Be sure to look at the forum here at otakon section (scroll way down at the firstion forum thingy) when the time is near because people like to arrange photoshoots, meetups and stuff there.

Ohhhhh! Matryoshka cosplay is so cool XD I think it would work, Matryoshka is very recognizable! And there are like ton of vocaloid fans in cons so you can join the fun! Be sure to do the dark dots under your eye thing, to add to it.

Don't worry about asking questions! Just ask away, I seriously don't have a problem answering your questions just shoot me a pm if the question is too long or stuff.
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
nikkimel5

Ok hey when does the registration usually open for otakon? Sometime in March? And how much are pre register badges? And when do they announce guests for otakon?

Last edited by nikkimel5 : 02-12-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
nikkimel5

Oh and by the way, are there black vocaloid cosplayers at otakon too?
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
Skyefrost
Not Always Right

XD You are going to have to check the site for when they announce when they do:
http://www.otakon.com/faq.asp#_Registration
but accorrding to this. "as soon as we can" so there's no answer for both the question on when pre reg and when they annononce the guest. (what you can do is to check it once a month. or something.) (I don't know when they usually open XD cause I'm all the way down here in Texas.)

For anime matsuri (a big anime con) it's usually 10 month in advance, so I think you can compare that.

How much depend on the con...but wow otakon is more expensive then my con. 65 dollars was the last time I checked. 2010 (sorry) But you can avoid paying for it if you volunteer at the con. My friend volunteer to be in the maid cafe and she had fun at my con so the same thing applies.

I suggest you pre reg so that you wouldn't have to pay 80 bucks for regular price....yikes. (that's for a normal badge you can buy a one day badge if you are only going for one day)
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
PrettyKitty13
Kitty Power! Mew!

As a new black cosplayer, I'd love to suggest that you do not have to limit yourself to dark skinned characters.

I understand your concerns with wearing super bright wigs in contrast to your skin color, but in order to get a feel for how it would look, try to edit a picture of you with whatever hair color you please, or, get your hands on a color ring for wig color reference.

I hope I helped somehow.
PrettyKitty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #13
nikkimel5

Thank you for that I just don't have confidince that I'll look good in the wig. But i'll shake it off and have confidence
Unread 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Skyefrost
Not Always Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkimel5 View Post
Oh and by the way, are there black vocaloid cosplayers at otakon too?
Ah! I didn't see this ! Yes, there are a lot of black vocaloid cosplayers. XD In my con and otakon as well. Judgeing from some pictures XD

Like I said if Merli doesn't work, Aoki Lapris is awesome for a black cos player. (If you are looking for suggestions)

But anyhow, The kaiko cosplay would do good with your skin tone. <3
Unread 02-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
nikkimel5

It's ok lol and Thank you again! But another idea just hit me! You know konata right from lucky star and you know how she likes anime and stuff? Well I have seen vocaloid crossovers of konata dressing as miku (not cosplay, but artwork) and it hit me. Why not do a vocaloid crossover by konata dressing up from matryoshka? All I have to do is get a blue matryoshka jacket/make my own, get a konata wig and I'm good! Also I was thinking of doing something unique on the back of the shirt. Adding a yellow star from the lucky star from the cheerleader's outfit. You know the star in the middle of their dress when they did they big cheerleading dance for the last episode of lucky star? Either that or add the lucky star logo on the back of the jacket, get a chocolate cornet bag (
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Star-Bre...lucky+star+bag
, or get a lucky star pin and add it on the front of the jacket, which one do you think I should pick, the bag, the pin, or the star) ? What do you think? Plus, would I be aloud to be in the vocaloid photoshoot if I dress like that? It IS from vocaloid but just a crossover of lucky star?

I've also heard that people have done the same thing but with black butler and other anime shows, they have it for artwork too (ex. someone cosplayed as ciel in a matryoshka jacket)

Last edited by nikkimel5 : 02-13-2014 at 03:36 PM.