Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
lemuries

Sequins or rhinestones?

I'm a little stumped on a mental exercise.
my favorite card game just came out with new characters, and one of them is Ephara, God of the Polis.

She sparkles like the cosmos.
If you were to make this cosplay, would you represent the sparkles with rhinestones or sequins?

Oh, and if you'd use rhinestones, do you have an opinion on hotfix rhinestones? They are brand-new to me.

Thanks for looking, and double-thanks for any answers!
lemuries is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Rhinestones would look more like "stars" to me than sequins. Rhinestones also seem to come in more variety with regards to size, color, and finish.

Hotfix rhinestones can fall off over time and with handling. I haven't worked with them enough personally to be able to tell you if there's some brand that's got better adhesive strength and durability. But, one of my friends has used hotfix crystals on a number of her costumes and the falling off thing is something she's mentioned happening after a couple wearings, storing the costume, transporting it, pulling it out again, etc. So, if you do hotfix, you might want to buy extras so you can replace any that might fall off, and be extra gentle in how you store and transport the costume.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Penlowe

Rhinestones all the way, budget allowing. They easily will cost 4 times what sequins will, but will also look good longer than sequins.

I second the hot-fix issues. I work in a major arts and crafts chain, I see football moms coming in for replacement stones on their team spirit tees half way through the season. Prong set looks better and lasts longer.
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Mae Bliss

I would use really small rhinestones, or maybe crystal beads since they'd be easy to sew on
Mae Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
TenshiNoMizu

I also gotta say rhinestones. Even though they'll cost a lot more - the effect will be so much better.

- No cons in the near future

Working On:
  • 'Raver' Versions of the original 4 starter Pokemon
  • Floral Fallal Yuna (Final Fantasy X-2)
  • Secret <3
TenshiNoMizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
bluemacaroons

I'd have to say rhinestones, but it might be interesting if you added in some lighter sequins rather than the bright silver ones to add a bit of shine but use them as a kind of gradient effect, if you have one specific area that's very 'stary' and you don't want it to look choppy
bluemacaroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
SailorDoom

Rhinestones!! They do cost more, but are easier to apply and will look great -- you won't be sorry! I have had really good experiences using both Gem Tac and Jewel-It glues to adhere rhinestones to fabric. On my last project only one rhinestone (out of over 50) fell off, and that was after several washings. As with others, I have also had bad luck with Hotfix stones. You can use medical syringes to apply the glue. For my first big project (1000's of stones! Lots of $$$! No regrets!) I ordered a Precision Glue Applicator Kit from Whitestones Rhinestones here in WA. It allows you to apply lots of stones in a short(ish) time (which might be desirable for your project). Then I realized that it was just a bunch of plastic syringes with different size needle tips and the ends cut off. My mom is a nurse, so she was able to get ahold of more from her hospital as replacements. Good luck with your project-- it's going to look great!
SailorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Amikyo
Stage Crew Zeus

Rhinestones, rhinestones, rhinestones! And if you have the budget for it, I did a dress where I used about 1/3 Swarovski crystals and 2/3 rhinestones, and it looked waaaay better than rhinestones alone. The crystals can get expensive, but if you use coupons they aren't too bad. And they're so much sparkly-er!

I used 'rhinestone glue' that I got a JoAnn's, and I've yet to had any fall off, even with hauling my dress around, storing it, wearing it, dancing in it...you get the idea. I think the glue was called "Jewel-it" or something like that, and its been pretty great so far, and lets you use whatever type of rhinestone you want. And it wasn't very expensive.
Shiina, Angel Beats (postponed)
Mulan, Mulan 5%
Amikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
lemuries

Thank you VERY much about the hint about rhinestone glue and about avoiding hot-fix versions. Nothing worse than investing in materials that don't do what they promise!
lemuries is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Taytora

Excellent -another MTG fan! I'm currently working on my 1st cosplay, Elspeth, Sun's Champion!
As an out of the box thought, what about cellophane glitter? If not stand alone, it could create a more filling backdrop for the rhinestones.
I'm reminded of this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BiI3Hz2bZw
I saw some at Michael's Craft Store http://cdn.glimmerbug.com/wp-content...1-768x1024.jpg
Taytora is offline   Reply With Quote