Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
souka

Naruto: Kimimaro advice?

I'm working on getting together a Kimimaro costume -- will probably make the shirt, and find the pants, but the thing that is really giving me trouble is the bow.

All of the Sound-nin, including Orochimaru, are always wearing this ridiculous curtain-rope bow that is somehow gravity-defying. I have no idea how to go about getting that done... does anyone have any ideas? I attached a page from chapter 201 from Inane where you can sort of see the bow.

The other question I have is-- I have black hair, and Kimimaro has white/blue hair. ;_; Does anyone have experience with bleaching hair (I've never bleached my hair) and whether I can possibly get my hair light enough to dye it bluish, or if it will just all fall out... I have a strong aversion to wigs. Besides which, color aside, my hair is fine for Kimimaro. ;[
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chapter201_04.jpg (128.6 KB, 56 views)
souka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Alie_N

Quote:
Originally Posted by souka
All of the Sound-nin, including Orochimaru, are always wearing this ridiculous curtain-rope bow that is somehow gravity-defying. I have no idea how to go about getting that done... does anyone have any ideas? I attached a page from chapter 201 from Inane where you can sort of see the bow.
;[
I'm working on the belt right now, so I can't say that this is going to be "end-all-be-all" advice (as if anything of mine is?) ^^;;; , but this is what I've done so far...

For the base, I used some thick wire, folded four times over for reinforcement. Then I bent it to allow ~18" at each end as the end of each bow, and looped about 36 inches for the loop. The rest will wrap around the waist. I sort of treaked mine so that there are "hooks" or "corners" attached to the base of each loop so that they will attach and the strength of the belt will lie in the fact that the loops cross and create a nook of sorts so it won't fall off.

The next step is the wrap. I rope-type stuffing (1" in diameter) at the local fabric store. If you're going to do it this way, I warn you now, get a _lot_ of it. Then get some cheap fabric to wrap the stuffing. Make 4" strips along the long side of the fabric and sew the strips together to make one huge strip. Then you can a) hand stitch it on the stuffing or b) machine stitch it, turn it inside out, and guide the stuffing into the wrap.

Take the spare fabric and secure it around the base so the base color doesn't show through the wrap. Sew the end of the wrap onto the fabric end of the base and start wrapping. ^^ When you're finished, cut off the remaining wrap you don't need, save it, and hem the end of the belt.

The remaining wrap will be the "knot" portion of the belt. Use a few thick snaps at each end, wrap it around the hooks a few times and snap it where no one can see. And... umm... bingo. ^^;;;

I hope this gave you something to get your brain running, so you can think of an idea that is more sound and efficient than this. ^_^
Alie_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 03:27 AM   #3
souka

wow, thanks.... that sounds really complicated. :')

well, I may be a slacker and just find some really thick rope and see if I can dye it or something, heh. gravity-defying? what gravity-defying?

thanks for your help though.
souka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
Uchiha Kumiko
Bakakage

Maybe you can somehow get a strong wire inside the rope. Hehe, I'm just a n00b at cosplaying, though, so if thats impossible or bad or something then...umm...*points* look! There's a dead bird in the sky!! *scampers away*
Uchiha Kumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:17 PM   #5
pyrosam
APPLE JUICE NOTHING MORE!

I would staple gun the rope together.... so its in the correct form... then staple the formation wire and then die it so its died in the shape you want it.... but then you could attach it to a different belt or something too :3
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
Xais
Hates your face!

Well bein as I'm starting the same costume for otakon (Though I may just decide to do Sakon instead havin fun making another head) but I was thinking of using the pool noodles an twisting them an such but they work as far as bein light enough not to be a bother and also it's thick enough.

On the color side Kimimaro has yet to be seen in the anime or any color page. The only one colored was done by the scanlators as to my understanding so his hair could range from purple to yellow to red to whatever. Just have fun with it.
Unread 05-22-2004, 12:36 AM   #7
kitkatkashi
The kit-kat-bar Kakashi

Another person(s) familiar with Kimimaro! *huggles* anyhow..

-shudder- I cant think of how many people who are going to cosplay as Haku or such.. they are behind anyway.. *thinks* anything here needing help? o.o
kitkatkashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 12:38 AM   #8
kitkatkashi
The kit-kat-bar Kakashi

To get the rope..'gravity-defying' you could attempt (as early stated) to use wire..I think there is a certain thing similar to that sash/belt.. *thinks*
kitkatkashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Aer
rawr

As long as your hair is styled like his, I think that would be okay.

Personally I think it would be kinda cool (and creepy!) if you had bones sticking out of you, or at least some bone weapons. lol >.>
Aer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
evanae

ok...since i see that a lotta ppl have given u advice on the bow thingamajiggah, i'll talk about the hair. basically, if u have black hair and want it white and u bleach it, i guaranteed u that either ur hair will be permanently damaged from all that bleaching or it will fall out or both. soo...maybe u should get a wig even though u don't like them cuz if u don't have his white hair ppl might not recognize u as kimimaro unless u have bones sticking outta u and stuff and also those two dots on his forehead. ok hope that kinda helped. ^_^
Unread 05-23-2004, 02:02 PM   #11
evanae

ok...since i see that a lotta ppl have given u advice on the bow thingamajiggah, i'll talk about the hair. basically, if u have black hair and want it white and u bleach it, i guaranteed u that either ur hair will be permanently damaged from all that bleaching or it will fall out or both. soo...maybe u should get a wig even though u don't like them cuz if u don't have his white hair ppl might not recognize u as kimimaro unless u have bones sticking outta u and stuff and also those two dots on his forehead. ok hope that kinda helped. ^_^