Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 04-20-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
kukuty8700

Cool Shield Maiden Dress

Ok so I'm new to cosplay anything and I had my uncle make me this costume (costume moocher ;P) I want your feedback on it please! Flames are welcome! The only thing that isn't accurate is the lace around the bottom and around the chest area. It's two pieces and the sleeves are longer than the skirt itself. @-@
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_0324Image0001.JPG (176.5 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by kukuty8700 : 04-20-2004 at 10:27 PM.
kukuty8700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

First thing I notice is that the ties on your arms are too low, and the sleeves are lacking the puff at the top. I also think the vest is a bit too long/high... perhaps it should be a bit lower cut at the top? Did you have it end at your hips? You might just have a long torso; that happens! We're not all built the same, ne? (if we were it'd be mighty boring). I couldn't tell if your vest has the 'quilting' lines in it, the pic is too small and not quite detailed enough. Also, the trim runs around on to the back of the vest; I can't quite tell if you did this, but it doesn't look like it.

It looks good though; I like the color and the material used for the vest. Many props to your Uncle! That's awesome. Not many people's uncles (or fathers, or grandfathers, etc) sew their costumes. And don't worry about that trim - it's near impossible to find something that looks the same.

If you wanted to work on a bit more accuracy, check out www.alleycatscratch.com, or the LOTR_costume group in Yahoo (run by the same people). Incredibly helpful and so many pictures and discussion on details.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
kukuty8700

Yeah alleycatscratch is where my uncle and I found the patterns and the larger pictures. The lace didnt go all the way to to back and the sleeves actually did have ties but they unravelled and I had to cut them.
It's not really a vest (the vest is a velvety material) it's actually a pull over, my uncle added the sleeves and the cuffs over the top of the neckline. But I really do have to give him props for it he did a great job and he's been doing things like this for me since I was really young ^-^ and considering we were on opposite sides of texas XD. My torso is actually quite short it's my legs that are long!! Thanks for the positive response and the constructive critisism

I can try to get more detailed pictures but im sure you can imagine it.
Unread 04-21-2004, 01:53 AM   #4
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Interesting idea if I understand this correctly - the dress sleeves are sewn to the vest?

My friend's vest is also pull over (It has to be based on the design) with laces up the back. I think she used a suede or something.

If you want to fake the ties thing, perhaps sew elastic in a circle, and wear that to keep the sleeves puffed up, then tie the ties overtop to hide the elastic? It should stay up that way (I did something like this with stretch lace over bell sleeves, just for a certain look). You could even add a stitch or two around the ties sewing them to the dress at where the top of them would be, then they wouldn't fall down.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 02:21 AM   #5
kukuty8700

Yes there sewn in where normally the dress' sleeves would have come out from. I think part of the sleeve malfunction may be because of that, and because the sleeves are so heavy. Like I said they are longer than the skirt itself x.x and the cord (type used for pillow tassles) wasn't strong enough to hold it so that was another problem. All in all I liked my costume, and it's also my first ;P Although it wasn't made by me T-T but still. Proud to wear it ^-^ I'm going to try to see if I can get Velvet red sleeved dress Arwen wears in the Return of the King, I dont think I'm planning on wearing the Shield maiden dress anytime soon T-T So I'll see if I can fix the sleeves so they can come out right and look a little more authentic