Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 04-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Melvin's Glasses

I finally got around to working on my Melvin glasses this morning and here's the finished result:

I'm using my older glasses for this, cut/tore plastic wrap (wasn't easy) to a sizeable shape and taped it around the rims. Then used black model paint for the swirls.

likely premire first version of Melvin at the NE Cosplay Picnic this Saturday, though I don't have the jacket yet (its being worked on)- likely wearing black slacks and a tucked-in white t-shirt (next time use a real button-down dress shirt).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg melvin_glasses.jpg (26.1 KB, 165 views)

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Adara

Ehh, the tape looks pretty obvious. I would try using the kind thats very transparent. Melvin's glasses are round.. You could probably go find a pair of round sunglasses and pop the lenses out, or leave them in if the color isnt very noticeable. The swirls look kinda big and uneven.
Not a very neat job (sorry if any of this was offensive, but you did ask for a critique x.x;; ), but I find this amusing. ^^ I'd never even thought of anyone cosplaying Melvin before. Im interested in seeing the whole costume when it's done ^_^

2011 cosplay: Bellatrix LeStrange, Alice (SyFy miniseries)

Last edited by Adara : 04-21-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Adara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I know the tape was obvious, I tried hiding that best I could- plastic wrap isn't the easiest to try to manipulate without screwing it up. With the glasses shape the ones I used are my old pair (I wear glasses normally and if you look in my gallery, I got a more recent pic of me with less-geeky glasses). Heh, I tried doing the swirls best I can, I'll try improve on them by AnimeNEXT methinks.

But thanks, alot of people have liked them so far too!

Shinigami Photos
Unread 04-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
KuroBara
dog of the military

Hmm...I'm confused about the tape. Are you trying to protect your glasses from the paint?

Crayola makes a product that is made to go on glass. It's very easy to use, and will come off the surface later. I forget what it's called, I believe it's window paint. Since it's Crayola you should be able to find it in lots of places. It comes in easy-to-squirt pens so your lines will come out neater (they are rather inconsistent). You could draw or print out a swirly template, place plastic over it, draw the design, let it dry, then stick it on your glasses.

edit: It's called Crayola Window FX Window Cling Kit. Oh, I just remembered, aren't Melvin's glasses opaque? As in, when you look at him, you can't see his eyes? I achieved this with my Naru glasses by popping out the lenses, spraypainting them silver, then popping them back in. The downside, of course, is that you can only wear them for photos. Aah, self-imposed blindness for the sake of accuracy. To get the opaque look you could also look for mirror sunglasses, the kind that don't let others see through the lenses. You'll still only have partial vision because of the swirls, but it'd be better than no vision at all.

As the first poster said, aren't Melvin's glasses round? And I believe they're really big, as in they take up 1/3 of his face. Maybe some oversized glasses from a party / costume store as a base? Hmm...a link to a reference pic would be helpful.

Last edited by KuroBara : 04-21-2004 at 10:38 PM.
KuroBara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Actually my old glasses, which I'm using for Melvin, are pretty big compared to my current ones. :P

What about this fabric-coloring stuff, I think the company is called Tulip? A friend mentioned it to me late last night.

Shinigami Photos
Unread 04-22-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
KuroBara
dog of the military

Why would you want FABRIC paint if you're painting on glass?

Actually, since you didn't post a pic of the glasses on your head, I have no idea what size they relative to your face. I was just passing along my suggestions to make your costume more accurate.
Unread 04-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I'll try to get a pic of me wearing them later on.

Shinigami Photos
Unread 04-22-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Ok, took a pic of me with the glasses on. Not the best, but gotta do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg melvin_glasses2.jpg (13.0 KB, 77 views)

Shinigami Photos
Unread 04-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
DarkindDreamer

actually YES use tulip paint.. it sounds funny and strange yes, but it peels off glass and plastic easily while staying on well unlit you need to take it off. it would also give a really good finish to the glasses and will have a shine of it's own. i know this works because i have used it on glass tables and wood dressers when i feel like getting crafty, then when i get bored with it, it peels right off! so yes their is reason to use fabric paint on something that is not fabric.
think of it as:
fabric paint + porous surface(fabric)= Permanent
fabric paint + smooth suface= Removable .... this is why bottled fabric paint doesn't do well on satin sometimes.. it's to smooth
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
KuroBara
dog of the military

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkindDreamer
actually YES use tulip paint.. it sounds funny and strange yes, but it peels off glass and plastic easily while staying on well unlit you need to take it off. it would also give a really good finish to the glasses and will have a shine of it's own. i know this works because i have used it on glass tables and wood dressers when i feel like getting crafty, then when i get bored with it, it peels right off! so yes their is reason to use fabric paint on something that is not fabric.
think of it as:
fabric paint + porous surface(fabric)= Permanent
fabric paint + smooth suface= Removable .... this is why bottled fabric paint doesn't do well on satin sometimes.. it's to smooth
Ahh, good to know. I personally only have experience with the aformentioned glass paint, so that's why I recomended it. Hmm...I have plenty of Tulip fabric paint and some very boring windows...

Unread 04-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

If anyone who has this Tulip stuff is coming to the NE Picnic on Sat could you bring it please so I can see what it looks like when I buy it please?

Shinigami Photos
Unread 04-22-2004, 08:58 PM   #12
jeans
I like cheese x.x

Tulip is fabric paint, you should be able to find it at any craft store. It's a rather popular product.
jeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
Adara

I just got some Tulip paint at JoAnn Fabrics a few days ago. They had it on clearance for $1 a bottle! I'm not sure if thats how much it is at all JoAnns, but if you have one near you, I suggest you go check it out. ^-^

2011 cosplay: Bellatrix LeStrange, Alice (SyFy miniseries)

Last edited by Adara : 04-23-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Adara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #14
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I'll check out my local Michael's on Monday definitly!

Shinigami Photos
Unread 04-23-2004, 10:57 PM   #15
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

I do agree that the tape makes them look sort of funky... maybe try that paint, or find a black-colored static-cling sheet and use an exacto knife to cut out the shapes that you want... then just cling them to your lenses =P
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote