Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 04-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic

FF6 Opera solo?

I might or might not be going to Anime North (depends on whether the fast ferry is up and running yet), but if I do I want to go as Celes and enter the Masquerade. Since I already know her aria in FF6, I was thinking I could just sing that as my skit even though I'm dressing as regular Celes, not opera Celes. I might even be able to pull off singing it in Italian so it sounds more like a real opera aria.

Should I pre-record this rather than depending on a microphone? And does anyone know of some background music that's better than the original sound track (more like a real opera)? Also, should I shorten it rather than singing all the verses so people don't get sick of it?
Xanthe Kelsylva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

There is an orchestrated version of the Aria de Mezzo Caraterre from the FF6 Grand Finale album, and there is also a full orchestration of the entire opera scene (I don't know which CD it's from, though)... but both of those versions have somebody singing in them already, and I don't know if you want to sing over already-existing lyrics... It would be perfect if you could somehow take out the woman already singing... >_<

You could use Celes' Piano theme as your background... I am looking at it now and it seems to be just a hair over 3 minutes long. Those are just suggestions from what I know, though... maybe other people know of other orchestrations of the Aria de Mezzo Caraterre... Maybe you can have someone play Celes' theme on a piano behind you, haha ^_^

As for shortening it, I really am torn on the issue... I have experienced people perform a song who were absolutely wonderful at it, confident, interesting, had a beautiful/captivating/strong voice, etc... I didn't want them to leave the stage, haha. But some people aren't like that... so I guess it depends on the person singing (as well as the target audience), you know? (If I enjoyed the singer's voice, I know I would *love* to hear the whole song sung). Maybe you can just play around to see if it's possible to cut the song down to save time... if it's in Italian any changes in the song probably won't be too noticeable because I imagine most people wouldn't be able to understand it.

But since it is in another language, I would maybe suggest using your body language to convey the emotion of the lyrics to make it more understandable/interesting/engaging, you know? Try to make the audience understand that the song is about loving somebody far away... Since a lot of people there will probably have no idea what the lyrics will be, haha...

I have no idea about pre-recording... it might be a good idea, because it will be guaranteed to be heard, and the singing can be perfect... but I think it's a hundred times cooler if someone sings live, although it really stinks when you can't hear the person.

And that's all the feedback I have for right now... Probably not much help but oh well, at least it's something. XD

Last edited by Mizuho : 04-23-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Lynzie
i'm back!

I just want to say that if you do it, good luck. I'd love to be there to see it. <3
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic

Ok, I tried singing the song earlier, both in Italian and English, and I decided that English was easier because it's easier to get the meaning across (although it sounds really cool in Italian). I also got the piano version of Celes' theme, as well as a couple of remixes, but those wouldn't be as good because they don't sound classical. One is a dance remix and the other is called "the LSD Conduct" and is more of a spoof on the opera than anything. It would be funny to see someone do a spoof of the opera with that, but I prefer to work with a group if I'm doing comedy. lol, maybe some time...

So I decided to either use the piano recording or to record myself playing Celes' theme on the harp and use that as my background music. I tried singing with the piano version earlier and it wasn't long enough for the entire opera, only 2 verses. If I played it on the harp, it would add to the performance and I could make it as long or short as I want. I think that would be twice as cool if I had a unique recording for the background music. I just need to "borrow" my friend's recording equipment for a few days.

I think I will go ahead and record it because I've had awful luck in the past with microphones breaking, bad acoustics, you name it. Plus that will allow me to focus on the acting rather than remembering all the words.
Unread 04-23-2004, 10:45 PM   #5
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

Oh my gosh, a harp would sound beautiful! I wish I were going to Anime North to hear it. If the recording turns out good upload it to OCRemixes or something for people to download... a rendition done with the harp sounds like something I'd love!
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

I think you should probably pre-record it. Alaria did Opera Celes for Anime Expo last year and she sang in italian a capella up on stage. She has an incredibly loud beautiful and amazing voice.. but in the back it was impossible to hear. So unless you have a microphone or something you should probably think of prerecording.
Unread 04-24-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

if you choose to pre-record it you can try and damper out the vocals on the songs and if you do it just right with your voice you can come close to replacing the vocals in the song with your own. It'd take time so start planning now, but a good sound program I highly recommend is cool edit pro.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic

I've decided to definately pre-record this, since my voice isn't very loud and it would defeat the whole purpose if no one can hear me. lol. Anything else I should keep in mind? Should I exaggerate my motions, wear stage makeup, and all that?
Unread 04-28-2004, 02:18 AM   #9
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Contestants don't get microphones on stage at Anime North anyways, so you'd have to record unless you happen to have a huge opera voice. XD And yes, stage makeup is always encouraged for masquerades.

And I'd definitely encourage you to shorten the song. Masquerade audiences have very short attention spans and the AN masq typically has at least 80 entries. Solo entries have a time limit of 1 minute. You want to come on, be impressive, then leave them wanting more. If you hang around onstage too long, people will get bored and then that's all they'll remember of you.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
Trinity
Here we go again!

I'm agreeing with the pre-recording idea, just for the reason that you never know when your voice will be at its best. As long as you've pre-recorded it on a good day, you've got really nothing to worry about. And that's also much better for being onstage, especially with never knowing what the acoustics will be like.

I do hope I can see this performance, or at least a video of it if you go through with it, because it sounds like a beautiful idea! Best of wishes!
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote