Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 07-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
AgentTexas
MY WIGS

Advice On Photoshoots!

As it seems, I'll have 2-3 professional shoots for my next con, but I've never done even one. I'll be going as Levi from Attack On Titan and I was just wondering if you guys had any advice? Maybe things you wished you'd known before going into your first professional shoot? The first one will just be me for 30 minutes, the second will be with 2 people(a Mikasa) and the 3rd will be with a group of about 8.

Facebook - Tumblr

-Cons 2015

Ohayocon
Shumatsucon
Colossalcon
Matsuricon
(maybe)Katsucon

-Cosplays

Hanji Zoe - Attack On Titan, 80% (need wig)
School Girl Rukia Kuchiki - Bleach, 0% (not yet started)
Armin Arlert - Attack On Titan, 100%
Levi Ackerman - Attack On Titan, 100%
Eren Jaeger - Attack On Titan, 70% (making shirt)
Taiga Aisaka - Toradora!, 15%(planning)
Ciel Phantomhive - Black Butler, 10%(planning even more)
Nagisa Hazuki - 10% (planning for Colossalcon)
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

If it's your first time I would suggest looking at samples of pics of your character online to get a feel for portraying the character. Don't do it last minute cuz it really takes time to sink in. I always instruct my clients to save samples of their character that they like to their cellphone in the offchance we actually get stuck for poses. Usually what ends up happening with those is that I ask them at the beginning or end if there're any poses or images they just really really like to have and we try to get those, cuz I'll know for sure the client will be happy.

Stay relaxed through the shoot and realize that there's really no "wrong" way for you to perform. Well, maybe one wrong way. And that's the way where you fret too much and don't have fun with it =)

Best of luck!

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos") Contact for photoshoot bookings!
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Yeah, that's all pretty good advice above. Study reference material - original episodes of the show, reference images, even fan art. Know the character, BE the character.

Practice poses and facial expressions in a mirror. To me, facial expression is one of the key elements to a compelling, dynamic cosplay photo. It doesn't even have to be a drastic expression to be dynamic - even a little head tilt or a subtle squint can make a huge difference. Know, of course, that not every facial expression works for every person.

Practice with a friend - even phone-camera snapshots can help you practice and get comfortable, and evaluate how a pose and face will look to the camera.

A competent photographer will help you feel comfortable and give feedback and instruction on posing. However, the photographer might not know the character as well as you, so you've got to do some of the preparation yourself.

Most of all .. as WJS noted above, have fun with it. Lighten up, loosen up, do some silly out-of-character shots.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Definitely have pre-planned poses, and a plan for what to do with props should you have them. Since you're cosplaying SnK, will you have the 3DMG? If so, do you want all of your photos to include those props? You could always take them off (if it's not too much trouble) to vary up the shots you get too.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
SBoo
Photographer

Definitely agree with all the advice above--have a few poses planned out and really get to know the character's mannerisms. An ability to describe the character concisely to a photographer who isn't familiar with him/her will help out a lot too, that way the photographer can help with the poses and plan how he/she will post-process them later.

ShadoCon!
SBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #6
AgentTexas
MY WIGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Definitely have pre-planned poses, and a plan for what to do with props should you have them. Since you're cosplaying SnK, will you have the 3DMG? If so, do you want all of your photos to include those props? You could always take them off (if it's not too much trouble) to vary up the shots you get too.
Yeah, I'll have my gear, I plan on setting it off to the side for some shots so as to have shots of both. Right now I'm just having a hard time finding poses for Levi like everyone has said. Most of them he has his gear, or it's a very generic pose of just kind of standing there. You know, arms crossed, looking disinterested xD Which is fine, but I'm looking for pictures of more dynamic poses at the moment...

Facebook - Tumblr

-Cons 2015

Ohayocon
Shumatsucon
Colossalcon
Matsuricon
(maybe)Katsucon

-Cosplays

Hanji Zoe - Attack On Titan, 80% (need wig)
School Girl Rukia Kuchiki - Bleach, 0% (not yet started)
Armin Arlert - Attack On Titan, 100%
Levi Ackerman - Attack On Titan, 100%
Eren Jaeger - Attack On Titan, 70% (making shirt)
Taiga Aisaka - Toradora!, 15%(planning)
Ciel Phantomhive - Black Butler, 10%(planning even more)
Nagisa Hazuki - 10% (planning for Colossalcon)
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
milkcosplay

try to incorporate some action-like shots, if you have those sword things (i don't know anything about snk im sorry), get on your knees a little, give yourself an intense facial expression, and look like you're about to fight. this pose from some different angles (above you, for example, would be cool--if you were lower than the position of the camera it could almost capture the idea that the photographer is a titan because their angle is higher than yours and they're looking down on you). stuff like this!!
milkcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Use jump shots to your advantage! Levi is a soldier, after all, and they do spend a lot of time in the air/riding the cables too.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote