Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 09-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
CostumeN00b

Recommendation for specific commissions?

Looking to get a commission done from someone who has experience with making any of the Diamond Dog dresses from Moulin Rouge.

Can anyone here give me a recommendation?
CostumeN00b is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Back in the day I made Nini's can-can dress and won awards with it. I haven't done the research on any of the other dancers in probably 15 years but I do have the experience on such dresses in general.

But if you're looking to have one commissioned, be prepared to spend major money. MAJOR. Most of the girls are wearing corsets with a shaped bodice over the top, and many of the dresses are made from very high-end fabrics and embellishments. Nini in particular has 7 tiers of 3-color ombre-dyed taffeta ruffles just on the underskirt with sequin-edged windmill appliques on the outer skirt, which means lots of fabric yardage, sequins, lace, and special technique sewing - and that's just the skirts, that's not even taking into consideration the bead-trimmed bodice and corset. If I were to re-create my Nini for a client I would have to easily charge $500-700 minimum, if they had their own corset already.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
CostumeN00b

Yeah, I figured it wasn't going to be cheap. Kind of why I'm looking for someone experienced. Thanks for the info. That's a really big help.
CostumeN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Glad to help! It's been a very long time but that costume sticks with me even today - although it now belongs to my partner as she fills it out much better.

Really, you don't necessarily need to find someone who's done one before, but you do need to have your own needs prepared before shopping around. Know what you're willing to spend and just how movie-accurate you want it, and find someone with experience building bodices and corsets. The skirts are the easy part by comparison, anyone can attach ruffles to a 6-panel skirt. Any commissioner who has worked with high-end fabrics, knows how to fit a multi-seamed bodice over a corset, and has the intelligence and problem-solving skills to stick the dvd in and do the research on the shaping and the trim and details is probably going to be good enough to take on the job even if they've never specifically done a Moulin Rouge movie replica before.

And anyone who tells you they can do it for less than $300 is probably fooling themselves, if not you. The materials on my Nini cost well over $200 alone, and I cheaped out on the bodice trim. That's not even taking labor into account.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote