Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 08-29-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
Korinnies
Pirate Kween!

I'm at the point that I just want my cosplay back, unfinished

I don't know what to do since I haven't really dealt with anything like this before. I would like to leave the commissioner's name out of this though, as respect to her.

I ordered my costume to be commissioned in December 2013. It was due to be done February 2014. I received the cosplay and was happy. Though, my hat was so tight on the front of my face that I looked like a bird with a beak. On my jacket you could tell which areas weren't sewed together (the fabric was falling away from other fabric), a button broke off right away.....etc. I was really sad about it.

I then found out that I could go to the commissioner and have her make adjustments while I'm there. I spent an extra $30 on it and she said I would have it by Anime Expo. I saw her at anime expo and told her it's ok maybe next month. It's not the end of August and I just want my cosplay back. I don't care if it's been altered or not. I'm running low on time and will be having someone make me a new cape and hat exactly how I wanted in the first place.

I try and message the commissioner and she tells me she's going through a lot, I can understand that, but I really need my costume I paid $450 on. I want the cosplay so bad and don't know what to do. Do I sound bad for wanting it back? What should I say to her next?> I understand life sucks at times but I'm totally okay with her throwing it in a priority mail box and just shipping as is..... =(

Upcoming cons: Anime California 2014, Anime LA 2015, Anime Expo 2015

Next cosplays: X Drake genderbend half dinosaur - One Piece 45%, Ryuko Matoi- Kill La Kill , Rebecca- One Piece 20%
Korinnies is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
BoydRA
Witch of the Mildsauce

Just ask for it back. It's yours, you already paid for it. All you have to do is say "Hey, would you be able to send it back as-is? It's okay if the alterations aren't finished." If, for whatever reason, she refuses to send it back until it's finished, make the point that it should've been finished in February, without needing alterations in the first place. Now you missed wearing it at a convention--it's been months--since it could've been done. That's not your fault, that's hers.

Yes, life gets weird, but honestly that's a hard excuse to use in this situation. If she were going through a rough time, the appropriate (and professional) thing to have done was contact you, tell you that she wouldn't be finished, and gave the alteration cost back with the cosplay.

I wish you luck, and I hope your commissioner is being honest. Just be honest with her, too.

Considering:
Fire Emblem characters
Dynasty Warriors- Yu Meiren

Going to:
Youmacon!
BoydRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Korinnies
Pirate Kween!

Asked for it back ten days ago, haven't heard anything back from her. Right now I messaged her again. She recently within the last day posted onto the cosplay.com commissions board... I really don't know what to do, I just need the costume finished or not...

Next cosplays: X Drake genderbend half dinosaur - One Piece 45%, Ryuko Matoi- Kill La Kill , Rebecca- One Piece 20%

Last edited by Korinnies : 09-05-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Unread 09-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Korinnies
Pirate Kween!

So I talked to my commissioner and now, even after *they* didn't do my cosplay correctly and I paid $30 for their error, I now need to pay almost $20 in order to get it back. So I basically paid them to have it sitting around with them for months and now I have to pay more to get it in the same condition it was in before, then need to pay more to have someone else fix it. They said they won't cover shipping. I'm over this. I'm so livid.

In the contract it says that alterations are FREE.

I can understand me having to pay for alterations (which I did even for this...and they said the $30 was for shipping and alterations, but I thought alterations were free, so wouldn't the $30 be for shipping my stuff back!?) because I messed up, but they did such a shoddy job at sewing, that a huge piece wasn't sewed on properly, buttons fell off when I didn't even do anything because they were attached with a THREAD, a hat that doesn't sit at all or look anything like the reference photos, red paint spattered on my yellow insignia on my hat, a hole in my pleather cape that now won't be fixed and I needed to pay someone to start making me a completely new one, have to have a completely new hat made too, I shouldn't have to pay again! So I paid $450 to have a simple jacket with buttons that are falling off and fabric that wasn't properly sewed together, made. If I add on price for me having someone else re make my stuff (a VERY nice girl is not charging me much because she knows my situation...) I will have paid almost $700 for this "cosplay".

I'm so upset I could cry, because I'm the only one who has had a bad experience with them and now I'm kind of wondering why they didn't feel like doing a good job with this cosplay like they did all others.

Last edited by Korinnies : 09-07-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

That's ridiculous. I wish you could actually manage to successfully sue people over such small amounts of money, because a few more legal actions might get commissioners to actually honor their damn contracts.

I'm sorry you went through that and I'm glad someone is fixing it for you out of the goodness of their heart. All you can do is lay out this whole saga in a bad review for the commissioner. Sadly, there is a long trail of carcasses across this forum, of commissioners who started out great with all A+ reviews, but then as time went on something happened to them and suddenly they started short-changing and ripping off customers left and right. The only way to prevent another Myakios situation is to honestly let other potential customers know about your experience.

But, given others' experiences, I would honestly tell her you'll pay her when you have a legit tracking number. There are far too many bad commissioners who would take your $20, claim the package got lost, or charge you again for shipping, again and again and again for a package that never arrives to you.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
AdventurerEmily
Zombie Extraordinaire

If you are both local, you might be able to take this to small claims court since you have a written contract that she has broken. Check with your local laws and see what you can do about it. If she has a business license (which she should) you might be able to get regulatory agencies involved before going to court.