Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 02-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #1
Bloodthirstking
Shall I have you impaled?

"Deadalus Cosplay" (Joe Knoll)

Going by Daedalus Cosplay. His name is Joe Knoll. I, with my brother, commissioned him about two years ago for a mask to help complete my Skyrim cosplay I was working on. I've left this unfinished, as I had been banking on the guy to be trustworthy enough to deliver his promised goods in a reasonable time frame. Be very careful with this guy. He has shown that he's not only able, but willing to scam and cheat people out of their money.

And it's a shame, because the way the props and armor come out are pretty nice, but the problem is that it's a swindle. He claimed about a couple to a few months... two to four, if I recall. It's been two years and I have no product, nor refunded payment.

I've contacted him regularly over this time, roughly in 2-4 month intervals, to check on progress, or updates about our commission. We've been met with everything from "the mold broke", to "it's being shipped", to "it hasn't shipped", to "I'm quitting prop making, so I'll refund your money.".

In this time, we've watched him complete costumes, as well as commissions for others, including those commissioned after - well after - the initial commission for us was allegedly underway. Please bear in mind, that I really, really don't like confrontation, and so I've been unfathomably patient, and speaking very politely and patiently with him whenever I've made contact. Unfortunately, it seems that he has no intention of ever giving us our product, nor of giving us a refund of the money we paid him.

In short, Joe Knoll is apparently little more than a swindler. Taking money, and offering the promised product or compensation if it fits his mood or convenience. I'm extremely irritated that we're out money that we'll likely never see again after so long. I guess I just want people to be aware that this guy is heinously unreliable, and should not be trusted to take on a commission. Please spare yourself the unnecessary wait and stress that my brother and I have had to deal with.

EDIT AND UPDATE: My brother made contact with him again, and he's claiming that he's 3D printing a new mask for us. After two years and countless similar claims, I'm not getting my hopes up. I will update this thread with relevant information if any comes, for better or worse.

UPDATE May 2015: It's now broken past the two year bench mark by over a month, and he STILL has not made good on the deal. The worst part is that he set his paypal to private, not commercial, so we can't file a claim.
* Chaos Space Marine (WH40K)
* Pokemon Surpise
* King Sombra

Last edited by Bloodthirstking : 05-14-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Additional contact made with the guy. Alleged resolution coming. Will keep updating.
Bloodthirstking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
iheartexploding
Moonage Daydream

I am so sorry to hear that,That is really awful.
I personally have never commissioned anything from Joe Knoll.
But you have commissioned me twice and you are good on your word and you, pay quickly, As a witness of your character as a person, I would like to personally declare that you have always kept your word to me, and have always paid in full to anything I have made you, You have never once even made me wait longer than the time requested for a payment.
You are a great buyer Bloodthirstking

future cons cosplays this year:
Sarah-Labyrinth
Rumpelstiltskin-OUAT
Jareth-Labyrinth
Hashirama-Naruto
Kakuzu-Naruto
Magus-Chrono Trigger
Kai-LEXX
iheartexploding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

I am so sorry that this happened to you, Bloodthirstking, I really am.
You have really done everyone a favor by posting your story, though because now, hopefully, there will be no other victims for Knoll to take advantage of.

Do you have any links to his profiles on social media websites by any chance?

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou - 20% Complete! Outfit is done!♥
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou - In the designing phase!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Worn to Animazement 2015!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement 2015

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Bloodthirstking

Not myself. At least not beyond his personal ones, which I don't want to do as a matter of morality (despite his misgivings).

But my brother does know his Youtube channel, so I'll post that once I find out what it is.
* Pokemon Surpise
* King Sombra
Unread 02-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Bloodthirstking

Alright, here's what I found:

Facebook: Facebook.com/DaedalusCosplay

and

YouTube.com/DemonWeasel1990

Fortunately, he seems to focus more on himself than commissions... but then that might be his problem.
* Pokemon Surpise
* King Sombra
Unread 05-14-2015, 02:20 AM   #6
Bloodthirstking

Updated again. STILL no refund, STILL no product. We've broken past two years and a month, almost two now. This is unbelievable. How anyone could call themselves professional while behaving in this manner is beyond me.
* Pokemon Surpise
* King Sombra
Unread 05-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Wow, I hate that "Knoll" is also someone that I've given people videos about in terms of craft foam stuff.
Things like this just shouldn't happen to people.

I assume you've been messaging him this whole time to no avail?

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou - 20% Complete! Outfit is done!♥
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou - In the designing phase!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Worn to Animazement 2015!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement 2015

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
Leslianna

Try calling PayPal. It seems people have had more luck calling rather than just dealing online with it. I don't know if PayPal will be able to help you since the time frame is so long, but maybe they can put a flag on his PayPal account.
Leslianna is offline   Reply With Quote