Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Youmacon

Unread 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
WondererBailey
o3o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
@Wonderer: That just reminds me of a case where a bunch of Germany (Hetalia) cosplayers, all did the Nazi salute...it was not only offensive, but insulting. It's wrong to say "It's okay because it's cosplay." because, well...it's not.

You might be suprised, but this actually offends me, as a German. I'm so sick and tired of people stigmatizising my country and I see such actions from Hetalia cosplayers as racist, because they are thinking that is how you represent this country right.
I believe you have every right to be offended, it's offensive on a level that really surprised and saddened me. At the time I was still rather new to Hetalia, but to hear that people would think doing that was okay just because it's an anime about countries during that time...ugh...It's disturbing when people think that something is okay "..because it's cosplay!" especially when it's absolutely not. :/

I'm against silly playing on stereotypes, so long as they're not racist or insensitive (ie. American's being overzealous with an affinity for fast food. As an American I find that humorously true and not offensive :U). I hope this isn't interpreted as a bad thing...I mean...there are things about ourselves we can find humorous and can joke about...-shrug-

Lushen - [Summoners War] - 40% / Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85%
/ Aizawa Shouta - [My Hero Academia] - Planning

2018 Cons: Kumoricon

W. Bailey Photography
Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Ranma344
Sir Crocodile

For those who are interested, passes just went on sale, and are discounted to $45 for the next 5 days.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Ranma344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #18
MokubaKaiba
I love my Biffles

Went to youma in 2013 and it was GREAT and im a veteran con goer who has been to AX and SDCC among others and its a great con full of great people!
Unread 08-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #19
bashfulbunny

I went to Youmacon 2012 & 2013, and since then, I've been to a few other conventions, and none of them have come even close to Youmacon. There's just so much to see and do! And I love people watching and admiring other people's cosplays, and the size of Youmacon makes that really fun.

One panel that I highly recommend is the Mystery Science Theater panel. I've been in absolute stitches both years.
bashfulbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
Undertaker^^
Wendigo

Gonna be going this year though unlike i earlier thought it seems i may end up cosplaying as just enderman gijinka ( well maybe an eyeless jack if i can get a black hoodie before then ).
Unread 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #21
fam-cosplayphotographer

After seeing the youmacon videos and seeing all the cosplays im definitely going there to do photoshoots. It'll be a blast. Im not sure which day im going, saturday or Sunday...im guessing Saturday would be the most packed with cosplayers?
Unread 09-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #22
bashfulbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonashley View Post
Im not sure which day im going, saturday or Sunday...im guessing Saturday would be the most packed with cosplayers?
Saturday is probably the best day to see cosplayers. Sunday is definitely not because most people are packing up.

Last edited by bashfulbunny : 09-13-2014 at 12:13 AM.
bashfulbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
BoydRA
Witch of the Mildsauce

I plan on going to Youmacon this year, and it was absolutely fantastic last year. Basically, my experience at Youmacon was what inspired me to participate in the cosplaying! And, I didn't even have a pass--we just walked around.

As for the swastika issue--no. Just don't do it. Seriously.
To be honest, it really isn't worth wearing it whatsoever for any event, at all. Regardless. It's too offensive and stirs up too much emotion. Replace it with something else or just leave it blank.
BoydRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #24
DragonGirl007
Dragon Lover

I've been going to Youmacon since 2011 and it is a fantastic convention. The Renaissance Center and COBO Hall are perfect convention venues. The cosplays are stunning and the concerts (particularly Steam Powered Giraffe) are AMAZING. I highly recommend going!
Raven - Teen Titans
DragonGirl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #25
Naruto Uzumaki
A Regular Frankie Fan

My Hans cosplay has an X in the parteiadler where the swastika should be. I don't think it looks any worse for it, and I avoided offending a bunch of people in the process. Inclusion of symbols like that, regardless of screen accuracy, is just going to lead to unnecessary drama and potentially someone from the con staff coming up to you and request you change due to complaints. I don't know about you, but I go to cons to relax and have fun so neither of those scenarios sound great to me.
Naruto Uzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #26
fam-cosplayphotographer

Good call man.
Unread 10-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #27
geisterduels
Geister

I went in like.... 2008 i want to say it was great fun a lot smaller back then went 2 years in a row though both in troy, mi
geisterduels is offline   Reply With Quote