Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Otakon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Michaeljs

Valve 2014

anyone cosplaying as a Valve character this year? tf2, portal/2 l4d/2, half life(and any i forgot)?

Im going as nick from l4d2 and red engineer from tf2.
Michaeljs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Cartoonmaster

EDIT: Current shoot details as of July 19th:

Where/when:
Friday, 7-9 PM @ 4th Floor West Side
Saturday, 9-11 PM @ Indoor Fountains Charles Street

Who:
Cosplayers/fans of all Valve games are invited
I will be coordinating the shoot with help from some familiar faces

RSVP here!
Reblog here!

Current steps:
Planning shoot details, informal post-shoot hangout(s)?

My original post on June 5th below
--------------------
Yes, and wow, is this seriously all we've got here so far this year?

Well, since it's already 2 months till the con and no one has made any plans, I'm just gonna go ahead and get things moving.

The previous locations we used (and were large enough to accommodate a group of our size), the indoor fountains and the 4th floor, have now been made "official" by Otakon this year. (Groups must request slots through Otakon's official form and staff will direct traffic and regulate things.) The official spreadsheet for open/reserved slots in these locations is here. There are almost no timeslots left before 8 or 9 PM.

I'd like to go ahead and grab two timeslots for us before they're gone - particularly a rare midday shoot on Friday. We could probably change things later, but since we always have a big group, I don't think we can afford to wait around and lose all the large shoot locations.

I propose:
Friday, 1 PM, 4th floor
Saturday, 9 PM, 4th floor
...to diversify the times of day. As for location, going instead with the indoor fountains would force an earlier timeslot (11 AM) on Fri that I worry may be too early for arrivals, and on Sat night it would be dark and more difficult to photograph at, judging from the quality of photos I remember seeing last year.

For comparison, last year we ran:
Friday, 6:30 - 8 PM, 4th floor
Saturday, 8 - 9:30 PM, indoor fountains.

Notably, last year we set aside an hour and a half, whereas Otakon will now limit shoots to 55 minutes before the next shoot unless you manage to book a double-length slot. I'm not sure if it's important enough (or even possible) to have the extra time that we attempt to book a late slot, though it's not guaranteed we will remain the last slot if others book after us.

As for actually running the shoots at the con, I'm not so confident about doing that myself, so if anyone with a big voice could lend help with that, that would be appreciated. I just really want to make sure we have timeslots available so we can have shoots in the first place.
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem) - inactive
Cons: Otakon, Setsucon

Last edited by Cartoonmaster : 07-19-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Cartoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Cartoonmaster

I got the confirmation back from Otakon's coordinators.

We got the timeslots:
Friday, 7-9 PM @ 4th Floor West Side
Saturday, 9-11 PM @ Indoor Fountains Charles Street

We've been given 2 hour long (double-length) timeslots right after all the currently booked timeslots, so I doubt we'll have good reason nor the means to really change these, especially as the slots fill up around ours. I guess I will see you there at those times, then?

I will be dressed as BLU Medic from TF2 as seen on the right side of my avatar.

You can email my username at ymail.com to send me a quick/urgent message (e.g. to get my attention back here...or even email me during the con, though I can't guarantee I will see it in good time while I'm running around there).
Unread 06-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Shadow-chan

Does DOTA2 count for this? Because myself and two friends are cosplaying characters from that.
Shadow-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
Cartoonmaster

Oh, now that you say that...that's right, Dota 2 is under Valve too. We haven't had any Dota cosplayers at our Valve shoots in the past, so it didn't occur to me. I think we may have started as an Orange Box gathering that branched out from there. I forget.

If there aren't many Dota 2 cosplayers, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to squeeze you in. Just be aware that our Valve shoots are always very crowded so we have to run on a more strict schedule than smaller shoots. The TF2 portion of our crowd is typically larger than the other games combined, so we typically spend a shorter time on the other games, allow them to clear the area, and then spend the rest of the time going through all the TF2. If you want to spend more time doing other bonus things (like the video project mentioned in your other thread?), you might want to relocate after taking basic shots at the Valve shoot, or maybe schedule a separate shoot altogether. With a smaller gathering, you'd have more freedom in location, time of day, and pacing. You could also try joining up with LoL/WoW into your own combination gathering if there's appropriate overlap there. (I'm not all too familiar with Dota so I dunno what would make more sense.)

Lemme know what you think and keep me posted.

Edit: Just to be clear, you're welcome to join us! (Not sure if my post sounded unwelcoming...) I just want to let you know how things roll so you can plan what works best for you

Last edited by Cartoonmaster : 07-01-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
Cartoonmaster

RSVP form & flyer

I've been thinking...it would be really great to be able to get a decent estimate of attendance to better plan the timing of the shoot. We get a few replies here and there in our Valve threads here but nowhere near the amount of people that end up showing up. I wonder if many people in the cosplay scene now even have accounts here. So I've just drafted a Google form to collect RSVPs without registration, which I plan to attach to a "flyer" post I drafted previously to send around Tumblr. [Edit: draft link removed] Take a peek and let me know your thoughts. Edit: Done! Reblog here

P.S. I can make the results of the RSVP form public and viewable at any time during the survey, but it would also include any nicknames or comments people send in, which seems more iffy to publish. Google gives a nice page with pie charts and tallies at a glance in addition to the spreadsheet it generates, but I can't restrict some parts and not others. I could try publishing updates manually every so often?

Last edited by Cartoonmaster : 07-03-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Cartoonmaster

Bumping this thread as suggested by Otakon's Cosplay Coordination department (OCC), as they would like to see more responses here to show there is interest. Please reply to this thread if you're interested in this shoot!

As noted above, I have posted the shoot information on Tumblr as it seems more people are active there than here.
Please RSVP here, even if you interacted here or on Tumblr, so I can get a good tally.

I am currently working with OCC to try to reach an agreement with another shoot who wishes to be present at our location during the first half (9-10 PM) of our slot on Saturday (9 - 11 PM @ indoor fountains).

Last edited by Cartoonmaster : 07-08-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Unread 07-09-2014, 02:36 AM   #8
lithe-fider
Mistress of DoubleHelix

I plan to come to the Friday one as BLU Spy <3 And help out if you need it!

Current Otakon Cosplay Lineup:
FRIDAY - (maybe Nightmare Stag and) BLU Spy (TF2)
SATURDAY - Good Cop Bad Cop (Lego Movie)
SUNDAY - Will (Hannibal)
Upcoming cons in 2014:
Anthrocon (July 4), Otakon (Aug 8), AnimeUSA (October 8)
lithe-fider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
digitalduckie
Guerilla Cosplayer

I plan to attend Friday night as BLU Scout.

I'm surprised there's not more response here but even without the response here, Otakon has nothing to worry about. There -will- be Valve cosplayers showing up.
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
Bluehentrooper
Imperial Seamstress

I'd like to attend at least one of the shoots. I don't think I'll have a Valve costume this year, but I'll happily take photos for everyone.

Pink Ninja Ranger (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie)
Blu Soldier (Team Fortress 2)
Griselda (Odin Sphere)
Bluehentrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
Cartoonmaster

Yes, actually I may have been somewhat mistaken about the importance of activity in this particular thread as long as we have activity elsewhere. Not to worry. Though all comments are still appreciated!

Also, the shoot conflict has been solved and will not affect our shoot.

Right now we're discussing post-shoot hangout(s) for chatting, drawing...maybe some small games? PJs-if-you-have-them party, maybe? Not entirely sure yet.
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
lithe-fider
Mistress of DoubleHelix

Excited! !!

Current Otakon Cosplay Lineup:
FRIDAY - (maybe Nightmare Stag and) BLU Spy (TF2)
SATURDAY - Good Cop Bad Cop (Lego Movie)
SUNDAY - Will (Hannibal)
Upcoming cons in 2014:
Anthrocon (July 4), Otakon (Aug 8), AnimeUSA (October 8)
lithe-fider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
T'Orlyn
Im not Daredevil

It looks like only Shadow-chan and I are going to be doing DOTA2 unless someone else RSVP'd you about it, so I'm thinking we'll probably just show up at this shoot rather than try to put something together on our own, not enough interest.

It's so weird to me, it's the most played game on Steam, and so little cosplay, lol.

2014 New Cosplay
Featherfall Windrunner ~*!DOTA2!*~
Dread of the Gleaming Phantom Assassin ~*!DOTA2!*~
Phyla Vell ~*!Marvel Comics!*~
Lisalisa ~*!JoJos Bizarre Adventure!*~
Arioch ~*!Drag-on-Dragoon!*~

Last edited by T'Orlyn : 08-01-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling is hard
T'Orlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Cartoonmaster

Alright, that works. I received 3 RSVPs for Dota 2 via the Google form (out of 23), including yours. The other two RSVPed under the nicknames Nachtt and squidtestes (Squid) and are both cosplaying Crystal Maiden. So there should be at least one other Dota 2 cosplayer there - two if Shadow-chan isn't one of those listed.

We're also on Otakon's official schedule now, so I'm sure more people than are talking online will show up later!
Unread 08-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
T'Orlyn
Im not Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonmaster View Post
Alright, that works. I received 3 RSVPs for Dota 2 via the Google form (out of 23), including yours. The other two RSVPed under the nicknames Nachtt and squidtestes (Squid) and are both cosplaying Crystal Maiden. So there should be at least one other Dota 2 cosplayer there - two if Shadow-chan isn't one of those listed.

We're also on Otakon's official schedule now, so I'm sure more people than are talking online will show up later!
True, true. Just usually don't like to set up anything if I'm not seeing much interest online about it. Besides, I think it will be neat to have the DOTA peeps in with other valve games. Having done TF2 and L4D myself, it's always a fun group.

I've organized shoots that go either way. Sometimes there's a ton of responses and no one shows up and sometimes there's basically no online response and then there's a huge ton of people at the shoot, lol!

Nachtt is Shadow-Chan. Not sure about the other but that's neat. 3 for DOTA!

2014 New Cosplay
Featherfall Windrunner ~*!DOTA2!*~
Dread of the Gleaming Phantom Assassin ~*!DOTA2!*~
Phyla Vell ~*!Marvel Comics!*~
Lisalisa ~*!JoJos Bizarre Adventure!*~
Arioch ~*!Drag-on-Dragoon!*~
T'Orlyn is offline   Reply With Quote