Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 11-20-2002, 07:55 PM   #1
nekochan
PILE IT ON!! xD

manga in other languages

has anyone read manga in other languages besides japanese and english? i was just wondering if you thought the translations were better or worse in other languages. the chinese Love Hina manga was pretty good though the english ones were very good too.. my friend goes online for translations. what do you guys prefer??
nekochan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

I read a lot of mangas in French, and what annoys me the most is that I tend to find a number of spelling mistakes in them. X__X The translations are generally good though so I won't complain...
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
Umi
Bass-inating

My cousin went to Mexico and bought a MKR manga. I wouldn't say it was any better than the English translation but it was definately a lot funnier.

I dunno there is something about Hikaru saying "Ay Caramba!" that is funny beyond words.
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:24 PM   #4
nekochan
PILE IT ON!! xD

Quote:
Originally posted by Umi
My cousin went to Mexico and bought a MKR manga. I wouldn't say it was any better than the English translation but it was definately a lot funnier.

I dunno there is something about Hikaru saying "Ay Caramba!" that is funny beyond words.
LOL!! i can't even IMAGINE that!!
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:39 PM   #5
aeva
H. Potter Connoisseur

Quote:
XD That really does make me laugh.

I own some German Digimon comics. Ish funny. Poorly drawn, but funny. I love seeing their attacks. "Kleine Flame!!" "Kleines Feuer!" "Rotes, heisses Machinengewehr!" "Blitzpfote!" It's so funny when Yama gets mad.... "WAAAAAAS?!" And Daisuke getting all ugh over Hikari... "Sie hasst mich....! Sie hasst mich! Ich habe ihre Liebe verloren. Sie hasst mich. Das habe ich nicht verdient!"
aeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:43 PM   #6
nekochan
PILE IT ON!! xD

Quote:
Originally posted by aeva
XD That really does make me laugh.

I own some German Digimon comics. Ish funny. Poorly drawn, but funny. I love seeing their attacks. "Kleine Flame!!" "Kleines Feuer!" "Rotes, heisses Machinengewehr!" "Blitzpfote!" It's so funny when Yama gets mad.... "WAAAAAAS?!" And Daisuke getting all ugh over Hikari... "Sie hasst mich....! Sie hasst mich! Ich habe ihre Liebe verloren. Sie hasst mich. Das habe ich nicht verdient!"
oh! have you seen dragon ball z in german?? my friend told me that the kame-hame-ha is translated into "POWER OF THE ANCIENTS!!!!!!!!" hehe... i thought that was so cool and yet so funny at the same time
Unread 11-20-2002, 09:10 PM   #7
aeva
H. Potter Connoisseur

>.> I don't watch/read Dragonball Z. But yeah. Anime is huge in Germany, apparently. I've seen the German Digimon dub, and it scares the crap out of me. I want to CRY when I hear Patamon's voice. It has scarred me for live. ::quivers in fear::
aeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 09:12 PM   #8
nekochan
PILE IT ON!! xD

hehe that's so cool though. patamon's english voice wasn't that great either!! too squeaky!! then again.. digimon gave me a headache after two years. ::sweatdrop::
Unread 11-21-2002, 03:55 AM   #9
Little-Suki

Yep!There's sometimes the anime dubs that just get too boring.
Unread 11-21-2002, 09:20 PM   #10
SleepingKirby
Ride on a shooting star!!

manga comes in English?!? I have like one english manga. The rest are Chinese. *mental note, gonna need new book self soon.*

Click here for random Kirbyness.
SleepingKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 09:45 PM   #11
nekochan
PILE IT ON!! xD

really? ohh go to borders.. the one at northridge mall if you live in LA has a HUGE manga selection!! it's like.. one or two walls fulL the last time i checked!!
Unread 11-23-2002, 05:30 PM   #12
SleepingKirby
Ride on a shooting star!!

eek, northridge!!! Too far drive, nothing there, don't wanna go!!! Besides, I prefer San Gabriel.

Click here for random Kirbyness.
SleepingKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2002, 08:40 PM   #13
Kurenai

Lessee...before manga was a big market or even existed here in the states (I think I was like 12 or 13), I went up to Montreal and bought myself most of Sailor Moon and half of Magic Knights Rayearth in french because I was so excited to find manga ^_^ I picked up some Trigun (the new pretty color one) and Lost Universe, as well as Saint Seiya in Italy...(it was SOOOO CHEAP there) and I found myself a spanish dubbed tape of Lain. It's fun to watch : )~
Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2002, 09:07 PM   #14
Scarlet Phoenix

When I went to Montreal last summer, I picked up a sailormoon Manga in french. I don speak French too well, though, so it looked even cornier than normal. But the manga was of so much better quality than the English ones! The cover of the french one was light blue and had a beautiful picture on it, but the English cover of the same story was copied so badly it came out purple! oy-la, what a pain

"Happiness is like peeing in your pants... everyone sees it, but only you feel the warmth."
Scarlet Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 03:23 PM   #15
Ceres86

Yes, my stepdad bought me volume 8-12 Sailor moon manga in korean. The thing I hate about it is that sometimes it leaves stuff out and I see mistakes in it. An example would be in beginning of volume 11, they are celebrating Minako and Makoto's bday but in the korean one, its just Minako, no mention of Makoto having a part in it. Other than the very few mistakes in it, all translation is correct. But I would have to say I like the korean version better than the english version being that it holds the pages better and it comes with a color artwork and the pages are not like xerox paper.