Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
Kildread
I can fix it!

Here are all the shots I got during AN2014.

If you got your picture taken by the Lutece Twins, Bernard/Roxanne from Megamind or a wierdo in a green t-shirt with a spiky hairdo, that was me.

My girlfriend has more shoots I will parse through later, including the Disney shoot from Sunday.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #17
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Least favourite event/moment: The religious protest and all the people swarming them like they were aliens.... They were voicing their opinion/belief, so what? They have theirs, you have yours, you can agree, or disagree. That's it nothing special.. gees

-the religious demonstration that occurred on Saturday that distracted participants of photoshoots, brought out troublemakers cursing at them, people taking pictures of them... really guys... was that necessary?
Wait, somehow we were the troublemakers? Those guys weren't simply having/voicing a belief, they were openly calling us all evil for the pettiest of reasons and trying to make us convert. A girl got told she "supports death" for having blood makeup on her face. A girl with her cleavage showing got told that she's "one of the stones cast to lead men astray". Anyone who admitted to being Catholic was told they're a sinner for praying to Mary. We were all told we're "broken", we don't love or care for our fellow man {mere moments before the wipeout that proved we most certainly do}, "fun is a code word for sin", we're wasting our lives and "rejecting who God wants [us] to be", etc. They continuously talked/yelled over everything we said as soon as they knew we had a good point. They told me I'm proclaiming myself a prophet, one of them practically daring me in an incredibly smarmy manner to explain why he's wrong {"Go ahead, Mr. Prophet, tell me what God wants if you're such a brilliant expert!"}, over my refusal to say they're right about God giving a shit about Anime North. No one asked for them to come, I'm pretty sure they weren't authorized to be there, since they disappeared shortly after the wipeout caused the police and a number of staff members to take notice, and they were forcing their religion down our throats, going on for hours as if they were actually going to convince anyone to strip off their costumes and give up their love of everything they enjoy. So no, I say they deserved every single nasty word thrown at them and every video and picture taken. They wanted to be a spectacle, they became one.
FanFare Geek Fest 2
FrostCon 2015

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Equius Zahhak - Standard {98%} for Homestuck Halloween Picnic and FanFare Geek Fest 2
Totakeke {90%} for AN15
L {75%} for AN15
The Signless {50%} for FrostCon 2015
Sable Able {50%} for CB15
Penelope Mouse - Sly 3 design {25%}

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #18
Koi
Promiscuous Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
Wait, somehow we were the troublemakers? Those guys weren't simply having/voicing a belief, they were openly calling us all evil for the pettiest of reasons and trying to make us convert. A girl got told she "supports death" for having blood makeup on her face. A girl with her cleavage showing got told that she's "one of the stones cast to lead men astray". Anyone who admitted to being Catholic was told they're a sinner for praying to Mary. We were all told we're "broken", we don't love or care for our fellow man {mere moments before the wipeout that proved we most certainly do}, "fun is a code word for sin", we're wasting our lives and "rejecting who God wants [us] to be", etc. They continuously talked/yelled over everything we said as soon as they knew we had a good point. They told me I'm proclaiming myself a prophet, one of them practically daring me in an incredibly smarmy manner to explain why he's wrong {"Go ahead, Mr. Prophet, tell me what God wants if you're such a brilliant expert!"}, over my refusal to say they're right about God giving a shit about Anime North. No one asked for them to come, I'm pretty sure they weren't authorized to be there, since they disappeared shortly after the wipeout caused the police and a number of staff members to take notice, and they were forcing their religion down our throats, going on for hours as if they were actually going to convince anyone to strip off their costumes and give up their love of everything they enjoy. So no, I say they deserved every single nasty word thrown at them and every video and picture taken. They wanted to be a spectacle, they became one.

The best response to that type of "protestor" is to not give them any attention at all. These sorts of people feed off of the attention, positive OR negative, that they get from their targets. I myself have tried to argue with these kind of religious.. haters? As reasonable as you are, and as illogical as they are it's really a fight you cannot win, because as long as they have your attention they are achieving what they wanted.

In essence they are the human embodiment of trolls, and the only way to take away their power is to ignore them, and if they harass you to call either con or hotel staff and have them removed.

TLDR: DON'T FEED THE TROLL.
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi View Post
The best response to that type of "protestor" is to not give them any attention at all. These sorts of people feed off of the attention, positive OR negative, that they get from their targets. I myself have tried to argue with these kind of religious.. haters? As reasonable as you are, and as illogical as they are it's really a fight you cannot win, because as long as they have your attention they are achieving what they wanted.

In essence they are the human embodiment of trolls, and the only way to take away their power is to ignore them, and if they harass you to call either con or hotel staff and have them removed.

TLDR: DON'T FEED THE TROLL.

Exactly - just leave them do their thing. I am not down playing their religion, they can believe in whatever they want... flamingos for all I care...

There was a "congo" line later on that was surrounding them shouting... something I don't know what... and in turn drawing more and more people to them. With how close they were to the road, could turn into a safety concern, could be a fist fight. With this day and age, you don't know.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #20
jordanhamilton@

Look for my photos!

Hey, I was Sebastian on Friday, Kyoko in the morning of Saturday, Ja'far in the evening of Saturday, and Jack Frost all day Sunday. Send me or link me some photos if you have any!
jordanhamilton@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
sage_blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanhamilton@ View Post
Hey, I was Sebastian on Friday, Kyoko in the morning of Saturday, Ja'far in the evening of Saturday, and Jack Frost all day Sunday. Send me or link me some photos if you have any!
Wrong thread, luv! We have a Did You Take My picture? thread here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=342208
where your post would be more appropriate, thanks!
sage_blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #22
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

^ Wrong topic here is the requests one. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=342208

To those religious protester I would have told them I don't subscribed to their hypocrisy and only God can judge you at the pearly gates.

I'm appalled this trend has migrated to Canada though (bloody bible belt extremists in the States started this). I missed them completely being panels most of the day.

But their are protester during the Toronto zombie walk in 2012 with mega phones shouting that we support death and war at us and that we are the spawn of Satan. >____>

So we growled and shouted brains at them. lol

Who did you cosplay as?:
Laplace no Ma Friday and Regina from Once Upon a Time Saturday.

How many days did you attend for?:
All three and left at 3pm Sunday.

Most memorable event/moment:
Meeting Scott McNeil in the Raddison elevator while in my Regina costume. He basically said I was Epic. lol

Most unexpected event/moment:
Running into a Price Cramming and a Pushing Daisies cosplayers on the Saturday.

Most awkward event/moment:
Nothing too awkward other then Saturday evening after the masquerade this one guy was taking to long to get his point across. lol

Favourite event/moment:
Chilling in the Nominochi with friends and chilling in the green room with others.

Least favourite event/moment:
The insanely long lines at Starbucks but I was half way to the counter there so I stayed.
Missing the MonsterHigh/EverAfterHigh panel again. It always falls on an hour that I can't make it.

Oh my heart embellishment on my book snapped off while walking front the front TCC to the Int. Plaza. >_< I not sure where it happened only that it did and the chance of finding it was few and far between as it was just before the green room seating.

How much money did you spend?:
About $120 in food. $60 in merchandise. $50 for 2 photoshoots.

Best cosplay you saw:
Walpurgis Night with a proper skirt, everyone in the Green Room! O_o
A huge turn out of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure cosplayers.

How many pictures did you take?:
0 as my camera sucks. >_< (next big purchase)

How far did you travel in order to attend the con?:
From Guelph, it's 1h 30minutes-ish one way.

How sad/happy were you when the con ended?:
Sad of course! This is one con I wish it was 4 days. (FanExpo I find too long with 4 days. lol)

What variety of food did you eat over the weekend?:
Kashi Dark Mocha Almond bars, Vitamin Water, lots of WATER, Ramune drinks in melon, CALPICO mango, Green tea ice cream, Chocolate Banana smoothie, lemon poppy bread, Chocolate Banana shake from ice cream truck, Onigiri, Subway, Milstones Asian noodles, Rum & Rasin Pocky and Hi-Chew.

What did you buy?:

Food: 3 Ramune melon, CALPICO mango, Rum & Rasin Pocky, Jumbo Pockey, 2 Matcha Pocky, some green tea cookies, 2 bags of mango, banana, & melon Hi-Chew, and 3 green apple Hi-Chew.

Cosplay items: 2 wig nets, 2 wig heads.

Swag: Mawaru Penguindrum large Princess of the Crystal figure with 1,2, & 3 Penguin's hanging on and a pack of Madoka witch stickers from Japan.

Things you won't miss:
Rushing to finish my Saturday cosplay on Friday. O_o Coming down from adrenaline rush as well from feeling so stressed.
Walk on cement in heels (give me flats any day)!

And finally, what did you do when you got home from the convention?:
Unpack my dirt clothes from my suitcase and threw everything else into a bag for later to sort, went out to eat and watched Laura (old movie) then fell alseep while watching up youtube clips. lol

Any additional stuff you wanna say?:
I had a blast this year.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-30-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: merging posts
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
Ayren
Ouroboros battler

My galleries:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=75cb50eac6

Last edited by Ayren : 05-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Ayren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #24
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Canadiananimationblog has his photo's up.

Start of AN photos
http://www.canadiananimationblog.com...os-part-1.html

Start of masquerade
http://www.canadiananimationblog.com...rade-part.html

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #25
jukebox
role models > supermodels

Huzzah, I got all my articles up by my deadline!

Here's all the photos I took this weekend:

http://www.geekpr0n.com/anime-north-...riday-cosplay/

http://www.geekpr0n.com/anime-north-...urday-cosplay/

http://www.geekpr0n.com/anime-north-...unday-cosplay/

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #26
ParaDrybones

Who did you cosplay as?

I went as a Sylvari PC from Guild Wars 2 on Friday. I only cosplayed Friday this year as the costume was pretty much impossible to wear for a whole day and still have some fun in. I couldn't even sit in it, and I didn't feel like fixing up or bringing out any older costumes, which honestly would have been too hot to be bearable anyway.

How many days did you attend for?

Three days. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Had to send a friend to pre-reg on Thursday again this year rather then going with them because I was still doing last minute cosplay work.

Most memorable event / moment?

It was pretty fun getting to grab photos of the rest of my group, as well as help them out when their costumes had a break down and not have to worry constantly about my own cosplay for once. I really enjoyed doing mini photoshoots with them.

Most unexpected event/moment?

Before we technically even arrived at the con on Friday, someone walking behind us had recognized my cosplay as a Sylvari. Which also allowed me to, against all odds, win a bet with my group regarding who would be recognized and asked for a photo first. Also found an awesome poster of Kasmeer and Marjory from GW2 in the artists alley. I think the artist was also quite surprised when she noticed the plant person cooing over her GW art. Haha.

Most awkward event/moment

I was carrying around a friends purchases from the artist alley, which also had some bookmarks the two of us had bought together. Long story short, apparently the bag was upside down, and by the time we noticed, we only had two out of six left in it. =( Thankfully it wasn't something super expensive, but I still felt really bad about it. Also, stuff kept having a meltdown on my Sylvari cosplay later in the night (just coming unattached and what have you) so any photos near the end of the night probably look quite silly.

Favorite event/moment?

I suppose finding the GW2 art counts. As well as any time my cosplay got recognized. I also bought some MTG cards, and packed a holo planeswalker I had been thinking of getting.

Least favourite event/moment?

Ugh. Someone running the Fate panel on Sunday said some really nasty stuff about women and feminism. Completely caught me by surprise like a blow to the friggin head for no reason. The depression from that sort thing kept coming back on me through out the rest of the con. I'm still really disappointed about it actually. Things like that are one of the reason's I'm weary to go to some panels and meetups, and this really didn't help my perception of a lot of fandoms. I know it's not right to judge the whole fandom by one jerk. But it IS easier to just avoid some fandoms rather then deal with their crap. Which sucks, of course, because fandoms are supposed to be spaces of comradery and fun. Then again, regarding specifically the Fate fandom, I did meet a really awesome fellow at the Fate photoshoot who's name I wish I had gotten. I suppose that does do a lot to remind me why I bother putting myself out there and trying to engage in fandom.

How much money did you spend?

Well, lets NOT count the money spent on getting cosplays together shall we? >_> Haha.

At the actual con itself, probably about 90ish counting food? Huh. Feel's like it was more, but going over my purchases again, I guess it wasn't. I might have spent about 25$ more if two things I wanted in the artist alley hadn't been sold out. Ah well.

Best cosplay you saw?

Well I did see a crap ton of amazing cosplay, I have to mention the amazing Aether wing Kayle that was there on Saturday evening.

How many pictures did you take?

312ish? More then last year, but mostly that number consists of photoshoots and a heck of a lot of duplicate photos.

How far did you travel in order to attend the con?

A twenty minute walk! I've got a friend who lives close, but all the same, it seems next year, for various reasons including said friend almost certainly moving, I'll likely be getting a hotel. Which will be really nice actually and allow me to wear more elaborate cosplays just for photoshoots.

How sad/happy were you when the con ended?

Fairly? It felt like I missed a lot of stuff this year truth be told so it was a bit of a downer. Hopefully better planning next year will prove more fun.

What variety of food did you eat over the weekend?

Super over priced Kelsy's food, timbits, frozen drinks, chips, sub sandwiches, a chicken wrap and fries, an ice cream sundae, mars bars and reese's from home, and lots of cola. I found out through a friend that the convenient store carried cherry cola, but completely forgot about it until after the con, and ended up not getting any. Oh well.

What did you buy?

A large poster of Kasmeer and Marjory of GW2, a bunch of Magic packs, some Magic singles, a poster of a Poro from LoL, some small LoL posters of champs, a different small postcard sized bit of art of a champ from LoL, some bookmarks of Tales of characters, and a bunch of buttons, and of course all the food and snack junk. Feels like I'm forgetting something...

Things you won't miss?

The heat, the walking, the staying up late to work on con stuff.

What did you do when you got home from the convention?

What I wanted to do? Plan next years cosplay and hang around with people. Look over the crap we bought. What I did do? Had to head off for home right away. Not fun. =/

Welp. That'd be my con. Hopefully next year things are a hell of a lot less hectic for me regarding cosplay and sleeping / storage arrangements and I can actually manage to get to everything I want too.

Really quick thing regarding the religious protestors, (and holy crap am I ever glad I didn't have to see them when I was there) "Don't feed the trolls" is actually a pretty horrible idea, as much of the public / online community's are beginning to understand regarding any nastiness, bigotry, hate or what have you, be they literal online trolls, or real life jerks like this group, ignoring a problem is absolutely never ever going to make it go away. Ever. It's wishful thinking unfortunately. Most people like that, despite popular belief, don't really give much of a shit, or even KNOW if their getting attention. Their issues almost always stem from a real and deeply ingrained hatred or prejudice, and almost never primarily from "attention seeking" nor do they require it to keep shouting their absurd crap. Most of the time they genuinely don't know or give a shit if they are being heard, but they'll compulsively keep it up anyway.

The best thing to do would likely have been reporting them to con staff or other officials with the power to deal with them. While tying to speak reasonably (or alternatively vent your perfectly understandable frustration towards their bullshit) might be tempting, it's pretty much completely worthless. If they were intelligent decent human beings who were capable of logical thought or change, they wouldn't be doing what they were doing in the first place.

Right! Lighter note! (Heck, I could use one.) I bothered putting up a gallery of some of my photo's this year, so here's a link! It's pretty small though, truth be told.

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/Toy...?sort=3&page=1
ParaDrybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #27
shinigami714
Illustrator

Here's my photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9842e91e55

Feel free to tag/message or friend me if you want
Also check out my Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/MelColleyArtsandCrafts
shinigami714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #28
Anime199
Matthew

My anime north 2014 pictures

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...35793&type =3

Anime199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
jordanhamilton@

Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage_blossom View Post
Wrong thread, luv! We have a Did You Take My picture? thread here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=342208
where your post would be more appropriate, thanks!
Ah, yeah sorry! i hadn't realized until after I posted, then I didn't know how to delete the thread! xD thanks!
jordanhamilton@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #30
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Here are all my AN 2014 photos

Day 0 and 1 (includes Pokemon shoot)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...71250&type =3

Day 2 (includes RWBY and Doctor Who shoots)

Day 3 (includes Pokemon shoot)

Please tag away and enjoy!

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote