Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
Chino-San
Pwetty Pwetty Crossplayer

Plastic Female Cosplay Mask

I am sure some of you have seen them already. But I think it's a new way of cosplaying. But when a guy get in the mask. Will that be considered crossplaying? Also your opinion on it.

Unread 05-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Sixshot

Crossplaying or not crossplaying, I just find those masks spooky, period.
Sixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
kigurumifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino-San
I am sure some of you have seen them already. But I think it's a new way of cosplaying. But when a guy get in the mask. Will that be considered crossplaying? Also your opinion on it.
I believe what you are referring to here is Kigurumi, or Masked cosplay. It could be considered crossplaying I suppose. On the spooky note I have heard many people say this in web blogs and such. I don't think its so bad. Not hell of a lot of difference in concept from the Disney Land stage shows.

Though I will sympathise with the point here that what Kigurumi has ended up being affiliated with is the female mask group. Some Kigurumi players take part in both groups, though most are mainly just anime fans doing Kigurumi as an extension of their love for anime. I'm sure many conventional cosplayers do their thing for the same reason.

Also many people are weirded out by the fact that a lot of guys (not every kigurumi player is male). Well lets put it this way. Is that Minnie Mouse in Disney Land any different. How can you know for sure? Just a little food for thought.

And to close. This isn't a purely "female mask" deal. There are male versions of the cosplay. For example if you check Dollers Station 2000 you will see an off hand example of a male version.

I would like to see a good debate on this from those unfamiliar with Kigurumi. Most of the opinion I've heard has come from Kigurumi Players and Fans.

Edit: For those who don't have any idea what we are talking about. Check out my site The Kigurumi Fans Portal. There are lots of links to sites and articles to get you caught up. And remember each Kigurumi Player does their thing for different reasons. One players view is not representitive of the whole.

Last edited by kigurumifan : 05-08-2004 at 10:46 AM.
kigurumifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
darien_Fanel
Baka Neko D-sama

I also find them creepy, but I suppose its prefrence. I would think it would be good if you are to shy to show your real face, or if you want to go the extra mile to look like the character. I still prefer makeup over a mask unless the costume calls for one.
darien_Fanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2004, 02:12 AM   #5
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I think people find them creepy for the same reason that dolls or mannequins are often found creepy--a face that's *almost* human but not quite, with blank dead eyes, creeps people out. As opposed to other cover-the-face costumes like mascots--they're not trying to look human, so it's not as disturbing. We're hardwired to recognize human faces, so we notice more when things are a little "off" with faces.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories

Last edited by Sarcasm-hime : 05-05-2004 at 02:33 AM.
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2004, 02:28 AM   #6
Fory-san
**Worship the plushie!**

I think it depends on your idea about them, but personally, I think they're rather cool. :::shrugs::: Then again, I'm more open to different types of costuming so I've seen some stuff creepier than kigurumi.

Support the industry...Buy Anime!

Little children, you belong to God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.-1 John 4:4
Fory-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
kigurumifan

I found a website that had a note left by the webmaster. Though the note is about dealing with frustrations of a Japanese Kigurumi Player about Non-Japanese speaking fans, they do mention a couple of good points what Kigurumi means to them. http://www.dengeki.jp/~lie_dool/why.html

Last edited by kigurumifan : 05-08-2004 at 10:47 AM.
kigurumifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
kyandi-chan
Magical Girl K

at first, the fact that a lot of people do kigurumi as a fetish scared me... and thats what bothers me a little about the kigurumi...it didnt bother me when i saw the cute ones that were hired and the ones that look right at japanese conventions, but when i see some that are just wearing a very poorly fitted bodysuit, poorly done, creepy mask, and wrong body type for a girl, it just scares me so much. (i saw all of the digimon ones and toyko mew mew ones that were just TOO CUTE!!!!)

but i do like ones that are not showing that much skin with the mask. a lot of kigurumi players dont always get the right bodysuit and mask color match, which can change the way a costume turns out
kyandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 11:27 PM   #9
Chino-San
Pwetty Pwetty Crossplayer

Yeah I'd be abit afraid to have a Kigurumi mask in my room staring at me all night. Yeah I'd much perfer make up and all than buy a Kigurumi mask.
Unread 05-08-2004, 07:02 AM   #10
Misa-chan
batteries not included

Hehe, I like it. XD Especially these Ojamajo Doremi ones, more accurate than any regular cosplayer I've seen, and they're really cute and not that creepy. ^^

http://twoplanet.cside.ne.jp/doremi/

:: Next: Anime North 09 ::
-Formal Casca (Berserk)
-Shinobu (No More Heroes)
-Bunny Bulma (Dragon Ball)
-Yamine Aku adult ver. (Vocaloid)[?]

2009: Setsucon, Katsucon, Anime North, Anime Expo, Otakon, NYAF, AUSA
Misa-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #11
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Personally I don't really like the masks. As others have stated they are kinda creepy, and they just don't look right...most of the time they make people's heads look bigger or smaller than they should be, or just plain goofy. I know I personally would never wear one. Also, I think it would be rather uncomfortable, especially at a con where it is VERY hot and crowded. -__-

Not to mention that the masks ARE very expensive...all the ones I have seen so far have costed more than ANY of my completed costumes. Why spend all the money when my real face will look better than a plastic, blank-staring mask? o.O In fact, anyone's face looks better than the masks IMHO. Not that I'm dissing anyone who happens to love the masks, but that's just a personal thought and opinion not meant to offend everyone. After all, I'm sure there are lots of people out there who are thinking "Why is she wearing that outfit?" when I'm cosplaying. XD

*~Hime no Toki~*

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #12
Fory-san
**Worship the plushie!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino-San
Yeah I'd be abit afraid to have a Kigurumi mask in my room staring at me all night. Yeah I'd much perfer make up and all than buy a Kigurumi mask.
That's why a friend of mine shoves her's in the closet! lol

BTW, this is my 100th posting here! Woohoo! End of shameless announcment.

Support the industry...Buy Anime!

Little children, you belong to God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.-1 John 4:4
Fory-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
Scoti
Lv. 99

I don't have a problem with them but I think that some characters look better with the masks then others.

I've never seen one up close before.
Unread 05-09-2004, 01:38 AM   #14
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

That Doremi looks like a toy. Perhaps that's the intended effect - a giant plastic toy figurine, of the type that might be found as a theme park statue.

Since animators spend loads of time putting expressions onto character's faces, I just find it a bit odd when it's translated into what looks like a giant plastic doll with no change of expression, whether the doll moves or not.

Characters in the types of anime that I prefer are clearly not meant to look like dolls, and it's more interesting to me to see "come to life" cosplay versions with a full range of facial expression - that's what really gives a character "character".
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 01:49 AM   #15
Tiirz
Clothier of the Undead

I find it interesting that some of them mention feeling closer to the character, but I'd feel much farther away being unable to speak or use facial expressions.

http://home.comcast.net/~tiirz/Neko_Bish_2.jpg
Tiirz is offline   Reply With Quote