Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Otakon > Rides / Roommates

Unread 05-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
sephygoth
Hater lover

Cool Boston/Bostonian to Baltimore train mob

Any cosplayers with blue hair or funky armor from the Boston/Providence area making a train jump?(note, armor optional) Trying to make the small existing group even bigger!...
to take over an entire car of course.
Amtrak is pretty reliable and cool at night, especially if ya hang out at the game car all night playing Triple Triad
So far votes are for Thursday night to arrive Friday morning.
There's also another room we would like to, ahem, aquire roomies for, it's
at the Holiday inn across the street from the con.
I know a few others thought it'd be a good idea to group up so why not
get a thread goin for that?
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

I assume you're taking the 10:00pm train out of Boston? I've ridden that train before, but in reverse direction Baltimore to Boston. Though I don't live in boston, I can affirm that the train ride is smooth and fun if you got other cosplayers with ya, and if you talk to the Conductor if you have a large group, I find some willing and understanding to help seperate business travellers (since the 10pm train is mostly business), but I guess it depends on how busy and full the train is, but its worth a try to talk to them.
trigunvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Ravistell
twisty

OMG, just joined and found the other mighty Bostone! I'll try to make it of course! Will we have the "accomodations" for ahem... \
getting into character? IYKWIM or might that be a bad move? I drove
to a party in costume, but never like 400 miles
Nothing like a freak show traveling the rails!!! Count me in

why would walking into a wall,at a nudist colony, break your nose?
Ravistell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
sephygoth
Hater lover

a good toot for cosplay

[quote=trigunvash]I've ridden that train before, but in reverse direction Baltimore to Boston. Though I don't live in boston, I can affirm that the train ride is smooth and fun if you got other cosplayers with ya, and if you talk to the Conductor if you have a large group, I find some willing and understanding to help seperate business travellersQUOTE]

Thanks for agreeing, trains rule all! Yeah, we did the 7hr trip before, was awsome. Some really old
lady beat this kid over the head for holding the door open for her. She
was kicked off at the next stop...
Great part about starting in Boston is that we can all snag a load of seats before others get on(like in Providence,Jersey, New York). Or snag for those getting on in those areas
holy crap Rav, looks like you caught up, new pc?
Unread 05-11-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

Yeah when I was doing the reverse way going to Boston, a boat load of people got on at New York PennStation.
Unread 05-12-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
sephygoth
Hater lover

more on the way?

that's a thought actually, if people get on at NY Penn Station look for a car with blue/purple haired cooky people. We'll do the evil save seat thing(will do for one already).
BTW Use the student ID for a good rate!
Unread 06-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Jun_Kazama

Do you know what the prices are at all from Providence? Or where I can aquire such information?
We were planning on flying, but if this is cheaper then I may be interested.
I can just sleep on the train/work on my costumes on the way there.
I also have no clue as to how to get to the con from either the airport or train station, so if there are other con people around I'd feel a lot better about it.
I'd have to check w/ who I'm going with first but traveling all night w/ a bunch of other anime fans just sounds like it would hella fun.

Plus I want to get there very early Friday morning, and the last time I tried to do that I missed my plane and ended up being really late. >_<

Are there any plans for a return trip group at all?
Any does anybody know anything about bringing luggage on the train? I will probably have two large suitcases and a bag or two with me.

Last edited by Jun_Kazama : 06-10-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Jun_Kazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

Check www.amtrak.com book tickets from the website as well.

The Amtrak Train Station in Baltimore is like a 3minute Cab ride to the Convention Center. Or you can play 1.60 for the LightRail Public Transportation to the Convention Center, get off at Pratt St. stop, the con center is right across the street.

BWI Airport is about 20-30minutes to the South of the City and costs around $20.00 cab ride.

Here are your fares:
Providence RI, Train #67 Departure July 29 @ 10:24pm (Thursnight)
Arrives Baltimore, MD July30 @ 6:10am (FriMorning)

Return Trip:
Departs Baltimore @ 10:45pm Aug1 (Sunday) Train #66
Arrives Providence @ 7:30am Aug2

$164.00 Roundtrip.

Amtrak coach seats are pretty much equal to Airline Business Class seats, they actually have legroom and you can move around and actually recline.

There's plenty of overhead space compartments for luggage.

I went ahead and did some research on airfare prices from expedia.com
TO fly from Providence it will cost 141roundtrip, however if you factor in the Hassles of flying and the distance from BWI Airport, vs. the Baltimore Train station to the Convention Center. The train is a great idea. Its not as fast as an airplane, but its not as restrictive, and its comfortable ride.

(LOL NO I don't work for Amtrak, I just like trains vs. flying).

Last edited by trigunvash : 06-18-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Unread 06-19-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
Jun_Kazama

I decided to just go up and take the train out of Boston (that way I can make sure we get on the same train as everyone else ^_^") . And I'll take the train back to Boston on the 1st.
I can't stay till 10:45 at night. I think check out time is around noon, plus I don't want to take another overnight train.

Train #67, is that the one that we'll be taking then? Cuz I wanna make reservations soon.
Jun_Kazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #10
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

Check out www.amtrak.com Its the only train leaving at 10pm (9:45pm) from boston.

From the website enter BOS and arrive at BAL

LOL Check with first above poster for times etc if you plan a group to meet up. Hope the information was helpful and wish everyone a fun trip.

Last edited by trigunvash : 06-19-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Unread 06-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #11
sephygoth
Hater lover

ticket time

Yes! We're picking ours up at the quick track machine in the station(bos). Doesn't charge ya until you get the tickets wohoo!

We're getting the 1:07 train back to Boston using
the V818 code(a "tourist" code ) and it's unreserved coach, but we're near the beginning of the line(ie D.C.) so snaggin a seat should be easy
thanks to trigunvash there for the xtra info

>I'm thinkin of having the sephy get up on for the way down... <

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun_Kazama
I decided to just go up and take the train out of Boston (that way I can make sure we get on the same train as everyone else ^_^") . And I'll take the train back to Boston on the 1st.
I can't stay till 10:45 at night. I think check out time is around noon, plus I don't want to take another overnight train.
Train #67, is that the one that we'll be taking then? Cuz I wanna make reservations soon.
Unread 06-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #12
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

Watch out on those quicktrax machines, they tend to "shoot out" your tickets. At baltimore the machine shot it out and it went flying, lol must of been a machine fluke.
Unread 06-22-2004, 02:29 AM   #13
Yuki Eiri
Sweet sweet Valentine

OMFG Triple Triad! When i went to san fran my parentals threw out my whole stack! MY ZELL CARD! ; ; I wish Iw as from boston :/ I'm in CT... I have a complicated route to otakon.
Unread 06-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
sephygoth
Hater lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki Eiri
OMFG Triple Triad! When i went to san fran my parentals threw out my whole stack! MY ZELL CARD! ; ; I wish Iw as from boston :/ I'm in CT... I have a complicated route to otakon.
We've got more dude and will be trading at otakon. We'll be passing through conn on the way down. I'm gonna have to start a thread for popular along the way! Like Rhode Island,Conn, NY, penn station, Jersey. We have like 8 or 9 people so far just from Boston.

BTW Zell, my friend Rav lived in san franny for years and had my whole collection, I finally got it back like 2 years after I left it there! (she lives here now too, convnt. as you can get)
Unread 06-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #15
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigunvash
Check www.amtrak.com book tickets from the website as well.

The Amtrak Train Station in Baltimore is like a 3minute Cab ride to the Convention Center. Or you can play 1.60 for the LightRail Public Transportation to the Convention Center, get off at Pratt St. stop, the con center is right across the street.

BWI Airport is about 20-30minutes to the South of the City and costs around $20.00 cab ride.

Here are your fares:
Providence RI, Train #67 Departure July 29 @ 10:24pm (Thursnight)
Arrives Baltimore, MD July30 @ 6:10am (FriMorning)

Return Trip:
Departs Baltimore @ 10:45pm Aug1 (Sunday) Train #66
Arrives Providence @ 7:30am Aug2

$164.00 Roundtrip.

Amtrak coach seats are pretty much equal to Airline Business Class seats, they actually have legroom and you can move around and actually recline.

There's plenty of overhead space compartments for luggage.

I went ahead and did some research on airfare prices from expedia.com
TO fly from Providence it will cost 141roundtrip, however if you factor in the Hassles of flying and the distance from BWI Airport, vs. the Baltimore Train station to the Convention Center. The train is a great idea. Its not as fast as an airplane, but its not as restrictive, and its comfortable ride.

(LOL NO I don't work for Amtrak, I just like trains vs. flying).

Hmm...::thinks of a way that anime can be shown on the train all night:: I wonder if the trains have 3 prong plugs...

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote