Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Animazement

Unread 05-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Finding Beauty
trust me, i'm a doctor

Weapons policy?

I know Animazement has a website, and I've actually looked at it and read the weapons policy they have posted . . . but it's not terribly clear -- to me, at least -- and since this will be my first con experience, I don't want to go ruining it by carrying in something they're going to potentially confiscate from me.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what the definitive weapons policy is. I know logical things such as no live steel and no real guns apply, but what about materials weapons are made of otherwise? I've heard some cons don't even like wooden weapons, and ask that you stick to papier mache or something equally lightweight.
Triad Anime Convention; Greensboro, N.C.
Animazement; Raleigh, N.C.
HeroesCon; Charlotte, N.C.
Dragon*Con; Atlanta, Ga.
NC Comicon; Durham, N.C.
Finding Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
GreatSG
Riding the Storm Out

Yeah, the weapons policy is a little vague, but wooden weapons seem to be okay, although I accidently hit someone in the head with my bokuton and felt really bad about it, and it fell over when I had it reasting and knocked over a drink...

So be careful with those. As for guns, I saw a few people with very identifiable toy guns. So I guess you gotta be the judge yourself as to what is the best to take and what not to.
GreatSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

The weapons policy at Animazement is almost nonexistant. Wooden weapons are fine. Heck, you can even bring in real katanas, but you have to tie it to the scabbard so you can't remove it. Air pistols, CO2 pistols, and the like are all allowed. I just recommend to be safe make sure they have a red tip.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
quadrain61
Hampsters are evil

Just as long the orange tip is on it...lol. I love AZ for this.

Oh just remember the rule. If you don't get caught you don't get in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon
Heck, you can even bring in real katanas, but you have to tie it to the scabbard so you can't remove it.
Really? pic

Oh n/n that applied to the rule above
Unread 05-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
Farmboybob
Great... or the Greatest?

I just going to resay what everyone has stated but, as far as cons go, AZ is the one of the most slacked cons when it comes to weapons. Come to think about it, AZ is pretty slack in alot of thing, at least as far as I've seen up to this point.
Farmboybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #6
GreatSG
Riding the Storm Out

Actually on airguns and such, a friend of mine e-mailed AZ about airguns and such, and they told him it'd be better if he DID NOT bring it.
GreatSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 11:16 PM   #7
onnawufei

The year before last my friend did a Spriggan costume and brought a real knife, he just... I think he taped the blade. Nobody even guessed it was a real knife, and he's definately not stupid enough to let anyone hold it or try hitting anyone with it. *L* He'll be doing that again this year actually.
Unread 05-10-2004, 11:16 PM   #8
Shadablade
Kamikazi StickShifter

Your right aboutAZ being pretty lax in comparison to other cons....My roomate just got his Alucard replicas in (hellsing to those who havent seen) And man they kick ass.....still think they were a bit costly for just a prop....but who am I to talk
Shadablade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:23 AM   #9
liz-maru
oOcosplay crazedOo

i guess i shouldnt bring my airsoft but it kinda completes my costume so -____- maybe if i show em it has no stuff in it its ok ;_; i wonder if i can take it! lol!
liz-maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 11:08 AM   #10
SakeNinja2
Resident Drunk Ninja

Yeah that's what I love about AZ, laid back security! They didn't care about "El Ninja's" pistols, unlike AWA. And I didn't even get into trouble when I dropped and broke my giant sake bottle "prop" in the lobby last year!
Unread 05-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
onnawufei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakeNinja2
Yeah that's what I love about AZ, laid back security! They didn't care about "El Ninja's" pistols, unlike AWA. And I didn't even get into trouble when I dropped and broke my giant sake bottle "prop" in the lobby last year!

Someone was getting miffy over those pistols? I wasn't aware the Sake Ninjas were quite so threatening.
Unread 05-11-2004, 06:10 PM   #12
SakeNinja2
Resident Drunk Ninja

Haha yeah! I mean, a guy with a sombrero and mexican outfit running around going "yiiii yiiii yiii yiiiii!!!" is too threatening, so he had to put the pistoleros away at AWA and made some cardboard cutouts of them out of beer boxes and wrote "friggin prop" on them.
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:52 PM   #13
RHIshida
lol internet

That Jin-Roh cosplayer a few AZs back didn't get into trouble for having what looked like a semi-automatic gun. ( It looked real too! :O ) I still remember when me and Farmboy almost got in trouble for having a fake knife battle XD