Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Unread 11-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
tsukeru

The Do's/Don't/Need to Know Info about Fan Expo

This year my group and I are heading to Fan Expo Canada for the first time. We've only done TFCon as far as any international conventions, so we're looking for any tips on what to do, what not to do, the things we absolutely need to know before we buy our tickets. I will be traveling by Greyhound this year, so parking won't be an issue for me but my friends will be driving down from Quebec. We're also hoping to make a mini-vacation out of Fan Expo as well.
tsukeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
AngelicLuka
Cosplayer

Do pre-reg!
AngelicLuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicLuka View Post
Do pre-reg!
That's kind of given. And we already did ^^
Unread 03-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Don't use the North Building entrance to get to the South Building. If you are inside the North Building and want to go to the other building, leave and go outside. Walk along the bridge and down the steps to the west of the building, past the CN Tower and Ripley's Aquarium instead. Or walk along south Simcoe past the Intercontinental hotel parking garage. Especially on Saturday. The escalators are hell getting through the entire building. It is much faster to just go around the outside. Once you get to the South Building doors on Bremner, there's only 2-3 escalators (one of which you can bypass by using the stairs) to get down to con level.

Bring a portable cellphone charger if you have one (or an extra battery). Cell reception is shitty when you're a kilometre underground. Your phone will kill itself by constantly searching for a signal while you're in the South building especially. North isn't that bad, as it's above ground. I think there may be a few hall outlets where you may be able to plug in a regular charger cable, but you'll have to sit there and wait to charge up of course.

Leave the building to eat. Food is incredibly expensive, and you're in freaking downtown Toronto. There are better places to eat than the Pizza Pizza truck in the convention hall. Don't be afraid to venture out to Front Street, or even into the PATH foodcourts. If you're at the con Thurs and Fri, the PATH will be open, where you can get regularly priced food. I believe the PATH foodcourt under the CBC building across the street is mostly open all weekend, too.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 03-30-2015 at 11:01 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
Don't use the North Building entrance to get to the South Building. If you are inside the North Building and want to go to the other building, leave and go outside. Walk along the bridge and down the steps to the west of the building, past the CN Tower and Ripley's Aquarium instead. Or walk along south Simcoe past the Intercontinental hotel parking garage. Especially on Saturday. The escalators are hell getting through the entire building. It is much faster to just go around the outside. Once you get to the South Building doors on Bremner, there's only 2-3 escalators (one of which you can bypass by using the stairs) to get down to con level.

Bring a portable cellphone charger if you have one (or an extra battery). Cell reception is shitty when you're a kilometre underground. Your phone will kill itself by constantly searching for a signal while you're in the South building especially. North isn't that bad, as it's above ground. I think there may be a few hall outlets where you may be able to plug in a regular charger cable, but you'll have to sit there and wait to charge up of course.

Leave the building to eat. Food is incredibly expensive, and you're in freaking downtown Toronto. There are better places to eat than the Pizza Pizza truck in the convention hall. Don't be afraid to venture out to Front Street, or even into the PATH foodcourts. If you're at the con Thurs and Fri, the PATH will be open, where you can get regularly priced food. I believe the PATH foodcourt under the CBC building across the street is mostly open all weekend, too.
Good tips! I won't be using my cell phone though since I'm American unless I absolutely will need to get in contact with my friends if we split up for whatever reason. I'll end up keeping it off most of the entire trip. Is there free wi-fi at all in the convention center? If so, I'll drag my tablet along for contact access that way.

Most of the time for food, we usually pack easy to-go meals and snacks for breakfast and lunch. We usually try to find a local eatery or restaurant to try and explore for dinner at our bigger conventions. We've found a few really awesome places in NYC over the years from being there for NYCC. We hope to do the same for Fan Expo.
Unread 04-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Just a note - obviously the first point is vice versa. It's no better getting from South to North building by following the hoard up and down escalators. Always exit and re-enter by going around.

Not sure if there's wi-fi. I know vendors have access, but not sure if it's public. There may be too many people trying to piggyback anyway, which means you won't have a good connection. Personally, I just use the LTE data on my cell phone instead of trying to use wifi. I believe there is free wifi if you go to Starbucks/Tim Horton's etc off site.

You can also check out the Harbourfront for food.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 04-13-2015 at 04:59 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
xshedevilx
- Kami -

Even if there is free Wifi it is so clogged with people you can't talk to anyone so I suggest finding a meetup spot if you lose anyone.

Definitely LEAVE for food or beverages, lots of places close by, plus Union is a skip away when PATH is closed for something to eat at odd hours. Depending on what hotel you're staying at I would suggest parking there for your friends. It may seem more expensive but with lugging everything around its worth it. (I've taken the Subway back and forth before and it was worth it to spend more money to be in a closer hotel and park on location, my limbs were saved.)

Refillable water bottles are super handy! There are fountains around (some weren't working last year) but that way you're not wasting money on beverages there or dehydrating yourself either.
xshedevilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshedevilx View Post
Even if there is free Wifi it is so clogged with people you can't talk to anyone so I suggest finding a meetup spot if you lose anyone.

Definitely LEAVE for food or beverages, lots of places close by, plus Union is a skip away when PATH is closed for something to eat at odd hours. Depending on what hotel you're staying at I would suggest parking there for your friends. It may seem more expensive but with lugging everything around its worth it. (I've taken the Subway back and forth before and it was worth it to spend more money to be in a closer hotel and park on location, my limbs were saved.)

Refillable water bottles are super handy! There are fountains around (some weren't working last year) but that way you're not wasting money on beverages there or dehydrating yourself either.
Thanks! I am taking the bus to Canada this year because of how expensive downtown Toronto parking is. My friends though are driving to Toronto. At least in our group, we'll have one car for grocery runs if we need to. We usually try to avoid eating meals at con. We usually try to take advantage of hotel breakfast (if offered), take snacks throughout the day and then splurg a little on a good meal out for dinner somewhere to try new and local flavor. We've discovered some pretty amazing places this way!