Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 12-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Winter Comiket 2014

Anyone planning to go? It'll be my first time there, and I'm kind of concerned about a few things:
  • It's said that first-time goers should arrive after noon to avoid long lines...however, if I'm cosplaying that really cuts into how long I can wear my costume, especially if it takes time to get dressed.
  • It's gonna be cold outside, and my planned costumes are not exactly winter-friendly. Are there any indoor cosplay areas where I can still get my photo taken or do they kick us all outside?

Can anyone give me insight on these two points?

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
DigiSlug

The dates for this event are December 28, 29, 30.

I haven't waited in line to get in early, but I'll be working the second day so I don't know if I'll get to cosplay all day.

I have been to a few of them a few years ago. I don't know if/where there is an indoor photo area, but the ones I've seen each time are all outdoor. You can wander inside and out in costume, but photos are in the photo area's only.

Others might know more than me though =P
Katsucon 2014
Next event:
(Hopefully)
Winter Comiket 2014
Final Fantasy Fan Festival 2014 Tokyo.
DigiSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Tsumanne
History Nerd

I missed Comiket last year (both of them...) but I'll be at Winter Comiket again this year.

In terms of when to get there, I personally think everyone should go early at least once to experience "the line". It is an experience in itself. Cosplay time is limited and the line to get into the dressing room can be quite long. So either get there early (8:00~9:00) or wait till 11:30~12:00. Getting there at 10:00 is a bad time. I'm planning on 8:00~8:30. I've always gotten into the changing room without much difficulty if I get in line around then.

This Year's Cosplay Areas

There don't appear to be any indoor areas (see cosplay area map below). If it rains they usually open up the indoor area outside the 1st Floor West Halls though. Of course, "cosplay area" only means that this is where you can have pictures taken and have your props out. You can be in costume anywhere. So if you get cold you can go inside to warm up and then go back outside. If there is good sunlight then it's actually not too bad outside. The most popular cosplay areas are the 1st Floor Court Yard and the 4th Floor Terrace. There is also a parking lot out back of the West Halls that generally attracts a lot of people.

I've been going to Comiket since 2005 Comiket 68, so if you have any questions just let me know and I'll try to be of help. Actually, here's a link to a Winter Comiket information post I did a few years ago. Goes over event rules and such. Should be of help.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=305941

Event Calendar:
Summer Comiket 90: Tokyo, Japan
Military Odyssey: Detling, England

Last edited by Tsumanne : 12-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Thank Tsumanne, glad I can count on you! I imagine the men have a somewhat easier time waiting for the dressing room than women...

I just hope my patience can endure the long wait in line as well as the cold and the crowds. I looked at some photos from last year and saw quite a few skimpy cosplayers, so either it wasn't that cold or they have quite a strong resistance to the weather. Hopefully the sun will be out.

I do wish they had an early dressing room policy like TGS has. I looked at the Japanese website and it looks like they had a lottery for early cosplayer entry, but the deadline long passed and it wouldn't have been guaranteed anyway.

One more question, and I probably already know the answer to this judging from the map, do ALL people (cosplayers and spectators) wait in the same line to get in, with cosplayers then moving to the cosplay changing area to register? Or do people who wish to cosplay have a separate entrance?

Unread 12-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooyong View Post
One more question, and I probably already know the answer to this judging from the map, do ALL people (cosplayers and spectators) wait in the same line to get in, with cosplayers then moving to the cosplay changing area to register? Or do people who wish to cosplay have a separate entrance?
It's the answer you don't want lol. As you've suspected, everyone waits in one of the two lines to get in the door cosplayer or not. As cosplayers, we want the line closer to the train stations which goes in the main entrance (most casual goers will naturally gravitate toward this one). It is easier to get to the dressing rooms that way (you register as you exit the changing room). The second line goes around back and enters through the East Halls which are the farthest away. Good for Doujin collectors, bad for cosplayers. I've tried it.

Not sure if you are aware, but there is also a second event going on basically across the street from Comiket. TFT Tonari de Cosplay. The event halls at Tokyo Fashion Town host a cosplay only event over the same exact days as Comiket. Thus, "Tonari de Cosplay" lol. Many cosplayers will go to Comiket (the day(s) that their favorite doujin artists are there) and then spend the other days at TFT. Or vise versa. Since TFT goes much later in the evening than Comiket some people will do half the day at Comiket, get out of costume, go over to TFT, get back in costume and continue there. http://ja.curecos.com/event/view?id=53954

Event Calendar:

Last edited by Tsumanne : 12-12-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Unread 12-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
color
Phantom Detective

Hey Tsumanne, you wouldn't happen to know if that TFT event allows videography, do you? I know Comiket is pretty cool with it but I'm not sure about TFT. Looks like that event costs 3,000 yen and I don't want to pay and then find out I can't shoot there.
Unread 12-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumanne View Post
It's the answer you don't want lol. As you've suspected, everyone waits in one of the two lines to get in the door cosplayer or not. As cosplayers, we want the line closer to the train stations which goes in the main entrance (most casual goers will naturally gravitate toward this one). It is easier to get to the dressing rooms that way (you register as you exit the changing room). The second line goes around back and enters through the East Halls which are the farthest away. Good for Doujin collectors, bad for cosplayers. I've tried it.

Not sure if you are aware, but there is also a second event going on basically across the street from Comiket. TFT Tonari de Cosplay. The event halls at Tokyo Fashion Town host a cosplay only event over the same exact days as Comiket. Thus, "Tonari de Cosplay" lol. Many cosplayers will go to Comiket (the day(s) that their favorite doujin artists are there) and then spend the other days at TFT. Or vise versa. Since TFT goes much later in the evening than Comiket some people will do half the day at Comiket, get out of costume, go over to TFT, get back in costume and continue there. http://ja.curecos.com/event/view?id=53954
Ooooooh, thank you so much for the info! I saw the event listed on Cosplayers Archive and saw quite a few participants but I thought I'd be more interested in the "bigger" event. I'm actually not very interested in the doujin, honestly, I just wanted to attend a big cosplay event since I enjoyed Tokyo Game Show. I do wanna try going to Comiket at least once though, but I'll look into Tonari as well!

Unread 12-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
color
Phantom Detective

Yeah I'd say Comiket is a lot more fun than TFT, as TFT is mostly just in one small hall.

Are you bringing your Dynasty Warriors cosplay? Looks pretty epic.
Unread 12-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Hmm, videos at TFT. I honestly don't know. Don't believe I've noticed anyone do it before, but I've only been twice so that doens't mean much. I'm inclined to lean toward probably not since it is a cosplay only event and doesn't have the "festival" element that Comiket has. I could be completely wrong though. I would ask at the door.

Yep, TFT is Y2,000 for Cosplayers. Y3,000 for non-cosplayers (i.e. photographers).

Personally, I prefer Comiket. The first 4 years I went my reading wasn't good enough for doujinshi anyway so I stuck to just cosplay and always enjoyed it. I find the atmosphere at Comiket to be more "open" I guess is the way to put it. People are more likely to just come up and talk to you at Comiket in my experience. Actually, I met nearly all of my JP cosplay friends at Comiket. Of course I have friends that very much prefer TFT. The two events are very different from one another, so it's a matter of personal preference.

TFT was a good size event the last time I went although obviously smaller than Comiket, but so is everything. Comiket is just utterly massive. You can expect around 5,000+ coplayers in a single day. More people attend Comiket in 3 days than there are people living in the entire US state of Wyoming.

Event Calendar:

Last edited by Tsumanne : 12-21-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Unread 12-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
Yeah I'd say Comiket is a lot more fun than TFT, as TFT is mostly just in one small hall.

Are you bringing your Dynasty Warriors cosplay? Looks pretty epic.
I wish I could...I thought about it, but I've got 1 1/2 costumes (the two characters have identical outfits), makeup, and normal clothes, and I'm trying to pack as little as possible. It sucks because I would be able to bring Zhurong's weapon to Comiket (TGS was too restrictive).

Yeah, I had a feeling that Comiket would be more "open" in a sense. Either way, as long as I get to cosplay and I have no costume issues, I'll be happy!

Unread 01-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #11
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

So I ended up going to Comiket the first day...I didn't like it, lol. It's just way too crowded there, especially the West cosplay area, which I had trouble finding even with a map. I did end up in RocketNews24 though, so that was cool.

Tonari de Cos was actually much better for me for Day 2. I went there straight away because of the rain and because I couldn't stand the cold from yesterday, and since it wasn't too crowded at first I found it easier to approach people. I made contacts with two Sailor Moon cosplayers and three Dynasty Warriors cosplayers and got to talk to them for a bit, and some photographers recognized my character and asked for pictures. I left around 4-ish since it was already too crowded with people coming from Comiket, but by then I was already satisfied!

My friend said--and I agree--that it's very hard to do both cosplay and observation at Comiket. I'm not sure why I didn't feel this way for TGS, probably because I was able to get dressed in advance, something that I hope they'll do for Comiket someday!

But overall it wasn't nearly as scary or intimidating as I imagined it would be, just crowded and a little stressful ^^;

Unread 02-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
color
Phantom Detective

Nice. Yeah I think the back parking lot is the best and more open cosplay area. And yeah I think it is a bit lame that you have to change there and can't fill Japan's trains with colorful costumed folk heading to Comiket.

I thought this year was alright. Not as much good art as last year but plenty of cosplayers and the like. I was able to put a music video together so that's always fun. And I met some pretty cool people this year as well.