Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 303 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #6961
Dadderface
unusually hip-hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiMango View Post
Argh, Alright, so I really wanna get the little metal holes in my compression shirt. HOW I DO?

Also, anyone know where to get the gloves like these? http://www.otaku-surf.com/wp-content...amtesnake3.jpg
well, the gloves from Snake Eater were pretty much exactly D-3A gloves. The ones in peace walker are exactly the same minus the raised holes/vents. for my gloves i used a small leather hole punch and punched out the vents on my own, but maybe you'd want to try punching the holes and adding small black eyelets. hmm, that's all i can really come up with for ya.
Dadderface is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #6962
KenjiMango

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do. Looks like PW compression shirt has like, elbow padding. i suppose i could use a slick vinyl for that.
KenjiMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #6963
Dadderface
unusually hip-hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiMango View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do. Looks like PW compression shirt has like, elbow padding. i suppose i could use a slick vinyl for that.
It might work better if you use a wet-look spandex. it's less padding and more of just a different texture
Dadderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #6964
KenjiMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadderface View Post
It might work better if you use a wet-look spandex. it's less padding and more of just a different texture
Errr, think a hancock fabric might have?
KenjiMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #6965
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Ordered my AK bayonet today - if I can replicate it in time for the con, I'll be happy, but I have so much stuff I need to do that it's gonna be one of the last things on the list. And if I can't make one I'll just use the sheath and replace the knife with a fake one.

Can't wait to get ittt, gonna be so cool~

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Braig - Kingdom Hearts | Sheik - LoZ (Brawl version)
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
InkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #6966
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

To answer the question about compression shirts, grommets, and the hole punches, I actually haven't seen any wet look/shiny spandex at hancocks, jo annes, or hobby lobby. I had to order some since the collar of my shirt is too short. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet either.

As far as grommets goes, I'd suggest getting a small grommet tool which I think costs around $7 - $10 USD. I actually spent the money and got one of these suckers. I love it and I've used it several ties over the years, and it comes with an assorted batch of grommet. I went ahead add put the grommets in my compression shirt because I had the handy and it didn't take any extra work. You can get a good shot of my costume here and here.

As far as putting them on gloves, however, you'll probably notice that I didn't put it on mine. It's very hard to get the thing into a tight space like a glove and make it work without the risk of damaging another part of the glove itself. I'd still like to either replace my gloves or put the wholes int he ones I have, but that's a whole other issue.

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #6967
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdthompson View Post
As far as grommets goes, I'd suggest getting a small grommet tool which I think costs around $7 - $10 USD. I actually spent the money and got one of these suckers. I love it and I've used it several ties over the years, and it comes with an assorted batch of grommet. I went ahead add put the grommets in my compression shirt because I had the handy and it didn't take any extra work. You can get a good shot of my costume here and here.
My suggestion is not to use the first tool on there. I tried it a few times when I couldn't find my good grommet tool, and it's complete ass. Second one = much better. There's also an even better one made for doing corsets, but it's so expensive that there's no point unless you're going to be making... corsets.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #6968
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Well, that's part of the reason I got the big pliers-style tool - it works so much better. I meant more specifically for the gloves and the price point since your average person/cosplayer doesn't want to spend the money on the tool(s) that they could only possibly use for 1 project.

I wouldn't want to waste my time with the little punch either but I figured I might as well mention the problem I had with my own gloves. In that case I would have liked the smaller tool/punch.

Unread 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #6969
LeonPlisken

Does anyone know what the robe/shirt that Old Snake wears in the Middle Eastern missions of MGS4 is called? I want to try and find one for a future costume and possibly for reenactment purposes. I've tried looking around the web, but can't find anything even remotely similar oddly enough. O__o
LeonPlisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #6970
beema

looks like I stepped in on the convo near the same parts I'm at

I just finished hammering some eyelets in to the sleeves of my compression shirt. They had dark gunmetal colored ones but for some stupid reason I went with the silver (I always get the wrong thing at the store!) and blacked them in a bit with marker, so it looks good now. My only regret is I spaced them a bit farther apart than I probably should have (my forearms are MUCH thinner than Snake's, heh).

Anyways, I'm curious as to what the text on Snake's sleeves says. KD yours says "direct action suit" and some numbers -- is that just something you made up or is there someplace that actually shows what it says?
Also, what did you use to write it on the shirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonPlisken View Post
Does anyone know what the robe/shirt that Old Snake wears in the Middle Eastern missions of MGS4 is called? I want to try and find one for a future costume and possibly for reenactment purposes. I've tried looking around the web, but can't find anything even remotely similar oddly enough. O__o
I believe what you are looking for is called a burnoose, also spelled burnous. It's basically a traditional hooded cloak men wear in the middle east. I dunno where you live, but some kind of middle-eastern garment shop might have it.

It also looks pretty similar to the cloaks you might see people wearing in mideval films (such as the cloaks worn by Aaragorn or Faramir in LOTR). So you might try looking at stores that cater to that style of clothing and weaponry. Although those don't have the sleeves like I think Snake's did.

ps: I will be in costume at Video Games Live in Bethesda this Saturday

Last edited by beema : 02-24-2011 at 02:24 PM.
beema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #6971
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by beema View Post
...I'm curious as to what the text on Snake's sleeves says. KD yours says "direct action suit" and some numbers -- is that just something you made up or is there someplace that actually shows what it says?
Also, what did you use to write it on the shirt?
Heh, deja vu to last August when I was in your shoes and asked the same question; I shall direct you to the answer I got back on page 435:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
The words say "DIRECT ACTION SUIT" with a number underneath that consists mostly of zeros.

I used Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph Universal Ink: http://www.dickblick.com/products/ko...universal-ink/

I haven't taken any pictures of my new compression shirt, but it's made of lycra, and the ink is painted on. I've used this ink for other white-on-black fabric projects, and it looks nice.

Acrylic paint also works, though. I used that on my old compression shirt (also lycra but a thinner, crappier lycra), and it looked great after many washings.
I just used a high-quality Acrylic paint, like Liquitex or Van Gogh because I couldn't find the Koh-I-Noor ink and I had a very limited amount of time to work with. It's been through the wash a couple times and is just as fine as the day I painted it, just as she says it would . I just made sure to stretch the shirt over a poster tube when I was painting it to allow for the stretch of my arm; the one I used is about 3" in diameter.

As for the numbers - They are completely invented by me. In another post, supergeekgirl pointed out to me that the text is the same in his Peace Walker sneaking suit, and actually clear enough to read. (I also noticed Meryl and the boys of RAT PAT 01 have similar sorts of text on their clothes as well since having made my compression shirt) I simply compared the hi-res Peace Walker and Operation: Snake Eater pics and, using the spacing from the MGS3 pics and the blocking and shapes I could make out from MGS:PW pic, came up with that number. So, really it's as close as I could actually see the numbers being without having a literal number to work from. The last number on my list is '2' because I thought it was possibly an item/serial number and the '1' went to the Boss - silly but a neat detail for myself.

You are more than welcome to use that number if you wish; I don't honestly care and I'd be flattered overall. Besides, it'll save you some eye strain. :3

Unread 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #6972
beema

thanks dude

I'm sitting here punching tiny holes in the tops of my gloves with a leather hole puncher as I write this
lol
man what a pain

I feel bad ruining these perfectly good gloves like this. I mean, they were cheap, but still

Last edited by beema : 02-24-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #6973
LeonPlisken

Thanks so much for that info! I live in Arkansas... so multicultural isn't exactly a word that flies down here with ease sadly. That should help my online hunting immensely though. ^_^ Who knows though, I might have just not shopped in the right area... actually come to think of it... why don't I ask one of the exchange students at my college that wear similar clothes wear they purchase theirs. That was a complete brain fart.
LeonPlisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #6974
beema

btw, the real-deal gloves for Snake Eater are these: http://vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=80 the M1949 Glove Shells. D3A gloves are more or less the same thing though, and of course, easy to find everywhere. M1949's are almost non-existent these days. If I actually found a legit pair I'd be really hesitant to cut them up... lol
That site I linked to is a great reference for Vietnam-era gear though.

Speaking of useful sights for that stuff, I found this place randomly:
http://www.mooremilitaria.com/products.htm

they are the only place I've come across so far that sells legit reproduction jungle boots and the proper BDU's (with two pockets and one shoulder pocket) -- not the new, altered versions of either of those which is what you find most places. Basically the only place to find these things new as opposed to surplus. I actually prefer surplus though because it has a nice worn-in look that gives the costume a more authentic appearance.

Last edited by beema : 02-24-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #6975
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Not a problem, Beema. I'm always happy to help a fellow cosplayer; there's no reason to reinvent the wheel after all.

LeonPlisken, that's actually a brilliant idea, whether you have to order it or they know of a store in town you'll hopefully get some good info.