Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 260 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #7096
Vexation
make you feel alright.

Yeah, I've straightened wigs before... you know, chinese wigs in packages for months tend to have some kink/wave to them. <_< I wanted a wavy ish wig cause The Boss had a bit of wave to her hair (it's more evident when it's longer, clearly) but... I couldn't find a wig I liked, so I bought my friend Jo's Rosa Farrell wig from FFIV and IT'S SO THICK. like MADLY THICK for a wig. <____<;

I will look into layering combs, thanks for the tip. c:

Also, husband-to-be/Sorrow/Snake is very entertained by the image of 40's pin-up Boss. xD

March: MOMOCON
pizzazz|jemandtheholograms|, nikki sixx|motleycrue:theaterofpain|, the warden|superjail|, rainbow dash|mlp:fim|
currentproject:
the warden

there's a bullet in the chamber & this is gonna hurt

You're so far in the closet,
you're in Narnia!

Last edited by Vexation : 03-28-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Vexation is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #7097
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Ah. I see. Usually thickness is a good thing (makes a wig look more natural) but I certainly understand... Too much thickness can be just as much of a problem. And yeah, I didn't mean remove all the curl; just a little of it since right now it looks like pin curls instead of the slight wave that's in the Boss' hair.

As far as the layering combs go, the cheapest place I know to them are beauty supply places (Not like a Sally's but the privately owned ones). They come in bright pastel colors and don't cost $5. The one I have is black and a bit heavier and was like $10. It's a sturdier comb but I don't like the curve it has. The cheaper one, to me, does a better job.

LOL I'm glad he's entertained by the idea. I have to say, Pin-up!Boss would surely be a sight to see on the side of a B-52! lol Even in lingerie and heels she'd look ready to kick everybody's tail.

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page

Last edited by kdthompson : 03-28-2011 at 03:26 PM.
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #7098
Vexation
make you feel alright.

It's acutally not as curly as it looks, it's just SUPER THICK and fluffy waves. In its prior incarnation, it was half pulled up into a ponytail and still didn't show wefts, so... it's insanely thick. 8'D When I get paid again I'll likely invest in one of those combs though, thanks for the tip~ c:

And that's just how The Boss is. Heck, I'm sure in lingerie and heels she would still whoop ass, not just look able to do so. xD Lmao.

pizzazz|jemandtheholograms|, nikki sixx|motleycrue:theaterofpain|, the warden|superjail|, rainbow dash|mlp:fim|
currentproject:
the warden

you're in Narnia!
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #7099
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Wow! That is pretty insane. o.o The only case I've ever heard of such awesomeness from a wig are human hair, cancer patient wigs. I'd be curious to know what brand that is if so, assuming it's a synthetic wig.

And yeah, if you do a fair amount of wig styling for yourself or friends, getting one is a really good idea. I managed to be the designated wig stylist in my group of friends so even the more expensive model hasn't been a waste of money. There isn't really a wig I don't use it to cut, and many styles that's all I use other than a pair of scissors to get rid of any sort of major areas of length. The blades are also replaceable but I haven't seen any 'refill' blades. I'm sure that if you took it out of the comb (there's usually a couple clips that snap loose) and honed it, it would be sharp again just like with any sort of straight edge.

lol Naw... she'd still look like she was very able to - She's the Boss! I don't think there's a time she doesn't ever mean business.

Last edited by kdthompson : 03-28-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #7100
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

WHY ARE MY REPLIES SO GIGANTIC
Thanks for the links, guys! Marsh sent me a place that’s got them fairly low-priced and they’re only 2.5” tall as opposed to 3”, so I’ll probably set myself up with a pair of those.
On the discussion of being mistaken for other characters, it shouldn’t bother you if someone unfamiliar with the series does it. Let’s face it; a lot of folks only know Snake from Brawl or MGAwesome or other appearances and parodies. But when someone’s cosplaying from the same series or recognizes your friend, but not you…yeah, that’s definitely embarrassing for everyone involved.
And a lingerie the Boss? Can't say I'd be okay with that. But then, slutted-up characters are a peeve of mine...if you want to wear it in the bedroom, that's one thing. Or if it's a half-naked Eva or what have you, that's canon. With characters that are already sort of skanky, that's one thing. But the Boss...she's a role model. That would be kind of messed up. Also, I would probably emit unfathomable amounts of nerdrage.

InkRaven: Good luck, looking forward to seeing progress! Aside from Hotcelot, there aren’t nearly enough Ocelot cosplayers out there! Lengthening can be a pain in the ass; I’m sure I’ll have to do it a lot with Sniper Wolf. That leggy bitch. And don’t feel bad about your costume being mostly bought—most MGS cosplayers buy their entire costume anyways. I think this thread is really a minority of people who sew and/or are familiar with military gear in a sea of bought BDUs and random thrown-together pouches and spraypainted Toys R Us pistols.

Vex: Oh god, thank you so much. I’ve been so preoccupied the past few days trying to remember what that dye was called. I didn’t want to look it up because that felt like cheating…
Sorry about not winning because the judges were ignorant. I don’t compete anymore—mainly because I hate competition—but the whole “popular always wins” is definitely also a factor in that. It’s like, if a Scott Pilgrim or Pokemon group enters, you might as well not even bother.
Boss looks nice so far. I think the wig needs a hot water, a trim, and a brief bath in brown RIT dye. It’s a little too blonde, you know? Maybe some contouring make-up too, since the Boss is an older woman with deep cheekbones. Looks good aside from that, though.

Finally got more mock-up fabric. If I'm feeling well enough tomorrow, I'm going to start on S. Wolf's pants. :3
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime

Last edited by Katsumiyo : 03-28-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #7101
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdthompson View Post

...Though I will say if you wanted to do like a 40s pin up Boss, you've certainly got the perfect wig for it
And @ the rest of you talking about it...

I did finish my girdle tonight. *waits for longer, wavier wig to come in* I'm finishing the bra this week. You all know I'm an exhibitionist. Before I put the wig up in a victory roll, I'll have Sorrow take some pictures of me. All of us Boss cosplayers can fill the 'net with pin-ups. *heheh* *conspires*

By the way, I don't care if someone doesn't like it. I'm about the biggest Boss fan around (except The Boss who is worse than I am), so don't mind if I do.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 03-28-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: realized I made a Freudian slip there... "some of me"...
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #7102
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
And @ the rest of you talking about it...

I did finish my girdle tonight. *waits for longer, wavier wig to come in* I'm finishing the bra this week. You all know I'm an exhibitionist. Before I put the wig up in a victory roll, I'll have Sorrow take some pictures of me. All of us Boss cosplayers can fill the 'net with pin-ups. *heheh* *conspires*

By the way, I don't care if someone doesn't like it. I'm about the biggest Boss fan around (except The Boss who is worse than I am), so don't mind if I do.
Ok... I'm sorry but I... I gotta stop you here on this...

This. Is. A. Bad. Idea.

Joy isn't an attention whore. That's fine if you are but for someone like her, mission comes above all else. And doing something like this tarnishes not only her reputation, but yours as well. I am so sick and fucking tired of people (pardon my language) whoring up characters for the sake of being showey. Example; You'll never see me go as LOL BUTTSEX SEALS Plissken because it never fucking happened in the game. The WWII version I can understand and even support, as she did serve in WWII. I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider doing a Korean War Big boss. I wouldn't expect anyone to get it but whatever... but going around all decked out in burlesque attire trying to pass yourself off as The Boss is going beyond the pale. That isn't her. That's lemon slashfic territory. But hey, whatever. If you wanna rape Boss' memory more than Strangelove did, have at it, yo.
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #7103
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Um, Katsu, I was joking. I'm apparently the 1 person that goes "EW! She's like your MOM" in relation to the Boss. It simply a "You know what would be funny" moment and ran with it. I hate sluttifying/gender swapping characters simply for the sake of doing so/laziness myself. The open sneaking-suit and the end of the game bothers me enough without seriously thinking of her in less; I wasn't making her any less of a role model. Congrats on finding a place to order your patches.

And, Supergeekgirl. um... congrats on the vintage, government issue undies? Whenever you start spamming pics, just warn me so I can cover my eyes (See above note about 'Ew! She's like your MOM!') Though, whenever you start them, I am VERY curious about seeing your patches. :3c

Unread 03-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #7104
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

KD: I wasn't aiming my comment at you. Why so personal? I meant in general. I'd dislike it the same way I'd dislike a lingerie Zelda or a bikini Commander Shepard. It was a general statement. I didn't say "Oh my god KD if you do one I will gut you like a fish." I like you. I wouldn't say that.
Geek: Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't say you're the #1 Boss fan but if it makes you happy, no one can stop you, right?
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #7105
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

I know I was the one that started the line of conversation. All of it was pretty well fun and games, and you seemed really upset and I didn't want the intent of my jokes to be thought of as anything else.

Unread 03-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #7106
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

I ain't upset. I'm just short with my words. I guess it's easily interpreted that way but I just say what's on my mind. It's just like, my opinion, man.
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #7107
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Well, it is text and that is all in the interpretation I suppose. I've simply seen folks get upset over less, so I was just trying to minimize anything before things get out of hand.

TL: DR - Nothing to see here; move along.

Unread 03-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #7108
Dadderface
unusually hip-hop

no matter the line of conversation here, I do have to agree that the boss is a pretty pure character in my eyes, too. Not to say that she isn't a human being, but that she does fit a very maternal, matriarchal (sp?) sort of role so I can totally relate to those who would react negatively to such things. She certainly fulfilled many roles for Snake, but certain roles were never thrown in the players face for a reason.
Dadderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #7109
Vexation
make you feel alright.

Personally, I can still be sexually attracted to women in their 40s and 50s if they look good. Heck, some actresses are getting up there. Personally, I find Boss to be a beautiful woman and, yes, sexually attractive (go go pansexuality here) so...

Again, shes a fictional character. We're all going to see her in different ways. As long as there is no blatant nudity for nudity's sake, I really don't care.

ANYWAY back on topic about the wig and such: the wig is definitely a work in progress. xD And my fiance was supposed to be doing my makeup that morning as I am MISERABLE with it, but he got called in to work early so... no such luck there. I'm going to practice aging makeup reguardless, considering I cosplay the mother from Assassin's Creed II as well as The Boss and I am... well, I'm not even 20 yet. 8|

EDIT:
Ganked another photo of my Boss costume (again with my friend as Major Motoko. Go go empowered women?) and you can see the other side of the costume. goddamnedgloverippedmumblegruntrage. Also my wig before it went poof to the max due to running in the rain. :[
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2887295/

currentproject:
the warden

you're in Narnia!

Last edited by Vexation : 03-29-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #7110
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Two words: lighten up

I was originally going to do some WAC pin-up shots without anything Boss-like about them because... hell, I made the underwear, so why not? But seeing people taking things like srsbsns makes me want to break brains for the hell of it. Better than some other forms of trolling.

::trollface::
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote