Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 337 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #7111
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

Hey, we're not saying don't do it.

We're just saying the idea sounds chop-your-dick-off retarded, and a tad bit insulting, that's all.

The Boss is a lot of things to a lot of people. To me she's a traitor who turned her back on her allies for what amounted to one big nothing in the end, and deserved everything she got. She isn't, however, one of those big, frothy LOOK AT ME girls, and that's what it sounds like you're making her out to be.

I like to keep 'slut' and 'target practice' in two different categories, personally. Makes it easier to remember which weapon to use.

Unread 03-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #7112
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMarshall View Post

I like to keep 'slut' and 'target practice' in two different categories, personally. Makes it easier to remember which weapon to use.
My God, I love this line!

Sorry for hijacking the conversation. I'm just playing around, guys.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #7113
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
nudity for nudity's sake[/url]
I think that's the primary issue here. There are definitely some foxy older women out there.
...Was I the only one attracted to Big Mama? Probably.
As for make-up, try looking up contouring tutorials. If you want to practice by yourself but don't want to waste expensive make-up, try getting one of those color wheels. I got one for "old people make-up" that was like five bucks to practice with and I ended up using it for a ton of stuff. To find where your natural wrinkles would be, do stuff like raising your eyebrows and smiling and such and then use a q-tip rubbed in make-up a shade darker than your skintone to dab it into the wrinkles. It'll take a lot of practice and you'll do a lot of refining but with just a few practice sessions you'll get pretty good at it. :3 I've been spitballing the idea of a Big Mama cosplay so if you still have trouble and want me to make a few pics on how to do it, I'd be happy to help you out.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #7114
Vexation
make you feel alright.

Help is always welcomed, and if you had the time to do it, that would be fabulous of you, Katsu. <3

And I personally think Big Mama was especially gorgeous and is on my list of "cosplays I would do now but will save for when I am older so I have something to cosplay" lmao.

March: MOMOCON
pizzazz|jemandtheholograms|, nikki sixx|motleycrue:theaterofpain|, the warden|superjail|, rainbow dash|mlp:fim|
currentproject:
the warden

there's a bullet in the chamber & this is gonna hurt

You're so far in the closet,
you're in Narnia!
Vexation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #7115
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Hey guyyyys, guess who sewed on the other sleeve for their shirt mockup?

WARNING: HUGE F'IN' PHOTO DUMP AHEAD.

I wore most of the props I have completed (or semi-completed so far so you can get an idea of how everything's gonna work together.

Main issues that I'm seeing myself are that the shoulders are NOT wide enough (I didn't put my shoulder pads underneath but still) and it definitely needs to be longer. I also neglected to add that silly seam ocelot has on his back but that was because it was the first time working with this pattern and I didn't want to make it any harder than it needed to be.

Also note that my left arm has a shorter sleeve length than the other one - I changed it in relation to the length added to the cuff. Tell me which one looks better?

Additional changes that I need to make are welcome - I need to know this stuff before I cut out the fabric :'D

PS: I think I fiiinally found a RL equivalent to Ocelot's pants - here is the link. You can see the front seams/folds whatever they are. Would these be alright to try and make? Or am I going to die from my sewing machine eating me if I attempt it?

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Braig - Kingdom Hearts | Sheik - LoZ (Brawl version)
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
InkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #7116
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

As far as cuffs/sleeves go, with your arm down, the end of the sleeve should hit the middle of your palm. From the looks of it, the longer sleeve is better.

And I can definitely see what you meant about the shoulders. The seam for the sleeve shouldn't sit on top of your shoulder like it is, it should come just past the outer edge of your arm (I don't think what I'm trying to explain makes sense.... if not I can probably put on a few suit jackets and take some photos to show you.)

Also, have you thought about what you're going to wear under that jacket? With the scarf and gloves, I'd hate for you to overheat. I've heard it can be a problem for some Ocelot cosplayers.

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #7117
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdthompson View Post
As far as cuffs/sleeves go, with your arm down, the end of the sleeve should hit the middle of your palm. From the looks of it, the longer sleeve is better.

And I can definitely see what you meant about the shoulders. The seam for the sleeve shouldn't sit on top of your shoulder like it is, it should come just past the outer edge of your arm (I don't think what I'm trying to explain makes sense.... if not I can probably put on a few suit jackets and take some photos to show you.)

Also, have you thought about what you're going to wear under that jacket? With the scarf and gloves, I'd hate for you to overheat. I've heard it can be a problem for some Ocelot cosplayers.
I'm thinking I might go with the longer length as well, though I still might shorten it an inch or two because it's annoyingly long - I had pinned to my long sleeve shirt so it would stay in place but still >.>

I think the shoulder seam problem is due to the fact that the pattern was made for girls and not guys - luckily, since I'm crossplaying my wider shoulders come in handy but in terms of patterns like this it's quite annoying, because otherwise I'm actually pretty small. So basically all the measurements will work EXCEPT for the shoulders -.-

And aww, thanks for the overheating concern! The gloves won't bother me in terms of overheating, they'll bother me in terms of not being able to touch things with my bare hands :'D I'm going to try to keep them on as much as possible though. As for the scarf and hat, I've worn Ocelot before (with a different shirt) and I didn't have too much of a problem with overheating. I'm planning on making the uniform out of cotton twill and I'll probably wear just a tank top underneath since I'm gonna be wearing a compression shirt as well.

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #7118
Vexation
make you feel alright.

Coming from a girl that cosplayed Sephiroth at Otakon: Water, and lots of it. Don't be a moron like me and go without eating/drinking for a day and faint in costume. (That wig is still tangled from that, oi.)

Anyway, agreeing on the longer length of the jacket here. And if you want me to do a quick tutorial on pattern modifications to make the shoulder seam stick out more, let me know. I make my own patterns, and usually had the problem of the shoulder seam being too far off my arm. <__<; then I FINALLY figured it out. Sheesh...

pizzazz|jemandtheholograms|, nikki sixx|motleycrue:theaterofpain|, the warden|superjail|, rainbow dash|mlp:fim|
currentproject:
the warden

you're in Narnia!
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #7119
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
Coming from a girl that cosplayed Sephiroth at Otakon: Water, and lots of it. Don't be a moron like me and go without eating/drinking for a day and faint in costume. (That wig is still tangled from that, oi.)

Anyway, agreeing on the longer length of the jacket here. And if you want me to do a quick tutorial on pattern modifications to make the shoulder seam stick out more, let me know. I make my own patterns, and usually had the problem of the shoulder seam being too far off my arm. <__<; then I FINALLY figured it out. Sheesh...
Yes please! Do I have to use a french curve for it? Cause I can't remember if I have one...

I'm thinking of adding an inch to each side. Would that be enough to stick them so they're off my shoulders?

Current Cosplays
Cosplay in Progress
Future Cosplays:
Retired Cosplays
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #7120
Vexation
make you feel alright.

It involves modifying the pattern just a bit. And it didn't take any special seaming. As a self-taught seamstress, i don't know a lot of the fancy stuff. xD

Just to make sure: You're wanting to have the seamline rest just off your shoulder, right?

currentproject:
the warden

you're in Narnia!
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #7121
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Yes. I cosplayed the Spy from TF2 one year at Otakon myself - that's got crazy layers to it as well. Water water water! Also, I know when I walked around outside between the con an the mall (AKA The Valley of Death) I took off my suit jacket, which helped a lot.

I'd be curious to see that myself; I've always struggled with sleeve holes in patterns. It's the main reason I'll be seeking help for making an Ocelot uniform pattern (That an only knowing a few things about men's tailoring.)

Also, Ink Raven, you've got a really awesome face shape for Ocelot - nice, sharp jaw line and high cheek bones. You can high light these things with some make-up but I wouldn't go too overboard.

Though it seems everyone in MGS has high cheekbones.

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page

Last edited by kdthompson : 03-30-2011 at 12:17 PM.
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #7122
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Sleeves have a few basic shapes, and it looks like what you're going for is like a suit jacket sleeve. It should rest just off of your shoulder. You should give the torso section more of a diagonal shape at the arm hole with a gradual curve to it so that the opening is closer to your body under your armpit and further from your body at the shoulder. Be careful not to make it too diagonal or the curve too sharp, or you'll find yourself cutting off a point where your shoulder is.

Here's the basic shape of a sleeve hole: http://www.kxcad.net/autodesk/3ds_ma...image0 06.gif

The sleeve itself is generally shaped like this (though you can tone down the curve at the top if you don't want your ease stitch to create too much gathering along your shoulders): http://www.whatthecraft.com/pics/tut/sleeve/sleeve3.gif

Does any of that help at all, or is am I just telling you things that you already know?

I believe the seam across the back of his shirt is called a yoke seam. It's really, really easy to do one, and it will make the fit of your shirt nicer. Here's a wordy tutorial: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...rt_fits_badly/ , but the TL;DR version is that you cut your pattern at the place where you want the seam, lay it on your new mockup fabric with an inch gap, cut straight across the middle of that gap, cut a narrow triangle out at each side to make it curve over your back better, and then sew the pieces together. Simple as pie, and it looks lovely. If you topstitch on either side (double-welt seam), you'll have a nice, military look.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 03-30-2011 at 02:21 PM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #7123
Vexation
make you feel alright.

Here it is with no technical terminology.

When you're looking at your pattern, you'll need to readjust the armhole of the sleeves. The top part of the sleeve that rests between your neck and your shoulder? You're working with that part. Add length to it and change where it falls.

I'm sure I didn't make much sense, so I tried to draw it out here. I'm no artist. If this STILL makes no sense, I can whip out some newspaper and show you a pattern.

currentproject:
the warden

you're in Narnia!
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #7124
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

...I've done Otakon in Wesker's midnight outfit.

You people are wussies.
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #7125
Vernedead
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMarshall View Post
...I've done Otakon in Wesker's midnight outfit.

You people are wussies.
I did AX08 in my Hunk costume, you are small time.

PM me if you are interested in a LED MGS4 "Solid Eye"
Vernedead is offline   Reply With Quote