Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #7546
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Another good point, Dadderface. I'd chocked up the digitization up to the old texture map myself, but I know I've seen digital tiger stripe before. It honestly hadn't crossed my mind at all.

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #7547
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

Yeah. They're wearing Airman Battle Uniforms.

Quick. Ask me how I know.

http://patriotoutfittersusa.com/prod...oat__32345.jpg
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #7548
Dadderface
unusually hip-hop

How Do You Know, Matt?
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #7549
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadderface View Post
How Do You Know, Matt?
El. I'll kill you. Don't think I won't, because I will. Bullets in you and dead.

The good news is, I'll bury you in a FOXHOUND coat.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #7550
Dadderface
unusually hip-hop

As long as you stab me with those bullets, then we're fine. How's dem coats comin' along?
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #7551
Panda Majik

Started pulling some casts of the Cyborg Ninja helmet:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3128736/
Panda Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #7552
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Hey dudes, haven't been on in a while. Besides my MGS3 Ocelot cosplay, I have now ventured in the TOTALLY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT territory of Ocelot from MGS1! HOW DIFFERENT IS THAT GUYS.

Anyways, I'm having some issues. I figured that because most of Ocelot's clothing isn't terribly weird/hard to find that it would be worth a shot to go into some stores and see if i could just buy it off the shelf and mod it a bit.

However, I forgot (again) that men's sizes are too big for me, especially concerning his pants, which I assume are some sort of boot-cut but aren't jeans. That, and his vest I already know is going to be a big problem since it's definitely some sort of Old West style rather than the vests made nowadays. Any ideas where I could find boot-cut men's pants that aren't made of denim?

Also what the hell is that weird tie he's wearing, it looks like a scarf but it's not? And the collar of Ocelot's white dress shirt is confusing at hell, because it looks like a stand-up collar but I can't be sure...

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Braig - Kingdom Hearts | Sheik - LoZ (Brawl version)
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
InkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #7553
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

InkRaven - As far as the tie is concerned, considering Ocelot's old west fetish, he's most likely wearing a red ascot.

Also, check victorian/old west clothing for what type of shirt that is outside of being a high stand collared shirt.

I'm sure As far as pants go, have you checked boys clothes? I know sometimes I Have to get dress pants and things from that section so they're made correctly (ie - fly is on the correct side, hemmed correctly, proper fit, etc) You sometimes end up cheaper as well. I would assume they are actually jeans since jeans have been around forever and a constant go to work clothing for miners and cowboys alike. Plus, mens/boys boot cut pants fall differently than women's/girls'. I'd just make sure it's either a dark wash or solid color pair of pants and avoid pants that have predone fading or distressing. If you don't want to go that route, look at general work pants which are heavier than a pair of dress pants would be otherwise.

I've only seen shots of the action figure online and I don't have a save file I can look it up on so I apologize there. Just a thought... Hope that's helpful to you somewhat.

Last edited by kdthompson : 01-05-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #7554
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

ktd:
That was actually really helpful, especially for the vest! I was looking at the old west site for their ascots, and I noticed that the puff ties looked pretty similiar, if not closter ot what Ocelot is wearing. I'm guessing I could go either way on this one? the only problem witht hat site is that they don't have any that are just plain red, but i figured that if I just got the most subtly patterned one it'd just make my Ocelot look fancier.

I found some pants at Sears that look nearly perfect for this cosplay - I'm just hoping the Sears near me still has them in stock! >.<

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #7555
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Ink Raven - Well, often if something isn't in stock locally I've bought it on line and they will pull it for me and there's the "online order pick up" area or you can have it shipped to store usually for free.

Unread 01-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #7556
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

Ink... hit up Abbyshot before they discontinue the coat.

Barring that, your next best option is to buy one off my wife. Prbably about half the price, twice the quality.
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #7557
MarshMan65

Hi!

Im new to the boards (just registered today) and I plan to go to a Convention this year ias a Metal Gear character (not sure who) costume..It will be my first cosplay and im looking for suggestions on how to get started..Any advice helps!

Thanks!

Marsh
MarshMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #7558
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Maniac, I'm not seeing the coat up on Abbyshot at all... they must've discontinued it sometime ago :/

EDIT: for some reason, only foudn it through searching google and not the site, lol. Also, Jesus H Christ WHY is it $400??!?!? I mean, I love Metal Gear, but I'm a college student! I'm not made of disposable income! (yet)

Do you perchance have any pictures of the coat your wife has? I'd love to see it!

Also, I decided I'm going to make the vest myself, seeing as the patterns and fabric will be relatively cheap with my coupons, whooo

Current Cosplays
Cosplay in Progress
Future Cosplays:
Retired Cosplays

Last edited by InkRaven : 01-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Unread 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #7559
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkRaven View Post
Maniac, I'm not seeing the coat up on Abbyshot at all... they must've discontinued it sometime ago :/

EDIT: for some reason, only foudn it through searching google and not the site, lol. Also, Jesus H Christ WHY is it $400??!?!? I mean, I love Metal Gear, but I'm a college student! I'm not made of disposable income! (yet)

Do you perchance have any pictures of the coat your wife has? I'd love to see it!

Also, I decided I'm going to make the vest myself, seeing as the patterns and fabric will be relatively cheap with my coupons, whooo

Why is it $400? Because it's effin' awesome, that's why. It's high quality stuff. But when my wife finishes my Big Boss version, I'll take some pictures.

Also. MarshMan65, I'm going to need you to delete your account. Like now. You're using my noms de guerre, and that's something I simply cannot abide.
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #7560
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkRaven View Post

The main reason my husband did MGS2 Ocelot back when he wanted to be Ocelot was the damned coat. I had no desire (and not the experience at the time) to make one, so I modified an outback coat from MGS2 Ocelot instead.

Looking at it now, it's still a difficult coat, and that's coming from someone who made the Boss's sneaking suit twice. However, if you did decide to try making it, it might be a fun first-big-project costume. You could enter it in masquerades and such.

@MarshMan - If it's your first MGS costume, you could go the route most use and do MGS3 Big Boss/Naked Snake. It's a costume that doesn't require a lot of sewing experience as you can buy most of the pieces. Also, there are tutorials and buying lists about for Big Boss.
But really, to start, who is your favorite character in the series?
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 01-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote