Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 337 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #7561
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

@supergeekgirl Honestly, the main reason I'm making this costume is because my friends are doing a skit, and Young Ocelot wouldn't fit the bill without causing some horrible time paradoxes. I know it sounds like a bad reason, but I really really really like Ocelot when he's older. Plus, I already have some parts of the costume done (bandoleers and gloves, which sounds silly, but those damn gloves!!!), so I'm not too terribly concerned. And in the end, I get to pretend to be a crotchety old man who loves the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet into a well-greased chamber So I guess the skit is an excuse to make this costume!

Thanks for the advice on the coat though, I know that the abbyshot coat is expensive cause it's well-made etc.... however I'd rather commission it from someone instead for the time-being so that I can save my sanity for the two months (!) before Anime Boston, since I know it's going to be pretty low when I go to make the hairline for my Ocelot wig. I'll probably definitely try making it later though, it sounds like it would be a pretty fun project~

I would love to enter masquerades but from what I hear it ends up eating up a lot of your con time, not leaving a lot of room for wandering around and panels, which are my two favorite activities :'D That, and I honestly don't think my skills are quite up to par to compete. If I did enter, it would probably be with a Major Ocelot remake, or something that's actually elaborate and more generally recognizable...

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Braig - Kingdom Hearts | Sheik - LoZ (Brawl version)
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
InkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #7562
MarshMan65

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
The main reason my husband did MGS2 Ocelot back when he wanted to be Ocelot was the damned coat. I had no desire (and not the experience at the time) to make one, so I modified an outback coat from MGS2 Ocelot instead.

Looking at it now, it's still a difficult coat, and that's coming from someone who made the Boss's sneaking suit twice. However, if you did decide to try making it, it might be a fun first-big-project costume. You could enter it in masquerades and such.

@MarshMan - If it's your first MGS costume, you could go the route most use and do MGS3 Big Boss/Naked Snake. It's a costume that doesn't require a lot of sewing experience as you can buy most of the pieces. Also, there are tutorials and buying lists about for Big Boss.
But really, to start, who is your favorite character in the series?

The group I am going with has decided to go with a MGS3 theme...So I guess I am going to try to get a Major Ocelot uniform together...Any recommendations on where to get the basic parts of the costume?(Shirt, pants, etc.

@ManiacMarshall....With an awesome name like mine... I cant help but use it in my usernames..Sorry dude
MarshMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #7563
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

Aren't young Ocelot's pants the jodhpurs?

http://www.amazon.com/1910s-1940s-La.../dp/B004X18O8C

Actually, pretty much all the officers indoor uniform pants are jodhpurs, now that I think about it...
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #7564
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuxieChan View Post
Aren't young Ocelot's pants the jodhpurs?

http://www.amazon.com/1910s-1940s-La.../dp/B004X18O8C
There's a Jodhpur pattern?

Why didn't I find this earlier!!!?!?!!?! I had almost given up on making the things, seeing as the only thing I had that was anywhere close to a pattern was a drafting thing and well... I can't read Russian notations, let alone all that shorthand...

@ MarshMan If you're doing Young Ocelot, just make sure you do him justice! His bandoliers are gonna be what really seals the deal...
http://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-...5956301&sr=1-3

Of course, I've no idea of your skill level, but I can guarentee that these are fun to make. Just don't use leather unless you know what you're doing - I just used vinyl and my cosplay came out fine c:

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts

Last edited by InkRaven : 01-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #7565
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Yes I wish I'D seen the jodhpur pattern, too. :| I'd think Major Ocelot's a bit complex for someone's first cosplay, but I'm not one to discourage you if you feeling motivated and ambitious. Good luck to you.

Having recently made it from scratch, there's not much you can simply buy outside of the beret, scarf, boots, and spurs. Yay English riding boots with western spurs. *facepalm*

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #7566
MarshMan65

Thanks for all of the advice!

Ill definitely get to work on it!

any advice on how to make the badges/pins for his uniform?
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #7567
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkRaven View Post

When you start looking at Reconstructing History and Folkwear patterns, a whole new world of historical patterns opens before you. But they are usually TWICE the price of your typical patterns. That's the downside.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #7568
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Marshman - I ended up making then out of cardboard, polystyrene, craft foam, nail polish, and model paint for the most part. I wasn't terribly thrilled with how it looked but it worked in a pinch. The collar tabs and shoulder boards are wool fabric, gold ribbon, and and gold buttons (but since the high res renders have come out, they're clearly soviet buttons which can be ordered from a surplus store) I actually made the ribbon bars too (which is the 1 part I am proud of) white ribbed ribbon cut to length wrapped around cardboard placed on pin backs and the stripes are painted on with regular acrylic paint. I was just going to use fabric paint, but it bleed badly and wasn't a bright as I needed.

Unread 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #7569
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Deleted. Sorry, guys.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 01-13-2012 at 12:56 PM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #7570
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

I actually just used a dress pants pattern and added the jodhpur poofs to the sides. Came out nice, actually. They weren't too dificult to make and it was my first time making pants from scratch.
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #7571
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Turns out our Masq got canceled due to various factors... I'm almost grateful for it, since I'm preeeetty sure we weren't ready. Still doing MGS1 ocelot though!

Current Cosplays
Cosplay in Progress
Future Cosplays:
Retired Cosplays
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #7572
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

KnuxieChan - I did similar when I was working on the Ocelot uniform; I found a parachute pants pattern from the 80's, turned them into regular straight leg pants paints and added the Jodhpur hips, too. I was able to add pockets to the pants too, which was awesome. Still would have just preferred to have the pattern; less work, etc. But I'm stubborn and hate paying for patterns if I don't have to, so thinking back I probably wouldn't have bought it regardless.

InkRaven - Well that blows. I know I've worked in several skits myself (I occasionally miss it, then I think back to just how much of the con I ended up missing to do those skits, and then I don't miss it so much.) However, whee new costume!

Unread 01-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #7573
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Found the first image of my Solid Snake cosplay online, debuted at SacAnime Winter 2012 (a small con in Sacramento CA). I did a shoot with Rander (he did my Robin shoot at SacAnime summer), so expect a few photos from that too once I get 'em...

Source
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #7574
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

Niiice.

And about... 65% done with Raiden. All the little details are such a pain in the ass.
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
Unread 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #7575
MarshMan65

Any recommendations for a good Soviet Surplus store online?
Im trying to find the belt for my major ocelot costume....