Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 05-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

EGL advice?

This is my first attempt at an EGL outfit and I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions?
Here is a picture of my latest photshoot:
My EGL costume
I want to go for a "darker"/ "scarier" look so does anyone have any makeup tips or anything I could/should add or if I should leave it as is?
Also, I have another EGL planned on the way, so if I don't alter this one, I will take into consideration any advice given on this costume for my next one ^.^V
Thanks for your time ^^
~Anji
Note: I originally posted this on the J-rock section not realizing there was this section.. so any admins tyhat read this, you might want to close my other one
xfallenangelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Lyn
ginga bishonen

Hmm....might want to try adding a headpiece to make it more lolita-ish as right now it just looks like a slightly gothic outfit. Maybe some lace might help too, especially white. It might seem like that would make the outfit look more cutesy than scary but with EGL, it works. Just as long as you keep the dark make-up going and the black theme. Unless you want to go more EGA with a more mature look and in that case, probably black lace is what you want. Maybe add some elegant gloves too. And I think the make-up is good, just you might want to try posing with your eyes opened, looking more towards the camera and give a fierce look as opposed to looking elegant and meek with the pose you have there. Its a nice pose and all, just not really establishing the scary feel you want, unless you're intending to be Mana-esque, which in that case, you got it down except would need slightly more make-up.

Eh, just suggestions from what I've seen of other EGL outfits and stuff in the Gothic Lolita Bibles. I can't give any helps with make-up because I don't have any clue with that. I only cosplay guys, after all. ^^;
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

Well, the headband is in progress now, just trying to figure out how to get the kinks out of my sewing machine... Ok, so lace and gloves.. any suggestions on what color gloves?. Also, are you thinking more about a pose like this?
Thanks for the advice
~Anji
Unread 05-17-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
Kitten
U+K Kitten

This is going to sound kind of stupid, but one of the best things you can do to set a "mood" for your costume is to choose a good background and props that get your point across. If you want to look scarier/darker, take pictures in a more dimly lit room, without a lot of brightly colored objects. For props, keep the colors dark and the objects themselves rather gothic.

If you like pictures outside, maybe sunset or dusk would be a better time to take them? I don't know how much your camera will like that idea, but it'll make your pictures come out more the way you want them to.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
Lyn
ginga bishonen

Probably black gloves to match the outfit. And yes, that pose is great as I can see more of the costume and you have less of a meek look now. And yeah, I agree with Kitten that maybe taking some night pictures or at least in some dark place, may help as well to get a really gothic look. Maybe a dim-lited room.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

Ok, thanks for the advice guys
~Anji
Unread 06-02-2004, 01:42 PM   #7
ardichan
Never Grow Up!

Hi Fallenangel! I finally catch you in cosplay.com... I've seen some of your artwork on DeviantArt... Anways, I just wanted to say that your EGL costume looks great.

My suggestions may or may not be of much help, but here it is anyways... I have asian eyes, so smoking my eyes helps a lot for the gothic look. BIG dark eyes on a pale white skin looks quite dramatic. I also have jet black hair... so light foundation makes it even more black. So to add effect I usually use clip in streaks with really bright colors --- like pink, or orange.

Will you be attending AX by any chance?
ardichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
fushigi-chan

This site has a really great tutorial for getting the Mana look for makeup.
So that may help ^_^
fushigi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #9
Kei Hoshiakari
This is SO fuar fuar ciiy

Personally I think the costume looks rather plain. You could use more lace and ribbon. And maybe instead of gloves you could have sleeves like this:http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/jac...j2004-0888.jpg (That's the chocobo EGL a friend of mine made) Yeah, I just adore those sleeves.