Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Central

Closed Thread
Unread 05-17-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

All the hug me signs and agressive huggers

I'm probably going to get flammed by the people who were doing this, but... *sighs* I was getting REALLY tired of all the people begging for hugs.

While I know that's a personal preference, I didn't particularily mind the ones that just happened to have a "hug me" sign. It's the ones that were screaming "HUG ME!" loudly at people or directly getting in their paths and demanding to be hugged that were really irritating me.

NO MEANS NO MEANS NO MEANS NO. If I don't want to hug you, don't hug me anyway or pout at me. Just because someone is in a costume or is in a costume of your favorite character doesn't give you permission to touch.

When I was dressed as Akabane from Get Backers, I was being "in character" and... Akabane doesn't really hug, from what I've seen of the show and the manga. In fact, he doesn't really even touch anyone and no one touchs him... Also, I have issues with personal space, and I don't really even like when someone is standing really close to me, let alone someone I don't know trying to hug me...

And when I was in my Animatrix costume, the armor could be easily badly bent out of shape, and I actually had two of the chain-link armor pieces pulled off by people trying to grab me while I was in that costume. One of the Sesshomaru (I can't spell) cosplayers I talked to actually had part of their costume broken by someone hugging them without asking...

I actually think if people are going to be so obnoxious about asking for hugs, signs asking for hugs should be banned at next year's Anime Central. They did ban signs asking for money in return for things. If you guys WANT the privelledge to carry around signs asking for hugs, you have to behave like RESPONSIBLE individuals while you're doing it.

I mean, how would you feel if you knew you'd run up and hugged someone who had issues with having been abused and you set off mental issues for them? (many people who have been abused have problems with being touched by strangers).

Unread 05-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
EinNigma

I agree, a lot of the signs were annoying, but I don't know if they should be banned. I just think people ought to tone things down. I do have to admit I was quite flattered when some girl walked up and asked for a kiss, which I (unwisely?) declined.

The spin-off signs were funny though. My cosplay group even started wearing some around on Sunday. It would have been funnier on Saturday, but we still got major props for them.

"All your sign are belong to us"

Last edited by EinNigma : 05-17-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:06 PM   #3
Black_Knight
WINNER OF THE GAME

Were you the one who tried to kick me in the groin?

But Hugs are one of the other bricks of the Otaku foundation...

Love is Over...

Costumes
Evangelion Unit-03 - Completed when Duke Nukem Forever is released
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
ParnsAngel
Elven Inside

I enjoy the ones that say "pocky for hugs," cause then I get pocky out of it. *lol*
But the guys with the "kiss me, I have low self-esteem" signs were...interesting...I had one come up to me, stand there pointedly, and when I shook my head no, he turned it around and it said "please?" which was cute, but dude, no! XD

I really enjoyed the little sign cult that sprung up with things like...well now I totally forgot what their signs said, but that was awesome XD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...un/banner6.jpg
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

I found many of the signs very annoying. If however, there is someone that is very aggressive, or won't take no for an answer, please please please report them to con security. They won't stop until someone in authority stops them or ejects them from the con.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
Sakon

Ah... I think I very much did not enjoy those people. The one time I said okay (first and last) the little jerk buried his face in my breasts and then ran. (he was in red wearing a red helmet) And then later (not hugging, but in the same gettin' ones jollies vein) a guy tried to take a photo of me and my friend when she rested her head on my shoulder. He didn't ask. He just tried to sneak a photo op. I elbowed her awake and he very audibly swore because he missed a good 'yuri' pic.

There are friendly hugs (with people I know or know through someone else) but there are two many people running around doing more than they are permitted. Hug does not mean they should try and shove their tongue down someones throat (happened to guy I know at Acen this year...)
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #7
AllStarAlice
Astrosexy

Some people were just out of control. People asked to hug me several times, I had to keep telling them BE CAREFUL because my costumes were really delicate, especially my Warrior Yuna.

The signs to me were just ghey. Not even one of them was amusing to me...They all pretty much said the same things.

And Sakon, your signature is freaking awesome. ^____^
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #8
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Ah... I think I very much did not enjoy those people. The one time I said okay (first and last) the little jerk buried his face in my breasts and then ran. (he was in red wearing a red helmet)
This would have merited a variety of responses out of me.. all of them highly painful, and at least a few that would prevent the individual from breeding.

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
Black_Knight
WINNER OF THE GAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakon
Ah... I think I very much did not enjoy those people. The one time I said okay (first and last) the little jerk buried his face in my breasts and then ran. (he was in red wearing a red helmet)

Hmm... Red, and Red Helmet, that was most likely the Veiwitful Joe cos-player... I talked with him, he didn't seem like a bad person...

But there are a lot of good huggers out there, so don't let one bad apple ruin your bag

Besides we're talking about Otaku here, buring his face in your breasts is the closest he'll ever get to the real thing that doesn't involve him giving his credit card number...

Love is Over...

Costumes
Evangelion Unit-03 - Completed when Duke Nukem Forever is released

Last edited by Black_Knight : 05-17-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #10
Heidi
Cosplay Kitten

The signs did get kind of annoying...there was even one guy with a sign that said "screw hugs, I want sex". A bit tasteless, if you ask me.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #11
Souichiro
Wannabe IIDX DJ

I thought the signs got a bit goofy after a while. My trick to dealing with the most obnoxious kiss me/hug me people is the same I use on mall survey people: 'la la, I can't see you...'
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:44 PM   #12
effembee
IS_THAT_RYNN!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakon
Ah... I think I very much did not enjoy those people. The one time I said okay (first and last) the little jerk buried his face in my breasts and then ran. (he was in red wearing a red helmet) And then later (not hugging, but in the same gettin' ones jollies vein) a guy tried to take a photo of me and my friend when she rested her head on my shoulder. He didn't ask. He just tried to sneak a photo op. I elbowed her awake and he very audibly swore because he missed a good 'yuri' pic.

There are friendly hugs (with people I know or know through someone else) but there are two many people running around doing more than they are permitted. Hug does not mean they should try and shove their tongue down someones throat (happened to guy I know at Acen this year...)
That's awful. Seriously, taking pictures without asking? I mean...unless it's like...fansview for the masquerade, or something, but...that's really evil. I can understand where you're coming from. If I were you, I'd be really pissed off as well.

I didn't mind any of the signs, some of them were funny. I didn't come across any...'aggressive' glompers.

Who did you cosplay as?
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:46 PM   #13
effembee
IS_THAT_RYNN!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi
The signs did get kind of annoying...there was even one guy with a sign that said "screw hugs, I want sex". A bit tasteless, if you ask me.
I saw that! I was in the con suite at the time. My friend thought it was funny, though. I was just kind of like... "right..."
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:47 PM   #14
HyperrrMouse

Yah, it was WAY out of hand. One of my friends got groped, and was about to haul off and slug the jerk when she noticed cops standing around. They hadn't stopped him 'cause they hadn't seen it, but they would have likely ticketed her.

The signs were stupid, and those bearing them were annoying. I do not mind giving out hugs, but if i say no, i expect to be listened to. I am not desperate for affection, i don't like people assuming i am, and i don't want my hardwork ruined by careless individuals. those that i agreed to hug were polite, nice, and great, i really don't mind hugs, but those signs were bloody annoying.

I was annoyed at the amount of "stupid" drinkers also. One individual kept harassing a friend of mine, in sexually explicit ways. and then proceeded to follow my boyfriend around threatening him since my boyfriend had told the guy to back off. They sent at least 3 people at least to the hospital for alcohol poisoning Friday night, and that's ridiculous. I know everyone is supposed to be having fun, but when people start harassing others and pickign fights, and needing to be hospitalized, that's too much drinking. Sorry, to be off topic, but the sign annoyed me, and i felt this lead into it a bit.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:49 PM   #15
effembee
IS_THAT_RYNN!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperrrMouse
Yah, it was WAY out of hand. One of my friends got groped, and was about to haul off and slug the jerk when she noticed cops standing around. They hadn't stopped him 'cause they hadn't seen it, but they would have likely ticketed her.

The signs were stupid, and those bearing them were annoying. I do not mind giving out hugs, but if i say no, i expect to be listened to. I am not desperate for affection, i don't like people assuming i am, and i don't want my hardwork ruined by careless individuals. those that i agreed to hug were polite, nice, and great, i really don't mind hugs, but those signs were bloody annoying.

I was annoyed at the amount of "stupid" drinkers also. One individual kept harassing a friend of mine, in sexually explicit ways. and then proceeded to follow my boyfriend around threatening him since my boyfriend had told the guy to back off. They sent at least 3 people at least to the hospital for alcohol poisoning Friday night, and that's ridiculous. I know everyone is supposed to be having fun, but when people start harassing others and pickign fights, and needing to be hospitalized, that's too much drinking. Sorry, to be off topic, but the sign annoyed me, and i felt this lead into it a bit.
Yep, I agree. It seems as though this year was a lot more...scary. O.o
Closed Thread