Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 07-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Vortex_Sigma
Vantique

Question Steampunk Little Red Riding Hood

After figuring out that I wouldn't be able to use a certain cosplay for a contest (( It has to be at least 50% hand-made )), I turned my head to the very interesting world of Steampunk...And I have decided to apply it to Little Red Riding Hood.
I have got a corset I'll be attaching new bits to (( It is breaking from too many uses )) I have a fancy, frilly blouse I'll wear under the corset, I also have a hood that I will be attaching gears and other fun stuff to.

But the parts I'm not certain with are the shoes and my legs.
There is a skirt attached to the corset that goes down 2 inches from my crotch, and I want to wear something else under that. Should I use a skirt, or maybe some tights?
I'll also be using wolf symbolism, maybe carry around a plush wolf I have.

I'm really new to the world of Steampunk, and I'm very exited to make it!

Last edited by Vortex_Sigma : 07-22-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: I felt it needed some
Vortex_Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Fairy tales are fun to steampunk, and Red Riding Hood could be a lot of fun. That said, let's get to answering some of your questions and concerns.

First, don't stick cogs and gears and other bits to places that they wouldn't be used. You don't want them to be non-functioning because they can just look silly. Gears and things like that belong on accessories such as weapons or things that could be able to function using the gears to make them move or work.

For your legs, I would actually do something like riding pants, like people who ride horses wear. They are fitted and would go under your skirt really nicely. I would maybe attempt to make the skirt bustle some if you can (since I don't know what it looks like I can't say for certain). For shoes, wear either Victorian boots or even riding boots. Either would work for the costume.

As for the wolf symbolism, a plush might work, as long as it doesn't look too childlike. I did a costume for someone that we dubbed "Little Dead Riding Hood" and I made her a wolf tail that she wore on her hip like she had killed the wolf. So you could actually use some faux fur to make a tail or even a wolf pelt part for the cape if you wanted.

But just remember, biggest key to steampunk is that everything should look intentional, not like an afterthought where you went "Oh crap! This is steampunk. Let's stick gears, goggles, and brass all over it." That will just cheapen the look and make some who are serious about the genre think you weren't serious when you made the costume (though don't let elitists get to you either...there are both ends of the spectrum...).
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Vortex_Sigma
Vantique

I plan for it to be more of a steamworks worker, so I won't attach gears to my body, I could just use them as props in pictures and on my gun.
The wolf plush I do have could be turned into a robot-dog or something, maybe a clockwork beast I made for the heck of it.
The wolf tail idea is great, I'll do that!
What's a thing I could do with my hair? It's dark brown and shoulder-length, should I put it up or keep it down? I could make a hairclip with gears or something, that might look cool...I know that goes against the 'Don't put gears random places' thing, but who wouldn't make something out of little tiny things they have laying around their steamworks?

I'll make sure to get pics the moment it's done!
Unread 07-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Roo17
Mummy Gnu

I look forward to seeing how you get on .... I'm planning on making a steampunked lady plague doctor OC cosplay at some point next year, and I'm also at the stage of wondering how best to do that without just throwing cogs at everything

Re: the masquerade you are looking to enter - be aware that the 50% handmade usually refers to items made from scratch or substantially altered, so you'll need to make sure that you do as much as you can from raw materials as your clothes items are already ready made, by the sound of things (unless they are garments you made previously, in which case ignore me )
Unread 07-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex_Sigma View Post
I plan for it to be more of a steamworks worker, so I won't attach gears to my body, I could just use them as props in pictures and on my gun.
The wolf plush I do have could be turned into a robot-dog or something, maybe a clockwork beast I made for the heck of it.
The wolf tail idea is great, I'll do that!
What's a thing I could do with my hair? It's dark brown and shoulder-length, should I put it up or keep it down? I could make a hairclip with gears or something, that might look cool...I know that goes against the 'Don't put gears random places' thing, but who wouldn't make something out of little tiny things they have laying around their steamworks?

I'll make sure to get pics the moment it's done!
I use gears on a steampunk costume of mine that is a wind-up doll. I make it so it's like she repairs herself, so the gears are there for her to use. So, yeah, posing and using them as props is a great idea.

I also love the idea of making a steam powered pet. It could look really cool and gives you so many options to play with.

Since you are planning on making her a worker, I would suggest going with the hair at least half up or all the way up. You wouldn't want the hair to get in the way of the job or get caught in the gears and things you work with. And little details like gears on a hair clip won't be so bad. It's not like you are just sewing them all over your costume or something.
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Vortex_Sigma
Vantique

One more thing, is it better to use cardboard, cardstock, or foam for gears and other mechanical things?
They will be mostly attached to my gun, but what is the easiest to paint and glue to Nerf gun plastic and fabric?
Any help would be nice, thanks for all I've gotten so far
Unread 07-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Why not just hit up Hobby Lobby or Michael's for gears and bobbles? They sell a lot of that kind of stuff...the ones for my doll were in scrapbooking stuff. Steampunk is becoming so popular that you are pretty much able to find everything you need without making anything from scratch.

If you do want to make your own, I would use craft foam because it has some depth, and then you can gesso it and paint it. I would use something like E6000 to attach everything. It adheres to pretty much anything.