Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-24-2004, 12:03 AM   #1
red-Otaku
Shino For President

Haori/hakama/kimono commission?

Hi all! I was looking to see if there are any costume makers out there that I could set up a commission with for at LEAST a Haori. I need it in the teal color with white jagged trim like the Haoris in the pic below. Depending on price I would also like to find someone to do the short Kimono and hakama to complete the outfit. Thanks guys and gals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shinsengumi.jpg (15.3 KB, 26 views)
red-Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

PM me or catch me on aim. My sn Megumibish =D
Unread 05-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #3
red-Otaku
Shino For President

Thanks, I'll PM you in just a min. Also does anyone know a place I could get the patterns without ordering them? Please let me know, if I go through ordering them I might just buy them from someplace or something.
Unread 05-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
ShatteredSunset
The Triad

I just got a pattern from simplicity hat has a Haori, a kimono, and an obi pattern.
Unread 05-25-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
red-Otaku
Shino For President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredSunset
I just got a pattern from simplicity hat has a Haori, a kimono, and an obi pattern.
Can you give me the name/number of the pattern? And has anyone found a Hakama pattern from a simplicity type pattern? Or will I just have to order a pair online, cheaper that way.
Unread 05-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
ShatteredSunset
The Triad

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-Otaku
Can you give me the name/number of the pattern? And has anyone found a Hakama pattern from a simplicity type pattern? Or will I just have to order a pair online, cheaper that way.
For the Hakama... it's a good buy if you're into martial arts or want to be hardcore about cosplaying. Otherwise, I'm sure if you do a search on the forum you'll come up with something.

The pattern is 5839 ^^ Good luck.
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:04 PM   #7
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

There's no simplicty or other major pattern for hakama, just the ones from folkwear/round earth. You can find some online, however. Sarcasm-hime has some on her site; if you search 'hakama pattern' in google, you should get quite a few hits. I have some webpages stored on the other computer. The Roundearth/folkwear pattern, while fairly authentic, apparently sounds very confusing to use.

That simplicity pattern is also a bit confusing. Make sure you have someone who has sewn before to help you with it. It's also not authentic, but looks more so than their other 'costume' kimono. Be aware, though, that mens sleeves are different than womens, so you'd probably have to alter it a bit.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 01:54 AM   #8
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I've recently found an SCA site that has excellent patterns for hakama: http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Ja...es/japmake.htm

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #9
Katachi
Hypercats.net

I went to Ragstock and picked up an awesome haori coat to take apart and make a pattern from. Check Ragstock. I gave mine to my buddy at www.animetailors.com and he should have Shinsengumi haori coats for sale soon :P :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-Otaku
Hi all! I was looking to see if there are any costume makers out there that I could set up a commission with for at LEAST a Haori. I need it in the teal color with white jagged trim like the Haoris in the pic below. Depending on price I would also like to find someone to do the short Kimono and hakama to complete the outfit. Thanks guys and gals!
Katachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
red-Otaku
Shino For President

nice! thanks for all the info guys The kimono doesn't need to ge that authentic, just look Ok under my Haori. As for the Haori I found a great guy on ebay that sells them, 100% positive feedback too It looks nice and lightweight, with the white trim on sleeves and bottom, and some japanese calligraphy on the back and front collar. only $30 too plus like $18 for overseas priority insured shipping I would really like to find some hakama off of ebay for less than $50 a pair though, lol. And I plan on using this cosplay costume MUCH more in the future, like a recurring thing at almost all the cons I go to.

...::edit:: Crap I use alot of smileys
Unread 05-29-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Well, when you think about it, spending 100$ on a costume isn't that bad... there are people who spend at least half of that on a pair of jeans sometimes (myself included, because that's just how expensive jeans are - at least in CDN funds). If it's something you are going to wear a lot, then why not spend the money and make it worth it?

Unread 05-31-2004, 12:28 AM   #12
R1KKu

Since this is on the topic of my question....

Im planning on making a few costumes that require a pair of hakama for each one. Ive looked over both the Folkwear and This pattern, and its really confusing me to the point where Ive lost my mind. o.O It looks so easy, but so confusing at the same time. First, is there a difference between women's and men's hakamas? I'm a female who will be crossplaying a few male characters, and would like to know if its no big deal that I make either one. Also, are there any special pattern sizes I should go by, so that the hakama fit properly? Thanks a bunch.
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2004, 01:44 AM   #13
megumibish

As far as I know it there are 3 types of hakama. The one you linked, men's riding hakama(like Kenshin's with an angled split on the side that shows the kimono and the formal hakama that is basically skirt with huge crisp pleats on the front. Difference for male and female I can't say. Though I have seen riding hakama worn by real shinto priestess'. As for what to make, just go by what you see in your charas outfit.

Lastly given hakama are loose garments just add 6-8 inches more to your regular measurements as a way to figure length.
Unread 05-31-2004, 01:59 AM   #14
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Um... good question. I'll ask my kimono teacher on Wednesday. I don't know if there is a difference, other than that I thought I read somewhere that women's hakama don't have that panel in the back (small of the back).

But megumibish is right...some hakama are really skirts, with no crotch seam, such as the ones worn for tea ceremonies (and other ceremonies, I assume). Others have *very* low crotch seams (like the ones worn by officials at sumo matches - it's about 6 inches up the inseam, and that's it).

From what I can tell, though, is that hakama don't touch the ground - so wouldn't adding 6-8 inches make them far too long? Maybe it depends on the style?

Unread 05-31-2004, 03:09 AM   #15
megumibish

Lol, I meant width of fabric from side to side. hehe. Teaches me not to post soo late at night. =P bleh that part of geometry eluded me for a second.