Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
pyrosam
APPLE JUICE NOTHING MORE!

Halo Armor

I'm hoping to do a master chief for mega-con which is about a year away... but I dont know exactly what to use... Its gonna take a long time and I was hoping for some tips... like how do people do gundam armor cuz I could do about the same thing but with halo... and does anyone know how to actually make a assault rifle or battle rifle.... maybe even a pistol... this is gonna be a really big project and any help would be appreciated ^_^

Unread 05-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
pyrosam

ok I found www.nightmarearmor.com but their stuff is way to pricy.... please does anyone know anything....
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

i do a lot with gundam armor cosplay but halo is little different. Get a cheap airsoft/ paintball helm, you will need to mod it by adding plastic to make it a full helm. to bend plastic you need to melt( plastic vapor is harmful so use a respirator) small torch would work best. Also get airsoft/paintball clothes and plate them with plastic for body armor.

then spray paint, primer on the armor and helm then spary paint metal paint, then clear coat. good luck, hope this helps
avskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
Katachi
Hypercats.net

Yeah I think I saw a couple pics of you in full Gundam armour on the Fansview site a while ago. Pretty amazing stuff. That's the level of armour I'm working on doing, only with sculpted resin plates and mostly Bubblegum Crisis hardsuits... or this: http://www.animeshrine.com/gallery.p...es=mikaakitaka

There is no "put 3 cardboard boxes together and it looks EXACLTY like armour" way to make HALO armour. Your best bet is to get a lot of refrence pics, and do something like the Bio Armour
http://www.bioweapons.com/index3.htm
it's gonna take some money and skill and a lot of time.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avskull
i do a lot with gundam armor cosplay but halo is little different. Get a cheap airsoft/ paintball helm, you will need to mod it by adding plastic to make it a full helm. to bend plastic you need to melt( plastic vapor is harmful so use a respirator) small torch would work best. Also get airsoft/paintball clothes and plate them with plastic for body armor.

then spray paint, primer on the armor and helm then spary paint metal paint, then clear coat. good luck, hope this helps
Katachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katachi
There is no "put 3 cardboard boxes together and it looks EXACLTY like armour"
maybe not a costume but give me 3 cardboard boxes and Iíll make a house, gauge and dog house.

by the way how do i get "sculpted resin plates", and how do i use them and what do they look like. you got me very intersted. please tell me more
Unread 05-27-2004, 12:15 AM   #6
Katachi
Hypercats.net

The only thing I make out of cardboard boxes is kitty condos :P and Tabbytown, but that's another story...

You don't get sculpted resin plates, you make em.

I just made a Phantasy Star Online Humar shoulder amour piece this way and I'm LOVING the technique. I sculpted my piece, put about 15 layers of liquid latex on (took 3 days...), put a thick plaster mother mold over that and then when that dries you can peel them both off.

Now the nice thing about the latex mold is that you can get undercuts and cast more circular pieces since it's flexible. I basically did about 290-300 degrees of a circular casting, umm... yeah, still don't know how to explain it.. the shape of the armour was amost completely round and the latex peels off and you can make round resin armour pieces since the latex stretches so much.

So anyway, I had my latex mold and the plaster mother mold, I mixed up some resin, and I poured a little bit into the latex mold and turned it so it would touch all the surface of the latex mold. Then I kept turning the mold until the resin cured. I did this about 3 times to get several layers of resin built up. The resin piece was IDENTICAL to my original sculpt. Acutally, now that I think about it, I have a pic here:
http://webpages.charter.net/katachi/p_pso.htm
That's a resin cast piece with some bondo and a couple layers of sandable primer. It doesn't look identical to the one in the PSO artwork because I used different ref material and EVERY *#$(*%& PIC has a different drawing/representation of what the artist thought the HUMAR should look like...

Oh, and I probably woudn't do this for Gundam armour, your best bet with that is 3mm sintra and a vacuform table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avskull
maybe not a costume but give me 3 cardboard boxes and Iíll make a house, gauge and dog house.

by the way how do i get "sculpted resin plates", and how do i use them and what do they look like. you got me very intersted. please tell me more
Unread 05-27-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

is its latex in a plaster mold?...
Unread 05-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #8
pyrosam

thanx you guys have been alot of help... but wear can I get someone that works with plastic or how can I learn and get the tools?? and what type of resin?? fiberglass resin?
Unread 05-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
Katachi
Hypercats.net

Well either way it's going to be pricey. You could commission some one to make it for you, but HALO armour would cost AT LEAST $400 for someone to make for you... Under $1000 if you're lucky, but definately no less than $400.

If you did it yourself, assuming you didn't make any mistakes, you could probably do it for less than half that. But it's still going to be around 200 and a lot of work. Quality doesn't come as cheap as cardboard boxes. Or you could just use cardboard boxes and have armour that looks like it was made out of cardboard.

www.smooth-on.com has the best resins and urethanes. I use smooth cast 300 for my resin props.

Do you have any pics of the guns? I can help you find a cheap way to make those if I had pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosam
thanx you guys have been alot of help... but wear can I get someone that works with plastic or how can I learn and get the tools?? and what type of resin?? fiberglass resin?
Unread 05-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #10
pyrosam

their are some pics on www.nightmarearmor.com but I have one of their pics... of the rocket launcher I'm going to put it in my gallery....

I do have a fake *pellet gun* that Im going to use for the MC's lazer pistol.... also I have about 1000 christmas lights for lighting up things *helmet, barrel of gun, etc.* and IM supposed to go and get some foam and fiberglass sometime soon with my good old dad.... so I should start getting some things posted on progress... I need lots of reference pics... and I think I might buy the helmet from nightmare armor.... cuz that'll be one of the hardet parts.... Im thinking of putting snap clips on to it so I could just slip into it *clip on clip off* or clip it on and not take forever.... I'll try to hurry a lil so I can get some pics...

Last edited by pyrosam : 05-27-2004 at 03:50 PM. Reason: left out details
pyrosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
pyrosam

I think I'll look into the paint ball thing too... I have a bunch of freinds that play... maybe one will sell me some old armor for cheap....
Unread 05-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
Katachi
Hypercats.net

Don't use pellet guns or paintball guns if you're planning on wearing this stuff to a con. It's against con and hotel rules, and possibly city laws depending on where you're at.

But if you're looking to modify existing armour, look at football, paintball, bmx, soccer, and hockey and you should find enough to piece a suit together

Quote:
I think I'll look into the paint ball thing too... I have a bunch of freinds that play... maybe one will sell me some old armor for cheap....

Last edited by Katachi : 05-27-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #13
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

pyrosam you can message me if you need advice, on what to do with the airsoft helm and suit. If you can get the armor and helm for cheap then you already save a lot of money. ^.^

Last edited by avskull : 05-27-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #14
pyrosam

thanks avskull ^_^

katachi- Im pretty sure they'll allow modifyed paintball armor.... and the pistol thing is plastic and will probably have hot glue in the tube for the con so I can use it.... but thanx you gave me an Idea with the football armor... dont you buy it peice by peice?? I could sculpt some thing off of it like a cast type of thing... I"ll try and get some pics up real soon...
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #15
Katachi
Hypercats.net

Yep. That's a good idea. Take some existing protective gear and change it to look more like Halo armour and then cast it and make resin armour. 2 gallons should cover making all the armour and www.smooth-on.com has some 1:1 mix ratio stuff for like 40 bucks I think.

Quote:
thanks avskull ^_^

katachi- Im pretty sure they'll allow modifyed paintball armor.... and the pistol thing is plastic and will probably have hot glue in the tube for the con so I can use it.... but thanx you gave me an Idea with the football armor... dont you buy it peice by peice?? I could sculpt some thing off of it like a cast type of thing... I"ll try and get some pics up real soon...