Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 01-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Progress report 2016

Surely I am not the only one working on things.

I am maybe 25% done the scaling on my scalemaille gyarados. Nearly 2500 scales into it and about 4500 jump rings used. I need to order maybe another 1000 gold scales, 2000 blue scales and maybe another 9000 jump rings. Good thing The Ring Lord is fast when shipping orders. The dang thing is already 10 pounds. And it is aluminum I am using...

Need to also order worbla. Never used the stuff so I do not know how much I need. There is lots of time to figure that out. Has anyone here worked with it?

Having difficulties uploading progress pictures....

Anyone else in construction mode?

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2016, 03:41 AM   #2
KuroiAisu

I am pretty much continuing my cosplays from last year since there is a return of a Legend of Dragoon group this year. So armored Lloyd is getting done. And the Selvan that was pushed back a couple years due to a worbla allergy is finally getting finished in wonderflex. For obvious reasons I am not fond of worbla, in addition to finding it really fragile. People seem to love it but it does not work the way I like.

My Selvan cosplay is almost done except for the armor pieces. The undersuit, tabards, badge and chainmaille are all done. All materials for Lloyd, Bruno Buccelatti and Sticky Fingers I've had for a year and are ready to go. All accessories are complete, all things are patterened and Sticky Fingers is like 90% done.

I swear this will be my first year I won't procrastinate and cram in an entire cosplay a week before the con.
Fan Expo '15: Selvan (Radiant Historia), Gilgamesh (FFIX)
Mtac '16: Kiel (Radiant Historia), Raul (Radiant Historia)
AN 2016: Divine Dragoon Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon), Kuja (FFIX), Kiros (FFVIII)
Costume con '17: Sauron (Lotr)
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

This week I finally sew together my Tali bodysuit. I only finally got my custom fabric the week before I had to leave for Xmas holidays, so all I've managed so far is to cut things out (and, I got a new sewing machine too! Even better) And I also need to finish the last coat of painting and sealing on the lower-arm thingies. This month I'll get the main suit finished, those lower arm pieces finished, the belt/pouches ready to make (maybe even done! Depends on how my hunt for buckles goes) and figure out how the hell to make the boots. And hopefully order my purple swirl fabric by mid-month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Thanks to our lovely dollar, my wallet is taking a kicking. Ordered another order of scales and jump rings. Ouch. Not much more I can do at this point until they come in. Might work on some sort of trident thing.

"Captain Canada"

Unread 01-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Thanks to our lovely dollar, my wallet is taking a kicking. Ordered another order of scales and jump rings. Ouch. Not much more I can do at this point until they come in. Might work on some sort of trident thing.
I know, eh? That's why it took me a month longer than it should have to get that fabric. And I still need to buy the electronics for the helmet, but at least it won't be TOO expensive if I can't order from either a Canadian site or actual stores.
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 01-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Exactly. The Ring Lord is a Canadian company (they were based in Saskatoon), and the prices were still higher. I am not pleased, but what can you do... It is already started. Much luck finding decent prices.

"Captain Canada"

Unread 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #7
KuroiAisu

I feel you guys on the dollar. It's killing me ><

I just ordered my cosplay make up. I normally don't wear any unless I am doing body paint or prosthetics (tbh I don't now how to do "normal things") but I am in the mood to go all out this year.
Fan Expo '15: Selvan (Radiant Historia), Gilgamesh (FFIX)
Mtac '16: Kiel (Radiant Historia), Raul (Radiant Historia)
AN 2016: Divine Dragoon Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon), Kuja (FFIX), Kiros (FFVIII)
Costume con '17: Sauron (Lotr)
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiAisu View Post
I feel you guys on the dollar. It's killing me ><

I just ordered my cosplay make up. I normally don't wear any unless I am doing body paint or prosthetics (tbh I don't now how to do "normal things") but I am in the mood to go all out this year.
Me too! It must be the leap year... I have already mentioned to my brother that if he wants anything made, request it well in advance as mine will eat up a lot of time. He already wants a sword.... I think.... He also mentioned re-making some Auron pieces... Didn't actually say anything... but yea... he wants everything perfect...

Currently on a "time out" due to a repetitive strain injury thanks to the chainmailling. Saw that my order has been shipped today (awesome). Now have to wrap my brain on how to make a helmet, bracers and trident(s). Any tips anyone? Shinobi you seem to know a lot about props and such?

"Captain Canada"

Unread 01-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Currently on a "time out" due to a repetitive strain injury thanks to the chainmailling. Saw that my order has been shipped today (awesome). Now have to wrap my brain on how to make a helmet, bracers and trident(s). Any tips anyone? Shinobi you seem to know a lot about props and such?
'Fraid my boyfriend handles most of my weapon props and I haven't done much non-leather armour (And we're making my first helmet together, soon), so I'm not very much help. But what do the bracers look like? If they're supposed to look leathery or fabric-based I can definitely help. Otherwise, we do have the prop and accessory subforum on here, they're very, very helpful.

...on my end, progress on the suit at last! I ought to have it all finished in another two working days (which since I only have about one day a week to work on her, means in two weeks). There's a LOT of pieces and I have to pre-stitch the piping in before I run it through my serger due to the crazy curves, so it eats up a ton of extra time. But yesterday I got the sleeve seams sewn, the piping attached to all but one part of the torso and the regular, non-piped pieces sewn together, and the legs are half done. And I spent an extra hour cutting out new hex-print because I neglected to consider matching the print in the front first time and it looked awful :P (I'm using a pretty heavily modified version of that Yaya bodysuit pattern, since it was too much of a pain to draft my own princess seams and then mod it some more, and the biggest downside with this costume is that the pattern has several separate front chest/stomach pieces that aren't very friendly to patterned fabric or where you want it plain and unseamed in front). And my arm thingies are done! My room smells like mod podge, bleck.
Quote:
Unread 01-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
'Fraid my boyfriend handles most of my weapon props and I haven't done much non-leather armour (And we're making my first helmet together, soon), so I'm not very much help. But what do the bracers look like? If they're supposed to look leathery or fabric-based I can definitely help. Otherwise, we do have the prop and accessory subforum on here, they're very, very helpful.
Ahhh darn. I have been researching/asking around and still do not have a clue how to make tridents. Joys.

As for the bracers, I am going to be a crazy person and scalemaille them as well. By my calculations I should have enough blue scales to do so... I think... If not I will surely have enough gold scales. Or might just do gold to break up the blue. Who knows.

Started a helmet! I took pop can boxes and cut them into strips to form a helmet. It is also half coated in duct tape... I like duct tape. I am proud of it, even though I am just forming things. I think it looks like Gyarados. I have looked into something called craycrete I believe. It is like paper mache but stronger. That is my tomorrow project if I can find the stuff.

"Captain Canada"

Unread 01-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Geckomon

Quote:
Any tips anyone? Shinobi you seem to know a lot about props and such?
Well, my friend had to make a trident for Mera and she used thin PVC piping. Like what you would get at a home repair stores? One tall piece, a four-way fitting and two 90 degree fittings and then used like clay and such to sculpt the points before she painted it. It might be something to look into c: It is all relatively cheap price wise and it was super light weight. Plus since she used the fittings she was able to take it apart for travel which was really nice.

Upcoming Conventions:
Ohayocon UBCon
Anime North Otakuthon (Possible)

Future Projects:
Yang (RWBY) Sesshomaru (Inuyasha) Mulan
Princess Daisy (Mario) Bulma (Dragon Ball)

Last edited by Geckomon : 01-06-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Geckomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

^Yeah, PVC isn't a bad way to go. I, though, have never used the stuff- my boyfriend makes my fairly few weapon props because he's lucky enough to have access to a pretty elaborate woodworking shop (his dad builds string instruments as a side job) and thus he can easily make almost everything out of wood for himself and me. We have the classic cosplaying couple arrangement; I sew and wig and makeup, he props and armours. And carries my stuff because he doesn't like elaborate costumes. :P
Quote:
Unread 01-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
And carries my stuff because he doesn't like elaborate costumes. :P
I call that a pack mule haha. My brother is the same way.

As for progress, my ring order came in... sweet.

Started covering my helmet in claycrete. It is taking forever to dry, and the dry parts I am covering with wood glue to hopefully strengthen it. Might need to do another layer, it is hard to tell. The texture... well it is pulp so it is bumpy. That is ok because I am covering the helmet in scales.

"Captain Canada"

Unread 01-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #14
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
I call that a pack mule haha. My brother is the same way.

As for progress, my ring order came in... sweet.

Started covering my helmet in claycrete. It is taking forever to dry, and the dry parts I am covering with wood glue to hopefully strengthen it. Might need to do another layer, it is hard to tell. The texture... well it is pulp so it is bumpy. That is ok because I am covering the helmet in scales.
Yep, he's my pack mule (and my helper when I work artist alleys). But he'll sometimes cosplay with me if his outfit isn't too involved. He doesn't like wigs or heavy makeup, or really restricting outfits (last year when I was cosplaying Twilight Sparkle he dressed as Spike in a hat and tail and purple shirt I made him to match, while he hauled my nominoichi suitcase and several people thought it was funny, and when I cosplay Motoko Kusanagi he cosplays as Batou, since he's got the natural hair and a surprisingly perfect regular jacket for it).
Quote:
Unread 01-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #15
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Yep, he's my pack mule (and my helper when I work artist alleys). But he'll sometimes cosplay with me if his outfit isn't too involved. He doesn't like wigs or heavy makeup, or really restricting outfits (last year when I was cosplaying Twilight Sparkle he dressed as Spike in a hat and tail and purple shirt I made him to match, while he hauled my nominoichi suitcase and several people thought it was funny, and when I cosplay Motoko Kusanagi he cosplays as Batou, since he's got the natural hair and a surprisingly perfect regular jacket for it).
Pack mules are essential.

The scales are looking awesome. The dang thing already weighs 12 pounds (I weighed it on a scale haha). It is going to weigh another 12 when I am done with it. If anyone has seen DBZ it's weighted training gear.

Is it too early to be stupid excited about AN?

"Captain Canada"