Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 04-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #61
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

My helmet is finally starting to look like a helmet, and tomorrow, time to keep making my brain go "Owwwww! Stoooop!" as I keep trying to draft and mock these ridiculous boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #62
hangyaku

I'm going as Super Sailor Mercury this year :O

So far I have the body suit/leotard almost complete, just have to add the sleeve rolls/puffs. After that, it's time for the skirt and the collar. It's only my second time ever making a cosplay completely from scratch, so I am terrified XD;;

~Anime North 2017~
Keith - Voltron: Legendary Defender
Katsuhira Agata - Kiznaiver
hangyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #63
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I finally found a use for the stuid free baseball cap I've had for three years! I sacrificed it for a stable base for my Tali helmet. Simple headbands just weren't working, but this worked like a charm.
Also, tomorrow I make my final boots. My mockups went REALLY well and quicker than I thought. Feeling pretty optimistic about both competing with this (I just don't know if I should enter in Journeyman or Artisan... think I need to pose that question to the masquerade subforum here) AND having everything done on time.
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 04-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #64
xshedevilx
- Kami -

I've got a few bits to tweak on Wonder Woman before I can finish weathering the vinyl piece on it and sealing it away (which would make it complete FINALLY).

I've bought the fabric to make Deedlit's belt, frog, and straps. As well I've finally sanded and started prepping the armour for paint. I've got to re-form it a bit now since it has sat for so long without proper form but I'm confident I will get a lot of it fixed up this weekend!

Fingers crossed we all get through the next month without MASSIVE errors!

2018 Cosplays:
Super Sonico (White Unicorn)
Overwatch - Widowmaker (Talon)
Pocahontas (Disney)
Starcraft - Kerrigan (De-zerged)
Game of Thrones - Ygritte
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Aloy (variant tbd)
xshedevilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #65
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

One more day and the boots will be done! I'll need to put off Artist alley restock (not exactly a problem, I don't have another one until October after Ad-Astra next weekend) to make sure I finish on time but now, I'm almost out of the panic room.
Quote:
Unread 04-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #66
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Going to try and finish everything by the weekend. I have washed the chainmaille yet again, and it will need another washing. But it is getting better.

Started planning for next year... how pathetic does that sound?

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #67
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Going to try and finish everything by the weekend. I have washed the chainmaille yet again, and it will need another washing. But it is getting better.

Started planning for next year... how pathetic does that sound?
Already planned for my 2017 year even longer ago, so not at all. CostumeCon's next year, and I plan those out years in advance since "absolutely massive elaborate and expensive" is the only way I cosplay at that one. (and so I also start around a year in advance)
Quote:
Unread 04-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #68
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Both bracers are near complete. Who would have thought that silicone is a great adhesive to attach chainmaille to fabric? I was having issues of the chainmaille sliding off my arm, so there are 3 bands of velcro holding it on my arm. One problem solved!

I have ordered metal clips from The Ring Lord as they will do a better job holding the sides of the dress together (and I can do them up myself). Just need to wait until they come in and then I think I will be finished. What a sigh of relief!

Shinobi: I may have to attend this CostumeCon. The history aspect both intrigues and interests me. My "Captain Canada" I am planing for next year would fit perfectly into the theme (and for AN too). So that means... More chainmaille!!!

"Captain Canada"

Unread 04-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #69
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If you love crafting, you will LOVE Costume-Con. I had a fantastic time at it. My costume for the next one in TO is Anastasia's end-of-movie princess gown. I plan to start gathering the patterns and such in May and I've been researching for months. Actual work, starts the Tuesday after AN. I'll have roughly 11 months to make a corset mockup, final corset, petticoat, sash, dress mockup, the ridiculously beaded gown after the mockup, find jewellery and shoes, make a rhinestone-covered kokoshnik, and style a wig. Annnnd if I feel crazy enough, free-motion a brocade pattern into my duchesse satin to go with my beading.
...while running my artist alley business, costume commissions, moving to Guelph, possibly taking on another part-time job in the fall AND a couple other costumes of my own. That''s why I start so early.
Quote:

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 04-24-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Unread 04-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #70
xshedevilx
- Kami -

I've also been looking at Costume-Con, not sure what to make just yet though. Might go full armour....hmm.

Wonder Woman is FINISHED!!!! Besides a wig test and minor tweaking to the corset. Likely going to change the lacing as well to something more ribbony and easy to work with.

I managed to add my straps and snaps to Deedlit's armour (YAY) and I've started sealing it before paint (a small round of bumps to work out). I also made her belts and frog (sword) and finished her arm and leg wraps (need a bit more rope for right arm). More sealing tonight, shaping the shoulder pauldrons, and adding D rings to the shoulders tonight to secure the pauldrons.

2018 Cosplays:
Super Sonico (White Unicorn)
Overwatch - Widowmaker (Talon)
Pocahontas (Disney)
Starcraft - Kerrigan (De-zerged)
Game of Thrones - Ygritte
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Aloy (variant tbd)
xshedevilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #71
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshedevilx View Post
I've also been looking at Costume-Con, not sure what to make just yet though. Might go full armour....hmm.

Wonder Woman is FINISHED!!!! Besides a wig test and minor tweaking to the corset. Likely going to change the lacing as well to something more ribbony and easy to work with.

I managed to add my straps and snaps to Deedlit's armour (YAY) and I've started sealing it before paint (a small round of bumps to work out). I also made her belts and frog (sword) and finished her arm and leg wraps (need a bit more rope for right arm). More sealing tonight, shaping the shoulder pauldrons, and adding D rings to the shoulders tonight to secure the pauldrons.
You can I can be Costume-con newcomers! I think I know what I want to do... Just figuring out how to do it...

Got pictures of the Wonder Woman?!

"Captain Canada"

Unread 04-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #72
hangyaku

Fuku base is almost done. Last night I was trying to adjust it and thought I had completely mangled the top half beyond repair, so I went out today to buy more fabric. When I got home my stubbornness got the better of me and I decided to try fixing it one more time and by some miracle it worked. I have a ton of extra fabric now, but at least I'm safe if I do end up actually mangling anything else.

I'm hoping to have the fuku base totally complete by the end of this week, and then its on to skirts and bows~

~Anime North 2017~
Keith - Voltron: Legendary Defender
Katsuhira Agata - Kiznaiver
hangyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #73
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

We've hit a miscommunication snag with getting the helmet visor done, but, my bf programmed the voice-activated blinking-light LED today! Here's a video of it in action (but not in the helmet yet) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-L...YyQXB0c00/view
Quote:
Unread 04-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #74
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Wasn't able to get the video to work

Going to wash the chainmaille yet again tonight and hopefully no more black. I am happy with the bracers and maybe I will make a pokeball something for a bag.

"Captain Canada"

Unread 04-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #75
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-L...ew?usp=sharing

Try that. I love google drive for collaborating, bloody hate it for public sharing....
Quote: