Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Unread 01-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

March Toronto Comicon

Anyone here going? I've got an Artist's alley table and I'm certainly hoping to make good sales this year since the con is so bloody expensive to vend at :P (The facebook for my AA; https://www.facebook.com/WhimsicalSquidCo/ ). And I'm cosplaying as Nelvana of the Northern Lights on Saturday and my N7-hoodie outfit Commander Shepard on the other two days (super excited for Nelvana!).

Also, I'm making this post partly because as an AA vendor, I'm trying to save a little money on my overhead and am looking for a roommate or two for our hotel room! It would be shared with myself (26, female) and my boyfriend (also 26) for Friday and Saturday nights at the Hyatt Regency, not cramming, so don't worry about bed space, I'll book the two double beds option. Main requirements are that you be at least 18, pay your share upfront (The exact total will depend on if I get one or two extra people but it would be between $100-$120 for both nights per person), be either a couple (any sex) or single girl(s), and as we work artist alley we need to be in bed and up at fairly early hours, so late-night party types need not apply. Send me a PM here or via the facebook page if you're interested/want more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

I might be going to help out a vendor. If so I think we would be commuting everyday. I'll probably bring a pokemon something. I know nothing about this con.

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I didn't get to experience much beyond my AA table last year, but its a very guest-heavy con with not much emphasis on panels, and while there's plenty of cosplay, no formal contests or such. The dealers room/AA is huge but a lot of artists don't do great sales at this one (combo of really expensive tables and people usually come for guests or free from a fanexpo pass, so not much shopping money. If I don't do WAY better than last year, where I made back a little under half my expenses, I'm not coming back again. :P)
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 01-24-2016, 01:38 AM   #4
musicalcats
Mars Fire Ignite

I'll probably be going on the Sunday, which is the best day for me, since it's a chill day & no heavy crowds. I'll be cosplaying either Elsa (Frozen) or Pizzazz (Jem & The Holograms 80's cartoon).
Esmeraude (Sailor Moon) (Sunday)
My cosplay page:
musicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Well, Hyatt regency is out of two-bed rooms, so looks like no extra roomies after all.
Quote:
Unread 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
emm_gee

I'm going as well, I've also got an Artist Alley table. I'll be commuting from home in Ajax to save money since everything ends relatively early so i can't really help with room cost.
I'm working on a LoZ cosplay for the symphony that weekend and I'll most likely wear Nurse Joy again
emm_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm_gee View Post
I'm going as well, I've also got an Artist Alley table. I'll be commuting from home in Ajax to save money since everything ends relatively early so i can't really help with room cost.
I'm working on a LoZ cosplay for the symphony that weekend and I'll most likely wear Nurse Joy again
I considered commuting from my place way up in North York too, but the walk, bus, then subway and then walk AGAIN takes WAY too long for me and I have a bunch of extremely inconsiderate roommates who keep me from ever getting to bed early on weekends. So I'll just hope I do a heck of a lot better this year than last. And good luck to you too! What are you selling? It'll probably be my last time AAing at it with how much they keep charging for tables despite lackluster buyers. :P
Quote:
Unread 02-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
emm_gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I considered commuting from my place way up in North York too, but the walk, bus, then subway and then walk AGAIN takes WAY too long for me and I have a bunch of extremely inconsiderate roommates who keep me from ever getting to bed early on weekends. So I'll just hope I do a heck of a lot better this year than last. And good luck to you too! What are you selling? It'll probably be my last time AAing at it with how much they keep charging for tables despite lackluster buyers. :P
Yeah it does take a long time. I sold at December comicon last year and had to commute from the Dufferin and Eglinton area, it was brutal carrying all that stuff and everyone just looks at you like you're crazy.
I'm mostly selling prints and a few simple watercolor paintings. What about you? Yeah hopefully you do well! Buyers do seem a bit stingy at the December show
Unread 02-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Oh, opposite for me. I did FANTASTICALLY in the December one (and was able to borrow a car to cut my commute time in half that day), best of all the cons I did that year (so that one I'll certainly do again), but all my table neighbors at MTCC also said sales at it are lackluster and most weren't coming back after last year. I'm selling embroidered wall hangings, hats, plushies and dice bags (my deviant art and facebook are in my signature). And I'm alllmost done restocking my stuff. I'll be all ready by March.
Quote:
Unread 02-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

When is this con? Depending on the date I may not be able to go.

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
When is this con? Depending on the date I may not be able to go.
March 18 to 20th.
Quote:
Unread 02-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Not sure if I will do all days, but I will be there Sat and Sun for sure running the Plushie Workshop again.

This thread actually reminded me I should get my butt in gear and think up a new project for this.

I'll be re-wearing something old - I'm way too lazy in the winter months to sew something new. Either bring back Tsukasa (Hack/sign) or Kiyko (Inu Yasha)...at least my resting bitch face will be on point
BLOG - LINK
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
emm_gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Oh, opposite for me. I did FANTASTICALLY in the December one (and was able to borrow a car to cut my commute time in half that day), best of all the cons I did that year (so that one I'll certainly do again), but all my table neighbors at MTCC also said sales at it are lackluster and most weren't coming back after last year. I'm selling embroidered wall hangings, hats, plushies and dice bags (my deviant art and facebook are in my signature). And I'm alllmost done restocking my stuff. I'll be all ready by March.
oh okay cool, that's great as long as i break even i'm happy, i'm fairly new to selling at conventions
Unread 02-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #14
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm_gee View Post
oh okay cool, that's great as long as i break even i'm happy, i'm fairly new to selling at conventions
This one'll be my one-year anniversary, and the first con selling at twice in a row because of that. Hopefully I can walk away not in the hole.
Quote:
Unread 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #15
bossbot
bossbot

I'll be going!

YETICON 2017

Thursday: Ariel (Mermaid Tail)
Friday (AM): Pyrrha Nikos
Friday (PM): Secret Cosplay
Saturday: Noctis Lucis Caelum
Saturday Pool Party: Erza Scarlet (Legend Bikini)
Sunday: Elsa (Frozen Fever)

OTAKUTHON 2017
Friday: Azura or Pyrrha Nikos
Saturday: Erza Scarlet (GMG Day Five)
Sunday: Tifa Lockhart (FFVII:AC)
bossbot is offline   Reply With Quote