Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 03-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
NATHDAPUNK

First photoshoot

Hey all,

On the weekend just been, me and a friend I live with decided to go into a nearby park and do a cosplay photoshoot, mainly so I could get experience and practice putting into practice all that I've learnt recently.

Just wondering if I could have some feedback on the following photos?

https://www.facebook.com/darkstormco...type=3&theater

Unread 03-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

You seem like you've got a handle on the importance of trying to get varying perspectives. I like how you got low in that first shot-- it makes it feel more action-y, like I'm actually about to watch the start of a Pokemon battle, because I'm on level with the subject. You do something similar with the second shot, and it works. Keep doing that!

A lot of your photos try to create a sense of motion, and you're starting to get the idea, but composition will help take that to the next level. The third one is the best of the three at doing this successfully-- your subject is looking/aiming to the left, and there's space for the onlooker's eyes to follow it. Your subject also happens to be looking/moving to the left side of the frame in the other two shots, so by positioning them more to the right, you improve your line of action. (See the "anticipate your subject's actions" bit on this page).

Speaking of composition, you've got some photos that are decent, but would be really improved by just zooming out a little-- particularly the first and third shots. The Rule of Thirds comes in handy here, and by adding a little more space above the model's head/under their feet, you can better position them to fit those grid lines. (Adding more space also helps prevent unintentionally cutting parts of the model off-- you lose a bit of the tip of the ear in the third photo, and part of the hands/shoes in the first as a result of this. Of these three, that's part of the reason the second is my favorite-- you get all the parts in a dynamic pose).

Just to quickly touch on lighting-- make sure your subject's face isn't in shadow! This is really only an issue in the third photo, where your subject is more silhouetted, and you lose all of the detail of the costume to a somewhat blown-out background. I'm guessing your subject was backlit by the sun here, so just rotate around to the other side of your subject and shoot from there to avoid the issue.

This is also totally a personal preference, but your watermark is really large, and I find it kind of distracting. That can be helped with smart placement-- in a bunch of these, you cover parts of the model/costume with the watermark, which takes away from the model's work some.

Apologies for writing a small novel, but hopefully this is helpful!
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

The first shot has a good, low-to-the-ground pose, but the angle makes him seem like his body is very short, like his right arm is growing out of his hip. A side angle on getting in closer with a wide lens would help make the torso look longer, but would also make the head look rather big. The flash you used was set a bit strong, taking out some shadows that would have given more shape to your subject. This flash made his jaw blend in with his neck. Try setting the flash about half a stop to one stop below your over-all exposure. I also recommend you frame him to the left side, to he has more in front of him than behind him. Tilt the camera down to show the feet, and reduce the unnecessary amount of room above his head.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8a&oe=5791C003

The second photo has a better angle to show the torso. The action pose is over-all nice, but it seems like he is holding still. Having one foot off the ground might have helped, but I also recommend trying having him balance on one arm, while kicking both feet in the air, for real motion. Just have your shutter speed at 1/250th or faster, and it should look clear. Again, frame him with more room in front, than behind him.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...13&oe=574C22B1

The third image also looks like a frozen pose, trying to look like movement. Rather than have him flat-footed, try to have him lift his heel up, and balance on the front part of his foot (ball of foot), while lifting up his back leg. If you can't get a natural look, try having him run for real. Set your camera on multi frame, clicking off 3 or 5 images per second, etc. 1/500th shutter speed or a bit faster, should be fine. You could try slower shutter speeds while panning the camera with him, to make the trees become motion-blurred streaks. For that effect, try shutter speeds between 1/15 to 1/60th. Just make sure you pan your camera at the same speed he is running, or he will become a blur too. Shooting into the shadow side of the face can be fine. Expose for the shadow side, or about 1 stop down, and make sure you don't have a bright sky behind him, otherwise the sky will just be white with no blue or cloud detail. Make the darker trees become most of the background, but choose wisely, so the background does not look too busy and distracting.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e2&oe=5791B1EB

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-24-2016 at 11:25 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Rushmoore

Nice!
Rushmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #5
ocmphoto111
@ocmphoto111

Definitely liked the low Angeles shots. Would have loved to have seen more of those
ocmphoto111 is offline   Reply With Quote