Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 04-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Little.pixel

How to create a public photoshoot?

Hello! I'm trying to create a public photoshoot for Otakon 2016, but I've never coordinated one. I see the places to put up the information of a photoshoot, but how do you figure out the photographers? Do photographers just show up? If someone coordinates it, are they the person who calls out to change pose/next group/etc.?
Id just like a step by step guide hahaha.
Thanks!

Little.Pixel @Instagram
Indecisus Cosplay @Facebook
Indecisus @Deviantart

Little.pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
skuggi

Ok, so Otakon can get a bit crazy, you post up your photoshoot and they put it on the guidebook schedule. Since they've been doing it this way it's a bit more than just the photographers showing up and you'll get a ton of just fans with cell's taking pictures.

Now the trick comes into organization with your group and the people you get to show up. Have a list ready of what groups you want up and a time limit for poses (Most especially if it's a big group) and I've seen some successful shoots where they will do a pose then ask people who were up front and got their shot to move back and keep a line going through the photographers as well.

This will also depend on which shoot location your hoping to use as they can get really chaotic.

One other big tip, no matter what location you pick, if it's outdoors don't face your cosplayers into the sun if you can avoid it

Other than that, yup photographers will show up based on interest of the group or just who's interested in that fandom. Even if something comes up and you have to move the shoot (Happened in prior years with the league shoot for example) most of the regulars get word spread around pretty quick.

Oh yea if you haven't looked at it yet. https://www.otakon.com/cosplay_coordination.asp

Last edited by skuggi : 04-17-2016 at 05:40 PM.
skuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
DanArt

Just run around the place and start making poses. Somebody will start shooting. This is what I prefer to do as I am in different locations with all kinds of people.

If your doing this at conventions. Remember there are three kind of guests. People who are paying for the event, people who are outside and not in the event. People who are usually part of the event ( illustrators, actors, writers, crew, etc ).

I see somebody said facebook. But remember not everybody is a facebook person. Therefore your cutting out some people who otherwise would have appear or known about your event. There are a variety of places to post your event.

Do not draw too much attention because the next problem will be sponsored content. You do not want to be apart of that at all. Then we are going to start a new issue.

Last edited by DanArt : 12-03-2016 at 10:30 AM.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Are you trying to make a public group photoshoot for cosplayers all from the same anime/game/genre?

As a photographer, I've run a few in the past, ranging from small (5-6 cosplayers) to enormous (250+ cosplayers). Here are some tips, in no particular order:

* One person (exactly one) should be the director, organizer, coordinator, whatever you want to call it. If the group is large enough, an assistant (or two or three) are great, but only ONE person should be doing the directing. If you have two or three or ten people barking orders, it'll fall apart fast.
-- Usually the director is the lead photographer, sometimes not. It's a little harder for the director to be one of the cosplayers/models, since it's hard to pose and give directions at the same time.

* If there's a "master" list of group photoshoots for your con, first review that list to make sure there's not already a shoot for the group you want to organize, then look for a good time and location, then get your event on the list.
-- For DragonCon, there's a huge Google spreadsheet maintained by a single person who generously volunteers her time every year. This list is not officially sanctioned by the con, but most of the shoot organizers know how to play nice together and share space and times without bickering.
-- Pick a location that's suitable for a group of your size. If you only have six people, don't try to take over a location that's normally used for groups of a hundred.
-- If you're not using one of the "standard" locations for group shoots at your con, make sure to pick a location that works: Don't block other con attendees in a high-traffic area, don't trample the landscaping, etc.

* Make a Facebook event for your group shoot. Make sure it's public. Put all the relevant details (time, location, directions to the location, expected schedule) in the description and/or a pinned post. Share it on groups/pages and other places where it'll be seen by people who are interested. Sure, not everyone uses Facebook, but most people who do cosplay photoshoots do, or will be hanging out with someone who does.
-- A facebook event also makes it easy to share and find photos after the event.

* Plan out your groups/poses and sub-groups, make a list of the sub-groups you want, and arrange them in an order that makes sense. However, don't try to put every possible combination of characters and poses on the list; any more than 8 or 10 sub-groups and people will start to lose interest. I like to put the big full-group shot first.
-- Once people are in place for each shot, run through a few different poses. I like to do a standard pose with everyone facing the camera, one "weapons up" shot, one "weapons out" shot, and one silly-faces shot.
-- When directing, remind cosplayers to be aware of their fellow cosplayers when changing poses - especially, when moving their weapons, don't klonk the people who are standing next to them.
-- After each shot, the director or lead photographer should make sure other photographers are done shooting before asking for the next pose.

* If you don't have a lead photographer, put out a "casting call" of sorts. Ask on the official con facebook page, and any other relevant avenues of communication. Ask other people who are attending your group shoot if they know of a photographer who might be interested. If you're getting close to the event date and nobody has responded, offer payment.
-- For my latest big shoot (Fallout at DragonCon which had over 250 cosplayers), I was lead photographer, I had one official assistant photographer to do half the sub-groups, we had a few people who were doing individual posed photos, and there were a throng of unofficial photographers. And a zillion onlookers, handlers, friends.

* If your group is going to be large, bring a megaphone.

* If security or con staff shows up, be polite. They might just be fans who are observing. If they ask you to move or disperse, politely asking "Okay, we're almost done, can we just get a few more shots in" will almost always work.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 11-28-2016 at 11:51 AM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote