Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 07-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #61
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

I come with progress on this Halamshiral coat. All it lacks are buttons.

We had to make a template for the decorative stitches, and then I had to free stitch them on my machine. NOT FUN.

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #62
Sugar.Code
D'Arvit!

Ahhh, that looks so good! You even got those shoulder pad thingies perfect! And I hear you on machine satin stitch embroidery, I only had to do straight lines on my project and it was easily one of the most awful things I've had to do for cosplay yet, I couldn't imagine how hard it was doing all those curves so nicely!
Sugar.Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #63
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar.Code View Post
Ahhh, that looks so good! You even got those shoulder pad thingies perfect! And I hear you on machine satin stitch embroidery, I only had to do straight lines on my project and it was easily one of the most awful things I've had to do for cosplay yet, I couldn't imagine how hard it was doing all those curves so nicely!
Thanks! The epaulets are made of deer skin. We stressed and stressed over the shape for weeks before getting it right.

The satin stitch around curves was just a matter of taking it slow and getting a little creative. My partner made a template for the shape, and I drew it in tailors chalk and THEN stitched a guiding baste stitch to follow with the satin. It was a process.

I've started working on a Hawke inspired dress to go with the Halamshiral coats I'm making for an upcoming semi formal ball at a convention. Here's hoping it works out!

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #64
Swiftstart

Late, but here's my Cole

http://swiftstart.deviantart.com/gal...124282/cosplay
more can be seen there
warning for those who want to cospaly him: that hat does stuff with sound. it's hard to explain but i was deaf to everything near me but could hear everything far away. made pax a little overwhelming. (altough it is terribly ironic for his character)
Unread 08-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #65
Lindiranae
Inquisitor

I'm still getting photos back from last weekend's Manchester MCM but I adore this shot of my Lavellan

Photo credit to Mark Evans (www.facebook.com/max.mace.7)

I had a mini-shoot with a lovely tog after the con, too, so I'm eagerly waiting to see the pictures. I expect this was Lavellan's last convention for a while, as I need to have Mahariel finished by THIS SUNDAY for a little convention at my workplace, then for a photoshoot at a castle next weekend. I expect I will probably be spending every spare second this week either battering my new sewing machine or crying over how many stupid pyramid studs I have to fit to my jacket
Lindiranae Emerald Knight armor Design & prep

My planned projects:
Commander Shepard
Dovahkiin: Nightingale armor
Lindiranae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #66
belligerent
Viking Metal

almost died at otakon but here's how this turned out, minus a piece or two I need to finish:

belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #67
Lindiranae
Inquisitor

Oh, wow! Belligerent, that looks incredible!

My planned projects:
Commander Shepard
Unread 09-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #68
TunaSpleen
Special with an "O"

I finally finished Meredith's sword Certainty today, now I just need to finish the entire rest of the costume because I am a masochist for BioWare:

TunaSpleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #69
Sugar.Code
D'Arvit!

You look awesome Belligerent! I love the gauntlets, they're intimidating o.o

And TunaSpleen, great job on the sword! Can I ask a few questions on your construction process? I'm brainstorming a male version of Meredith for my brother and that huge hole in her sword has me completely stumped. ^^;;
Unread 09-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #70
Lindiranae
Inquisitor

TunaSpleen, that looks awesome! Really nice work

I didn't manage to get Mahariel sorted out in time for the con at work, so I took Lavellan instead (still waiting on pictures from that one) but I was fortunate enough to go as Mahariel to a mass Dragon Age outing to Warwick Castle in mid-August. We had about twenty characters, significant others, photographers and a videographer so it was a manic but fantastic day. We've had a few BTS shots back but we're all excitedly waiting for the official photos and video.

I also managed to get out over the bank holiday weekend for some photos on the moors before I put Mahariel away for a while. I've only got one more event this year - Birmingham MCM in November, which I'm planning to put a casual femShep together for.

My Warden-Commander is going to get a few updates - After two days out, my breastplate is looking a bit battered and has torn slightly, so I'm going to have a go at covering it in Worbla before it's so badly damaged that I need to start from scratch, and the paint is absolutely refusing to stay on the scales, so I've decided to bite the bullet and see if I can still remember how to make real maille after more than a decade. My hands won't thank me but it will look more authentic I've been borrowing my Inquisitor's gauntlets because they're fingerless and I wanted to show off my Grey Warden nail wraps, so version 2.0 will have more fitted, full-finger gloves instead.

If anyone is interested, my Grey Warden nail wraps were designed by Amber the Nail Geek.

My planned projects:
Commander Shepard
Unread 09-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #71
TunaSpleen
Special with an "O"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar.Code View Post
And TunaSpleen, great job on the sword! Can I ask a few questions on your construction process? I'm brainstorming a male version of Meredith for my brother and that huge hole in her sword has me completely stumped. ^^;;
Ask away! I'm an open book. The sword's made out of rigid insulation foam and paper mache with a PVC pipe grip, if I had to do it again I'd make the large hole just a little bit smaller so the sides could be thicker, I've got bamboo skewers in there reinforcing it but I like to err on the side of sturdier.
Unread 09-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #72
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
that huge hole in her sword has me completely stumped. ^^;;
the thing i'd be worried about is reinforcement at those points. making it in as few pieces as possible and maybe building the hole around a slice of large diameter pvc pipe on the inside (cut flush to the rest of the blade) might help with that?

the sword i made has a hollow section and i ended up using plexiglass to stabilize it but there are other ways I could have done it. if i did it again, i would use one piece of plexiglass between two sheets of mdf and not the other way around.
Unread 09-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #73
TunaSpleen
Special with an "O"

It's just like belligerent said, two sheets of foam and some overlap with the PVC pipe (and a big plug of hot glue). This was taken before I added the paper mache:

If you hold the hilt and wiggle it, the blade will wobble slightly, but obviously the sword's meant to be wielded in large, sweeping movements and it stays perfectly rigid for that. A friend of mine tried to make her own version of Certainty out of EVA foam following a tutorial for a Rose Quartz sword, and her poor thing was so fluid it practically looked like it was melting with each motion so she had to put a slice of plywood in between EVA foam sheets. Another upside to paper mache is how easy it is to paint!
Unread 09-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #74
Sugar.Code
D'Arvit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
the thing i'd be worried about is reinforcement at those points. making it in as few pieces as possible and maybe building the hole around a slice of large diameter pvc pipe on the inside (cut flush to the rest of the blade) might help with that?

the sword i made has a hollow section and i ended up using plexiglass to stabilize it but there are other ways I could have done it. if i did it again, i would use one piece of plexiglass between two sheets of mdf and not the other way around.
So if I'm understanding the first bit correctly, I'd get a piece of large pvc pipe and have that run the length of the blade, but cut holes in it where they're needed for the design so it's still fairly structurally sound? Would flattening out the pipe a little help so it fits the shape of the blade a little better? Sorry if I'm not getting it, I have trouble picturing things sometimes. ^^;;

Ooh, plexiglass and mdf, I like this idea. I wonder if I could made the handle out of the same piece of mdf so it's all in one piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaSpleen View Post
It's just like belligerent said, two sheets of foam and some overlap with the PVC pipe (and a big plug of hot glue). This was taken before I added the paper mache:

(cut)

If you hold the hilt and wiggle it, the blade will wobble slightly, but obviously the sword's meant to be wielded in large, sweeping movements and it stays perfectly rigid for that. A friend of mine tried to make her own version of Certainty out of EVA foam following a tutorial for a Rose Quartz sword, and her poor thing was so fluid it practically looked like it was melting with each motion so she had to put a slice of plywood in between EVA foam sheets. Another upside to paper mache is how easy it is to paint!
Yay, I love wip pictures So what foam did you use? The giant sheet type kind? And did you cover that directly with paper mache or is that worbla I see on there? Also, what did you sculpt her lovely screaming head pommel from? It looks really good ^^

Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 09-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #75
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'm at work right now but can draw you a diagram later since I'm an artist and can explain better what I mean that way.

[edit] went ahead and did it at work. This is how I would probably make the core for stability but idk if it's necessary. I just don't trust myself not to break a prop unless it's heavily reinforced.

Last edited by belligerent : 09-09-2016 at 11:31 AM.