Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #31
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

You bought an ~~AUTHENTIC JAPAN JAPANESE CHINESE ASIAN SAMURAI NINJA KATANA SWORD~~~ off ebay, that doesn't mean you have the slightest idea how to use it or any training in response to an active shooter situation...
I'm very suspicious of anyone with fantasies of being the "good guy with a gun" or, in this case, the "good guy with two sharpened katanas that are only ziptied in and can be easily broken" who takes down the shooter and saves everyone and probably gets, like, girls wanting to have sex to thank him, yeah...
'Sides, if the zipties can be that easily broken, your swords aren't adequately peacetied and you shouldn't be taking them to conventions, and I highly doubt a slab of foamcore done up to look like a ridiculous sword from a video game is going to make a shooter think twice.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr

Last edited by KuruttaKanashii : 07-05-2016 at 04:17 PM.
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #32
D3adp00lFanb0y

Actually i am trained in the use of them, and i got them in Japan. And we have a yearly 8 hour class where i work that is completely focused on active shooter situations. Anything that can be used to stop the shooter, the shooter will see as a threat. And there is just too much that can be used against him/her at a convention. This is why they stick to malls, airports, and in recent events, nightclubs. This has nothing to do with fantasies. If i can see that i can prevent harm to others, I'm going to try my best to put a stop to what's happening. However, if it could in anyway cause further harm to others, then I will either be running or hiding. Can't help how Con Patrol peace ties them.
D3adp00lFanb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #33
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Hate to say it Deadpool, as someone doing kendo for over a decade, unless those swords of you're are $1000 plus each they ain't real. Sure they may be sharp, but a few whacks and they will shatter. See all those movies where people are clanging swords together? You know what you're actually supposed to do in real life? NOT clang your swords together. They'll chip and break.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15, '16
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #34
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn dp u hard

u a hard hard man

bet thats why youve never been anywhere near a live attack sitch

they see u rollin and they roll straight the other way nope nope no shooterin 2day
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #35
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn dp u hard

u a hard hard man

bet thats why youve never been anywhere near a live attack sitch

they see u rollin and they roll straight the other way nope nope no shooterin 2day
Did I tell you how much I loved you? I can't snark so I allow the masters to step forward.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15, '16
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #36
D3adp00lFanb0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by division-ten View Post
Hate to say it Deadpool, as someone doing kendo for over a decade, unless those swords of you're are $1000 plus each they ain't real. Sure they may be sharp, but a few whacks and they will shatter. See all those movies where people are clanging swords together? You know what you're actually supposed to do in real life? NOT clang your swords together. They'll chip and break.
The ones that I use for my cons were only $250 apiece. But I do have a 2700 dollar pair.

Last edited by D3adp00lFanb0y : 07-05-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Unread 07-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #37
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

Unread 07-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #38
D3adp00lFanb0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

Iím a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!
That's awesome! I usually visit twice a year, sometimes more, sometimes less. I absolutely love it there, may consider moving once I finish my Master's in Petroleum Engineering
Unread 07-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #39
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

top kek
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #40
belligerent
Viking Metal

When you were partying I studied The Blade.

When you were having premarital sex I mastered the BLOCK CHAIN.

While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity I cultivated Strength.

And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help?

Last edited by belligerent : 07-06-2016 at 12:21 AM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #41
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

honestly if we look at "target potentail"

a cosplay event is likely to have a large percent of people
that have a hero complex, also the relative small amount of public interest
mean itd be more fruitless than the boston marathon bombing

also, no disrespect to victims and families,
but shootings and bomings as terrorizm, is no more terror inducing
than a flaming bag of shite at your front door

and honestly i think if it werent disrespectful to victims/family
we'd all rofl copter in the faces of these so called "terrorists"
and theyd be to ashamed of thier failure to do anything about it

terrorism only works when politicion and news media piss thier pants
and fake outrage, and waste our tax money on stupid inconveinances
like the TSA to assuage the media induced public fears

disclaimer* im not an expert, i simply add in my "2 cents" having a second opinion is always a safe bet
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #42
Jacky_theNerd
Cranky Costumer Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
honestly if we look at "target potentail"

a cosplay event is likely to have a large percent of people
that have a hero complex, also the relative small amount of public interest
mean itd be more fruitless than the boston marathon bombing

also, no disrespect to victims and families,
but shootings and bomings as terrorizm, is no more terror inducing
than a flaming bag of shite at your front door

and honestly i think if it werent disrespectful to victims/family
we'd all rofl copter in the faces of these so called "terrorists"
and theyd be to ashamed of thier failure to do anything about it

terrorism only works when politicion and news media piss thier pants
and fake outrage, and waste our tax money on stupid inconveinances
like the TSA to assuage the media induced public fears
I typically stay away from stuff like this because I dislike getting involved, but now I am because some of this stuff is insipid to me.

First point: I think it's pretty disrespectful to compare someone burning dog shit on a person's front and people who want to cause physical injury and death to others. Seriously. Someone setting crap on fire is a minor inconvenience at best, fire hazard at worst. All right? All right.

Someone making a IED or discharging a rifle in public with the intent to cause harm IS NOT ON THE SAME SCALE AS AN ADAM SANDLER PRANK!! IT'S FAR FUCKING WORSE!!!! Wiping and cleaning dog shit off my shoes is a minor inconvenience. I deal with it. I move on.

Seeing people become life-alteringly injured and/or die is way worse. It's more than just; "Oh, the person next to me got shot. I guess I better wash the blood off my clothes." NO!!! It's more than that. People deal with mental and emotional trauma from these events. Not for days, or weeks, or even months. But for years and possibly for the rest of their lives. The friends and relatives of people who are targets of violence also have to deal with consequences, with the most immediate of them being once they catch wind of said events is; "Is my loved one safe?"

News media reports on it because people need to know about events, especially ones which present public interest. Politicians--believe it or not--are people too, and they can and do feel bad when people are harmed. That's why we react as a society and take measures to try to make the world a little better and a little safer.

I'm not sure what the ultimate end goal of each case of terrorism or mass-shootings, but I do know that people get harmed and people die, and then people get scared and they get concerned. That's something I just don't have an answer to. However, comparing a prank to people getting hurt--like, real people suffering real, possibly life-altering harm--is disrespectful.

ALSO EQUALLY IMPORTANT!! We moved away from the original topic and the crux of the question about bag checks and security at conventions. The event that sparked the question was the Pulse shooting in Orlando, Florida. The targeted people were in the LGBT community. Guess what community has a lot of LGBT people, and hell, people that are a bit different period? The cosplay community. Besides, the question isn't just about convention safety, but public safety as a whole. But, let's keep the original question in the scope of conventions.

My answer to the original question, which is "Is it time for general bag/purse checks at conventions?" My answer: maybe not. Conventions can be logistical nightmares. Lines are long. People want to get in and have fun. That being said, conventions also need to be safe places. It's why we have prop checks and safety ties. You know, we don't want someone purposefully or accidentally shooting a plastic airsoft BB and taking little Rosie's eye out. Also, the safety checks function kind of as a bag check to make sure no one is bringing in real guns or knives. In light of recent events, I don't have any real answers. I just have opinions and my own personal reasoning.

What I do know is this. The general public has a right to feel safe and be protected from harm. That's why we have laws about food, construction, sanitation, and weapons. That right to feel safe and be safe from harm is why we have police officers and fire departments. In spite of all of these precautions, people will still get hurt, either on accident or by malicious intent of some mean mother fucker with nothing better to do. In light of this reality, we as individuals and as a society have a responsibility to try to make life a little better, and a little safer in the process.

And honestly: comparing a prank seen in fucking Billy Madison to real events where people get injured and die is just bad form.

Jacky the Nerd's Blog (WordPress) All of my main content goes here.
Facebook Probably the easiest way to follow me.
Tumblr
Jacky_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #43
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

As is using a real-life event where real people were murdered to brag about how tough you are and that if anything like that happened near you you'd take the shooter down with your katanas.

Unread 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #44
D3adp00lFanb0y

In no way did i brag about how "tough" i was. Nor did i say anything about using my katanas, I simply stated that i was carrying around a potential threat to someone. The only reason my training with them was brought up is because you brought it up. All I was trying to say is that there are too many unknowns at an event like this for a potential mass shooter. I'm sorry if it came across as disrespectful or as bragging. I also realize, in light of Jacky's reply, that i never answered the original question. I personally do not thing it is a good idea for bag/purse checks at conventions.
Unread 07-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #45
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

in responce to Jacky theNerd,

by no means did i intend to minimalize, or infer that such events
are equal to a prank

but to infer that in the grand scheme of things, the shoot/bombings
that we refer to as terrorism, that inspire public conversations
such as this topic
are in relative terms, "small potatoes" in contrast to the truly terrifying
things that could be perpetrated on a supermassive scale, with less difficulty

and i know its imoprtant for media to report on, and for politicions to react
but imo, i believe that theres more
"media telling us that we are afraid (as a nation)"
than people genuinly in fear due to events
(cause in general individuals have a "those things dont happen [ ]" mentality
so its ludicris to imply that the "nation" as a whole anything)

then politicians respond in those false reguards, rather than to
affect the base issue,
somthing happens and a politicain says "we will not back down" or "we will stand together" type speach
when in actuality we need them to acknowlege the issues of
disenfranchisement, and mental health issues

as of now, mental health care is coupled with drug abuse and rehab
both are important and independant issues and need to be treated as such

when you go to a doctor and try to explain your issues
they should not hand you a pamphlet for anget managment, suicide hotline
and alchoholoic anomynous

what i meant, and shouldve tried to say in the first place

we dont need inspections, what we need is for society (and public officials)
to acknowlege, and recognise, and adress the REAL issues
the ACT, no mater how disturbing, is not the issue
the real issue, is the person behind it

again, i apologise for my terrible phrasing, and never intend to make light of
or offend anyone
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote