Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Rahzel
steal back your future.

Magic tricks suggestions?? (Tamako Market)

Hi!

I'm currently working on a Tamako cosplay. I was planning on doing something similar to the opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbSqSYsTeU with lots of colors and movements.
I was thinking of making origami stars and buying some candy to throw into the air, a party popper, and I'm also planning on sewing or maybe buying a Dera plushie so as to take it out of the hat. I was also thinking of making staff assistants move magazines and such, and of course I'm going to practice baton juggling as well. However, I wish I could do something more entertaining, such as a magic trick.
I plan on presenting this at a con first but I want to show it to kids later. Here in my town there's a project to visit orphaned and homeless kids and entertain them through cosplay. I'm part of it so I'd like to participate as Tamako, so it'd be great if I could work a fun magic trick.

So basically, I wanted to know if any of you already know of some good and quick magic/illusionism tricks to be presented in a skit.

Thanks in advance!
Rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Fellow magician here!

That really depends on how much work you want to do in terms of putting together a trick, what kind of setup the stage will have, and how long you have to perform. Card tricks might not be great if you've got a large audience or aren't mic'd for explanation, and huge stage transformations might be too hard to set up, so you're best off sticking to the simpler tricks that can still be flashy.

Cup & ball tricks, scarf tricks (eg having it appear from your hand/elsewhere), the cutting string + putting it back together trick... making stuff float in mid-air can also be really fun, and pretty simple!

I'd also head to your local library-- chances are there are some "beginning magic" books out there in the How-To section, and even just flipping through those can give you a ton of ideas!
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
Rahzel
steal back your future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Fellow magician here!

That really depends on how much work you want to do in terms of putting together a trick, what kind of setup the stage will have, and how long you have to perform. Card tricks might not be great if you've got a large audience or aren't mic'd for explanation, and huge stage transformations might be too hard to set up, so you're best off sticking to the simpler tricks that can still be flashy.

Cup & ball tricks, scarf tricks (eg having it appear from your hand/elsewhere), the cutting string + putting it back together trick... making stuff float in mid-air can also be really fun, and pretty simple!

I'd also head to your local library-- chances are there are some "beginning magic" books out there in the How-To section, and even just flipping through those can give you a ton of ideas!
Oh yay! Hey there! (Although I can't claim to be a magician! I learned some tricks back when I was younger but that's all...)

Ohhh, scarf tricks do sound great!! I happen to have a big rainbow scarf that would work very well, and I may have a pretty big audience since I'm planning on performing in a mid-large con, so something that big and showy would probably work well!

I don't know how to make stuff float, but I'll take a look! If I manage to learn how to do it, I think it would indeed be very entertaining and go along well with the theme I want to replicate.

Thank you so much for these ideas!! I'll definitely see if I can find a beginner magic book and I'll share if I see something else interesting! I love seeing things like magic incorporated into shows so I hope more people can pick up on this idea!
Unread 07-15-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Any time! And lol I'm definitely amateur, but with at least a few shows under my belt I hope I'm being useful.

I would also DEFINITELY keep in mind the setup of your stage when selecting tricks. A lot of tricks require a flat surface to set things on, so you may need a folding table, and that'll have to be brought on/whisked off stage really quickly (and if it's a masquerade you'll probably have to carry it on yourself). Smaller props or lightweight props are probably best, unless you can cleverly move things on/off with no problem (like maybe wrapping everything in a tablecloth that eventually gets thrown on your table? That works so long as things don't have to be pre-set before your audience sees it!)

The transitions are so so so important in suspending belief, so take your time practicing those!

I'd also avoid stuff that can get messy-- confetti (unless it's REALLY controlled), water, fire (which is probably banned at most performances anyways...) are all things that are probably best to avoid.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Rahzel
steal back your future.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Any time! And lol I'm definitely amateur, but with at least a few shows under my belt I hope I'm being useful.

I would also DEFINITELY keep in mind the setup of your stage when selecting tricks. A lot of tricks require a flat surface to set things on, so you may need a folding table, and that'll have to be brought on/whisked off stage really quickly (and if it's a masquerade you'll probably have to carry it on yourself). Smaller props or lightweight props are probably best, unless you can cleverly move things on/off with no problem (like maybe wrapping everything in a tablecloth that eventually gets thrown on your table? That works so long as things don't have to be pre-set before your audience sees it!)

The transitions are so so so important in suspending belief, so take your time practicing those!

I'd also avoid stuff that can get messy-- confetti (unless it's REALLY controlled), water, fire (which is probably banned at most performances anyways...) are all things that are probably best to avoid.
You definitely are being helpful! And yes, I was asking precisely because I realized that most tricks I know require many instruments or complex setups to work, which is something you can't always have when presenting at a con...

As for the con I'm planning to present on, the staff there is often very helpful when it comes to setting up the stage etc, but even so bringing a folding table might be difficult for me (I may have to go by bus, so I'd just have to give it up). And it's hopeless to think of something that has to be set up before because there are no curtains on the stage. I do get to prepare some things on my body/clothes while I'm about to get on the stage, but not on the stage so that's definitely important, thank you for reminding me!

I see, thank you! I don't think I'd be allowed to use water or fire anyway, but confetti is something I do enjoy using, although I guess it IS better to pick things that you can control better in such a setting!