Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 09-04-2016, 02:54 AM   #1
LoliLovely
They Can't Fire Me I Quit

You Know You Work in Retail When...

Starting a new thread with retail workers in mind!

You know you work in retail when you start to freak out when August hits cause you know the holiday season starts VERY soon
LoliLovely is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
Respawning

Ugh, I HATED working retail. Did it for over 10 years of my life, only to discover my "real job" (banker) had to deal with all the same people. So I have a few to contribute:

You know you work retail when you learn the general public equates "customer service" with "customer serVANT".

You know you work retail when you can tell by looking at someone that they're going to insist on asking for a manager (and it's even better when you ARE the manager and they don't believe you).

You know you work retail when you discover you dread the phrase "Boxing Day".

You know you work retail when "weekends" no longer applies to you.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Ugh, I've worked at a pet shop for about six years now, and it drives me crazy in the summer when parents bring their gaggle of children into the store and treat us as a free petting zoo.
You know you're in retail when a customer talks on their cell phone during your entire interaction with them.
You know you're in retail when you hear, "you close in five minutes? Made it just in time!"
Unread 09-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
KoroKoro

You know you work retail when people think it's a good idea to complain about how high the prices are like you can do something about it.
KoroKoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

You know you work retail when November to January is the worst time of the year.
You know you work retail when you fume with jealousy over someone making anything over minimum wage and/or having any useful benefits. Or having a chair at their job. (And then proceed to yell "YOU think YOU have a reason to complain?!?!?!?" if they gripe about their day)
About six years of retail slavery here... Of the four places I worked at, only one wasn't stressful as all hell and breaking labour laws with the employees....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

When the phrase "I'll see what we can do about that" becomes essential.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
LadySmugleaf
Queen of Sarcasm

When you can fake a smile as the world crashes around you and burns to ash.
planned cosplays:
Dark Linkle from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Impa from Hyrule Warriors
Sheik from Ocarina of Time
Hyrdeigon Gajinka from Pokemon
LadySmugleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
You know you work retail when you learn the general public equates "customer service" with "customer serVANT".

You know you work retail when "weekends" no longer applies to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoroKoro View Post
You know you work retail when people think it's a good idea to complain about how high the prices are like you can do something about it.
These. These so much. Also, you know you work retail when the customers don't respect your break.

My vest is clearly off and balled up in my arm. I am walking back to the breakroom. Every other customer seems to feel the need to ask "Do you work here?" I tell them I'm sorry, but I'm on my break at the moment. Unfortunately all they seem to here is "yes, how can I help you?" because they then proceed to ask me to find this or that thing for them. At which point I just repeat "sorry, I'm on my break" and walk away. And then get cursed out or something.

And this also happens all the time before I punch in or after I've punched out for the today. The thing they don't seem to get is that it is ILLEGAL for me to work while off the clock. If I am doing any work for the company the law requires I get paid for that time, even if it only takes me 60 seconds. So if I help you while I'm on break the company can get majorly fined, and I can lose my job. And even if it would only take me 60 seconds to help you, if I keep getting stopped for 60 seconds by everyone, eventually that adds up to several minutes of my break that I'm not going to get back. And when you only get a half hour lunch you need every minute you can get, as you lose half of it just walking to and from the breakroom (stupid customers) and taking a restroom break.

Conventions attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013 & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #9
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

When people knock on your window 30 minutes after closing because of a "yarn emergency".

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Respawning

You know you work in retail when you realize just how unobservant the general public is. Example: I worked one summer at our local zoo at the ice cream bar. I don't know how many people asked me if we had hot dogs and coffee. First: it's in the name ICE CREAM BAR. Second: the menu is literally 4 inches from my face, does it SAY we have coffee or hot dogs?

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
LoliLovely
They Can't Fire Me I Quit

You know you work in retail when you hear customers say the wrong names of products. We sell raspberry limeade tea, not raspberry lemonade
LoliLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

You know you work in retail when you've gone back into the produce cooler to curse out a customer behind their back.
You know you work in retail when a toddler asks you where the Bob the Builder pasta aisle is. Yeah, kiddo, we've got a whole aisle for Bob the Builder pasta.
You know you work in retail when an old man wants to tell you the gory details about his root canal just as you're closing.
You know you work in retail when you wonder why we as a society like to reward customers for throwing a temper tantrum in the store.

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
BisectedBrioche
Selfie Queen

When you spend 10 minutes in the backstock freezer (wearing only a t-shirt) looking for something, only to find the customer who wanted it wandered off.

When you're told that stuff from the bakery won't be reduced anymore and realise you'll be the one who has to tell the customers.

When you're excited for the release of plastic notes because they'll be easier to slip into the cashbox.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%) Sheik (?)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
rockabillyretro

You know you work in retail when greeting everyone and saying ' thank you ' after ending a conversation has become something normal.
rockabillyretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
saite

When you go shopping in other clothing stores, and nicely fold clothes after you've looked at them.