Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 09-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by saite View Post
When you go shopping in other clothing stores, and nicely fold clothes after you've looked at them.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I've had employees at other clothing shops thank me for actually refolding/re-hanging/properly putting back stuff I tried on. (And vice versa, I did that a few times with customers too.) And good god did I hate it when I'd spend hours to get a display all nicely folded and/or organized, then five minutes later someone would basically storm through and throw everything anywhere into a giant mess all over again (a mess of THAT caliber only happened a few times, but uuuuuugh, I wanted to curse out that customer because cleaning up the display she promptly re-destroyed took me TWO HOURS of work).

Oh, and here's another- when there is no lower, more despicable lifeform on the planet to you than SHOPLIFTERS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #17
LadySmugleaf
Queen of Sarcasm

When you apologize for everything. Item's not in stock? "Oh, I'm sorry." Milkshake isn't the right consistency for you? "I'm sorry."

it especially sucks when you aren't at work and something goes wrong, and your first reaction is to apologize for it.
planned cosplays:
Dark Linkle from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Impa from Hyrule Warriors
Sheik from Ocarina of Time
Hyrdeigon Gajinka from Pokemon
LadySmugleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #18
LoliLovely
They Can't Fire Me I Quit

you know you work retail when your first night of being a manager the computer freezes and you call your coworker to comfort you
LoliLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #19
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaizabelCray View Post
You know you work in retail when you wonder why we as a society like to reward customers for throwing a temper tantrum in the store.
THIS. I can never comprehend this. Luckily, my boss typically stands up for her employees, but far too often she caves to jerks.
You know you work in retail when you almost answer your personal phone at home with the name of the store you work at.

Last edited by Royalbakaness : 09-08-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Royalbakaness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #20
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

When you'd rather have no customers than ones who are just browsing.

(I work at a small handmade boutique, and I make about 0-2 sales a day there. Most customers come and love to look at the merchandise and pet the dogs, but hardly anyone buys anything.)

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #21
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
You know you work in retail when you realize just how unobservant the general public is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaizabelCray View Post
You know you work in retail when you wonder why we as a society like to reward customers for throwing a temper tantrum in the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
When you spend 10 minutes looking for something, only to find the customer who wanted it wandered off..
These so much. Especially the middle one. If we punished the adults like they always want the mothers to punish their misbehaving children, my job would be a lot less stressful.

Also, you know you work retail when it's Christmas in September. I got asked to help set up Christmas trees today. It's not even Halloween yet, much less Thanksgiving!

Conventions attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013 & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016

Last edited by Chiagirl : 09-15-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #22
BisectedBrioche
Selfie Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
These so much. Especially the middle one. If we punished the adults like they always want the mothers to punish their misbehaving children, my job we be a lot less stressful.

Also, you know you work retail when it's Christmas in September. I got asked to help set up Christmas trees today. It's not even Halloween yet, much less Thanksgiving!
We've already got our entire Christmas line set up in the seasonal section. The sideboard where Halloween stuff normally goes still has "summer holiday" items.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%) Sheik (?)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
Norakun91

My favorite, when customers think it's ok to keep looking around when I just announced that the store is now closed, have locked the front door and am very obviously waiting for them to leave.

Best thing to do is I tell them the company wants us out of here at a specific time and we can't close with customers still in the building. I have still had customers stay 30 -40 minutes after we close and it's like, yes I want you to buy something but I have to get home. I got things to do. Sometimes I have to babysit my godson so his parents can go to work and you are making me late
Norakun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2016, 01:36 AM   #24
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

You know you work in retail when you realize that your company could care less about you as a person - if you're not selling those pre-orders, discount cards, credit cards, you're a horrible employee. So then, you get depressed if you don't make the "numbers."

You know you work in retail when you gotta keep an eye on your phone, on your day off in case the boss decides to try calling you into work.

You know you work in retail when you can't be away from your register for two minutes without having a customer walk right up to you ask "if anyone is going to ring them up" or just complain to you.

^ Those customer suck so much. I've gotten stopped by 2-3 customers on the way to my register and I wasn't gone too long when a lady came up to me and said "Just how long are you going to keep me waiting?" and then complained saying that she could have just gone to Walmart and gotten the book cheaper. (It was the new HP book.)
-Holiday Matsuri 2016
Cosplay List:
-Joker (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Klaus (Story of Seasons)
-Madoka (Madoka Magica)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #25
Norakun91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWonderusMary View Post
You know you work in retail when you realize that your company could care less about you as a person - if you're not selling those pre-orders, discount cards, credit cards, you're a horrible employee. So then, you get depressed if you don't make the "numbers."

You know you work in retail when you gotta keep an eye on your phone, on your day off in case the boss decides to try calling you into work.

You know you work in retail when you can't be away from your register for two minutes without having a customer walk right up to you ask "if anyone is going to ring them up" or just complain to you.

^ Those customer suck so much. I've gotten stopped by 2-3 customers on the way to my register and I wasn't gone too long when a lady came up to me and said "Just how long are you going to keep me waiting?" and then complained saying that she could have just gone to Walmart and gotten the book cheaper. (It was the new HP book.)

Oh I know the feeling. I have had that and had customers glare at me for taking a few minutes to wrap up their breakables (glasses, dishes etc) and then tell me they can't wait all day they have somewhere to be...... O.o

Seriously I don't have to wrap any items for you I can just toss them in the grass and break them but I care about you and your purchase and want you to get them home safe and unbroken.
Norakun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #26
Muffles290

Find it funny that no one has mentioned being yelled at by customers for not knowing EVERY SINGLE DEAL in the store and /every/ little detail about that deal. Like sorry lady, that's your job to read about the deals, if I want to know about them I have to find out about those things in my unpaid personal time but that's not gonna happen. People think just cause you work in a store that you know absolutely everything about it and the company as if it's your entire life.
Muffles290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #27
IcyMoffatt

I've been working in retail for the last 13 years (3 stores in 2 differents companies). I can list a lot of «You know you work in retail when...»:

- customers use fitting rooms as a toilet.
- customers are surprised that we are closing the store earlier on Christmas' and New Year's eves
- people don't know how to read prices and discounts.
- you're dreaming about your job while sleeping.
- upset customers think they're saying the ultimate insult when they say they will never come back and always go to another store (but they keep coming back).
- lazy people want you to shop for them while they have you on the phone.
- customers tell you it's your job to clean their mess behind them.
- customers recognize you from past jobs in retail.
- people ask you if you're working here while you're wearing the store uniform with a big logo.
- people keep saying they saw the product in our store when they are wrong most of the time.

and the list goes on...
IcyMoffatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #28
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffles290 View Post
Find it funny that no one has mentioned being yelled at by customers for not knowing EVERY SINGLE DEAL in the store and /every/ little detail about that deal. Like sorry lady, that's your job to read about the deals, if I want to know about them I have to find out about those things in my unpaid personal time but that's not gonna happen. People think just cause you work in a store that you know absolutely everything about it and the company as if it's your entire life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMoffatt View Post
- upset customers think they're saying the ultimate insult when they say they will never come back and always go to another store (but they keep coming back).
These. I'm a cashier, that means I'm kept up at the register all day so I don't actually know the layout of the store very well. Best I can do is send you to the right department, from there your on your own. If you want to know where to find something or whether we even carry it ask a SALES ASSOCIATE they're the ones stocking the shelves everyday and so will have a much better idea than I do. And I wish all the people that threatened to never shop here actually did. It'd be one less jerk I'd have to deal with each day.

Conventions attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Unread 12-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #29
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMoffatt View Post
I've been working in retail for the last 13 years (3 stores in 2 differents companies). I can list a lot of «You know you work in retail when...»:

- customers use fitting rooms as a toilet.
- customers are surprised that we are closing the store earlier on Christmas' and New Year's eves
- people don't know how to read prices and discounts.
- you're dreaming about your job while sleeping.
- lazy people want you to shop for them while they have you on the phone.
- customers tell you it's your job to clean their mess behind them.
- customers recognize you from past jobs in retail.
- people ask you if you're working here while you're wearing the store uniform with a big logo.
- people keep saying they saw the product in our store when they are wrong most of the time.

and the list goes on...
I've THANKFULLY never had the first one happen (also, much of my retail experience was in jewellery and gift shops, so, no fitting rooms anyway), but all the other ones, ohhhh yes.
Oh, and I have some GOOD ones from working in jewellers at Christmas.
-Customers who complain how expensive the stuff is when it's on a HUGE discount already. Seriously, you're buying PRECIOUS METALS AND GEMSTONES. It's not cheap stuff, and if you can't afford that price, DON'T BUY IT. IT'S A TOTAL LUXURY ITEM. Buy silver or costume jewellery or stainless steel if you won't pay for the price of real gold/gems. Hell, we even had all those in stock but no, they think bitching that the 18K 18" gold necklace chain being $500 at half price is magically going to get them to have it for $20.
-Customers who tried to return earrings and body jewellery despite us warning them at the time of purchase that it's final sale for hygiene reasons, stamping it on the receipt and it ALSO being printed on the receipt. I only ever bent the rules once because the woman came back not even an hour later upon finding out the intended recipient didn't have her ears pierced.
-Customers like you said above who think you're a freaking long-distance shopping service. I had one call once where the woman wanted a ring, didn't even know her ring size, and I had SIX people already waiting on me while she says "Yeah, can you pick one out for me? I like X and X and X and X and X....".
-Customers who got pissy that you won't take an entire tray of valuable jewellery out for them to peruse. HELL NO, WE ARE NOT RISKING OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS OF INVENTORY DURING THE XMAS RUSH. ONE THING AT A TIME. Jewellery is also EXTREMELY easy to shoplift so it was even more dangerous to have more than one thing out.
-This was especially a problem with me always having the closing shift and being short staffed... customers who just WOULD NOT leave the god damn store or made their shopping stretch out to a multi-hour affair. They'd browse for at least a whole hour, demand your undivided attention for all of it, when you finally thought you had five minutes to go the bathroom or attend to someone else they'd call you back and pick something out at last, then hang around another twenty minutes (at this point, now I can't take my break either because I can't even get away long enough to ask someone to cover for me), then pick something ELSE, buy it separately, then hang around until almost closing and THEN pick ANOTHER thing and with this one demand an extra discount because "they've bought so much already" (not to sound racist, but Indian and Pakistani customers were EXTREMELY bad for doing this crap. Future warning for jewellery sellers...).
-People who would demand proof that an item was genuine, be it gold, diamonds, silver, etc. Fine, here it is, the paper for it or showing you with the loupe what the markings on it mean. Hell, want me to pull out the diamond tester too? ...except not only would they be as rude as possible during, they would basically refuse to believe you. So why the hell ask in the first place if you automatically think clearly-not-fake jewellery is a fake?
-Best one ever that got me a sympathy pat from the manager; customers who think fliers/ads are accurate to the hour. We had a special two week sale on earrings that sold out EXTREMELY fast (two days), and the rainchecks also ran out in two days, and we never did get enough in stock to meet the demand for how long it was supposed to run. Most who showed up too late just gave an "Aw, damn, any chance of getting more in?" when told they were all out, or picked something else. But one woman comes in, almost at the end of the sale period, with a flyer that had been out since about the middle of the sale (and note, we were a chain store so publications were put out WAY in advance and couldn't possibly apply to all locations. Oh yeah, and it also said in fine print, "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST"), and demands a pair of them. My usual "Sorry, those have been sold out since the first few days of the sale, we can't keep them in stock at all" got a reaction of throwing the flyer across the counter and "Well don't print such misleading ads, then!" I was so shocked by her damn stupidity that I couldn't even give the "OUR FLYERS ARE SENT TO THE PRINTER WEEKS IN ADVANCE AND CAN'T BE PULLED NATIONWIDE FOR ONE STORE RUNNING OUT" spiel I had intended to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #30
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

You know you work retail when you get scheduled from 10:30 in the morning to 9 at night despite clearly putting in your application that your maximum number of hours that you're willing to work per day is 8. This isn't the first time this has happened. And when you finally manage to find the person who can fix it (because no one is ever in their office) they tell you they will, only for your schedule to still be the same 2 days later. So then you have to do it all over AGAIN. And to top it off, I'm not even scheduled in my department. I'm about ready to explode on them, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Conventions attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016