Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 06-05-2004, 03:25 AM   #1
Yunalesca
New spin on necrophilia

Cosplay proposal

I want the next fanime to be really special for my boyfriend.

I jsut wanted a minute or so to be on stage and ask him to marry me (there will be costumes, music, and a speech involved, so it won't be totally unskitlike)

Will this be ruining the whole skit thing for everyone else?
Yunalesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

There was a video over on cosplaylab.com about a judge who proposed to his assistant during the awards presentations, and people cheered. I think it would go over just fine. However, perhaps you should warn the stage crew/MC beforehand, and let them know if it's a serious proposal, not just a skit. It would definitely be memorable!

And this is a total surprise for him, I take it? How are you going to keep it a secret (due to skit preparation)? ^_~

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Yunalesca
New spin on necrophilia

And this is a total surprise for him, I take it? How are you going to keep it a secret (due to skit preparation)? ^_~[/quote]

Easy. Ill just tell him to get on the stage. He'll probably just htink I'm dragging him into a freehand skit and he's just the living scenery. He hasn't complained of my projects of throwing him into weird costumes, or dragging him to weird places

It'll be pretty ironic. I'm going as Yuna and I'm going to make him Seymour, and I'm the one propsing.
Unread 06-05-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Kishuu
Kishuu

Quote:
It'll be pretty ironic. I'm going as Yuna and I'm going to make him Seymour, and I'm the one propsing.

I've seen three convention proposals, and everytime everyone in the room went CRAZY. (One was just a kinda private thing in the halls at night, not a skit.) I've always wanted to see the girl propose to the guy. It sounds like it will be quite the thing to see. Do you know which convention yet? I wish I could see. ^_^
Kishuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
kiwi
DATURA

There was one at Sakuracon this year, and people thought it was really cute. If he isn't going to be mortified by it, go for it! Anime geeks are always super-happy when other anime geeks hook up. Makes us feel good.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
Yunalesca
New spin on necrophilia

If I can get the costumes done in time, I'm going to be Yuna, he's going to be Seymour, and I'm going to see how many friends I can go as other FFX characters at fanime.
Unread 06-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
Chun Li
Shes Got a New Microphone

one word. AWWWWWWWW!!!!!
Another word. CUTE!

so yeah it would rock, too bad i wount be at fanime to see it.

Dragoncon 06
Angel Dumott Shunard
Today 4 U
Chun Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 01:13 AM   #8
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic

Aww, what a neat idea! I've seen something simillar done at a Civil War re-enactment- the guy asked his girlfriend to marry him during a ball. It was really cute.

But he asked her ahead of time to make sure she wouldn't reject him in front of everyone lol
Xanthe Kelsylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

I'm sure it will be great! But it is best to inform the masquarade organizers what you plan to do - they may even be able to help you out! For instance, one of the girls on my dance company was proposed to by her boyfriend at a coast-wide competition. He had arranged before-hand with the competition organizers to give his girlfriend a special award during the awards ceremony (after their done giving out medals they give out special judge's awards, like "best use of props" or whatever) that was called the engagement award. It was presented by the judge, so she had no clue. We she walked onstage to get it, the judge handed the mike to her boyfriend and he pulled out the ring. We all went crazy, adn my teacher rushed onstage with the video camera. There were probably a thousand people there and they LOVED it! Good luck.

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con
*Shiva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Wow, that's a really good idea! I would have loved to see that. So cute!

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 09:48 PM   #11
Rei2Rei
-mad hatter-

Aww..That is such a sweet idea! To bad I can't go to Fanime! I would love to see this!

Be sure to keep us posted if you do go through with this idea!
Rei2Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
Xanthix
Webmonkey Extraordinaire

At Anime Central they actually have a rule against marriage proposals on stage! It can be a cute thing, but you should definately check with the con organizers first to see if it's okay.

Also, you should really make sure that both you and your boyfriend will be okay with this. Some kinds of people would not want that kind of attention (and pressure!) on them for their proposal. Also, some people would want their proposal to be a special, intimate time, not a frenzied moment on stage in front of thousands of people they don't know. You say you're making your bf's costume... if he's not a cosplay fan and is doing the masquerade because of you, he might fall into one of these categories.

I don't want to be a downer about this, but I just encourage you to think twice about this, especially since I don't know the details of your situation.
Unread 06-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #13
Yunalesca
New spin on necrophilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthix
At Anime Central they actually have a rule against marriage proposals on stage! It can be a cute thing, but you should definately check with the con organizers first to see if it's okay.

Also, you should really make sure that both you and your boyfriend will be okay with this. Some kinds of people would not want that kind of attention (and pressure!) on them for their proposal. Also, some people would want their proposal to be a special, intimate time, not a frenzied moment on stage in front of thousands of people they don't know. You say you're making your bf's costume... if he's not a cosplay fan and is doing the masquerade because of you, he might fall into one of these categories.

I don't want to be a downer about this, but I just encourage you to think twice about this, especially since I don't know the details of your situation.
I already know he's fine with cosplay and lots of attention (and being thrown into almost any outift)

Thank you for the warning, though.
Unread 06-18-2004, 10:40 PM   #14
Yunalesca
New spin on necrophilia

They allow it, I checked.

If I ever get the time, i'm gonna make my friends some FFX costumes so they can all be there when I propose. And I'll have music, too.

I really WILL have to tell people this isn't a skit.
"Like what?" Cid asked. "Like I feel I'm going to lost a sanity contest with a transvestite who has an oedipus complex for an estraerrestrial? Like I just had sex with a praying mantis and I'm wondering why I' haven't been eaten? It's just one of those days and I haven't had a ciggerette all day.'
I think I just lost my fucking marbles," Cid said. " And you're playing with them."
Unread 06-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #15
xie-chan
Suzaku Sichiseishi

Use a sign before he gets on stage.