Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
ArtistADC

Question Grey facepaint help! Good brands? (looking at you, homestuck fans)

So, I need some advice.

Looking for a good, durable grey facepaint and bodypaint for a zombie cosplay that will look close to this:

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2013/06/dwod.png

Any suggestions for brands? Heard good things about mehron, but I'd like to get more opinions.
ArtistADC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Mehron is a popular brand. They have both water-activated and creme formulas, so you can take your pick. It's usually pretty highly recommended.

I'm partial to Kryolan myself, and again, they have multiple products with multiple formulas. I like their Aquacolor line, which is water-activated paints. A color like 32B would probably be good here, as that's a nice neutral light grey (and what I used to use for Homestuck cosplay).

Ben Nye is another popular brand, though I'm not sure if they make a suitable light grey straight out of the tin like Mehron and Kryolan do.

I know that Tag has become a popular brand recently, though I'm not sure what their selection of greys is like. This is going to be a water-activated paint with a wax-based formula, so it'll apply a bit different from Kryolan Aquacolor and Mehron Paradise, which are glycerin-based formulas. Wolfe also has a wax-based formula, but as far as I know, no light greys like this.

Honestly, among the major theatrical brands, most products are fairly comparable and it comes down to personal preference and what is available. No matter what you do, be sure to seal your paint, but I'm sure you already know that. ;]

Here's some basic body painting information, including how to choose a type of paint and sealing information:
https://fabrickind.tumblr.com/post/137066387037
Unread 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I'm partial to Ben Nye Character Base foundation creme. It's grease-based creme, not water-activated. Goes on easily with a foundation brush or sponge (I like a brush), very easy to get a smooth even look, whether you want light coverage or dense coverage. Lasts a long time, even through sweat. Big downside: It will get on other stuff unless you hose yourself down with a ton of sealant and setting spray/powder.

I personally haven't had much success getting even coverage with water-activated stuff like Ben Nye Magicake, though Mehron's stuff seems easier in my limited experience. Last time I tried Magicake it was very streaky and frustrating, though my technique could certainly use improvement.

This is Ben Nye Character Character Base Foundation creme in Cadaver Grey (P-15), contoured with a cool-black loose powder. This is after walking the Dragoncon parade (read: sweat) and having lunch and drinks, then minor makeup touchups before photos.

Note: This might be a little lighter in color than you're looking for.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 03-30-2017 at 10:14 AM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
MoldyBoi

I used Mehron's cream blend sticks when I cosplayed a troll. There are tons of brands and different types of face paint. Ben Nye is a favorite of many but it is pretty expensive. But, looking at the picture, it seems to be a fairly green-based grey. So, I'm gonna suggest two options, but both will need a cool-based grey. And you're probably gonna want it fairly light.

So, the first suggestion would be to blend a light, cool grey with a TINY bit of a medium green. Alternatively, you could just apply the grey paint and then lightly set it with a green powder. Maybe mix translucent powder with some green shadow?
MoldyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 01:16 AM   #5
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyBoi View Post
I used Mehron's cream blend sticks when I cosplayed a troll. There are tons of brands and different types of face paint. Ben Nye is a favorite of many but it is pretty expensive. But, looking at the picture, it seems to be a fairly green-based grey. So, I'm gonna suggest two options, but both will need a cool-based grey. And you're probably gonna want it fairly light.

So, the first suggestion would be to blend a light, cool grey with a TINY bit of a medium green. Alternatively, you could just apply the grey paint and then lightly set it with a green powder. Maybe mix translucent powder with some green shadow?
If OP doesn't want to mix but still wants a green-tinted grey, Kryolan's 089 would be perfect. IT comes in both creme and water formulas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
I'm partial to Ben Nye Character Base foundation creme. It's grease-based creme, not water-activated. Goes on easily with a foundation brush or sponge (I like a brush), very easy to get a smooth even look, whether you want light coverage or dense coverage. Lasts a long time, even through sweat. Big downside: It will get on other stuff unless you hose yourself down with a ton of sealant and setting spray/powder.

I personally haven't had much success getting even coverage with water-activated stuff like Ben Nye Magicake, though Mehron's stuff seems easier in my limited experience. Last time I tried Magicake it was very streaky and frustrating, though my technique could certainly use improvement.
Water-activated has a steeper learning curve to it than creme paints, since you need to have pretty much exactly the right amount of water, learn how to apply it that works best for you, and let it dry fully between layers. I can see how it would be difficult! I like it because it's far more comfortable on my skin and I find it to be longer-lasting (certainly, it doesn't rub off on things as easily as creme paints do, and oily skin doesn't really bother it...never had an issue with sweat either when it's well-sealed), but a lot of the differences come down to personal preference.

I lay out a lot of the pros and cons of each type in the panel I linked. ;]
Unread 07-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Sweet Loretta

Mehron Paradise Storm Cloud #1 choice then Mehron Starblend. That's what my customers swear by.

If using Cream Makeups and both Mehron and Kryolan make great creame makeups - be sure to set it by pressing translucent powder into the makeup. You need to absorb the oil cream makeups. Both Mehron and Kryolan have good setting powders and big powder puff sponges that will do the job nicely.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com

You can also find Extreme Makeup FX on eBay and eCrater.
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote