Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 05-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #61
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

So like I planned, I went to Value Village to look for a dress and top for standard Ruri, which I didn't find (I found a dress what was in the area but not quite what I was looking for) but I'm not dissapponted since that was an idea to work with. I can go to Goodwill this weekend, just in case, since the last thing I would need is the boots.
Two weeks guys, come on!

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #62
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

We got a long weekend coming up.... Should be fine!

I still need to clean Captain Canada and see on lace to my kimono. I am applying a product to stop the frays...

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #63
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Got a decent enough semblance of an updo in my Anastasia wig again, I'll check Tali and Kusanagi tomorrow. But seriously, Anastasia is sort of a cosplay that doesn't want to happen at this con. The dress is so delicate and heavy and such that I shudder at the thought of having to leave the hotel in it. And I'm in the Crowne, so I HAVE to leave the hotel to take it to another for anything (and I am NOT taking it near the TCC or basically on any pavement. NO WAY.). I can handle the con shuttle for that, but that definitely rules out a Sunday post-con photoshoot with the hotel empty so I can have all the grand staircases to myself. :P And since I want to get some nice pictures, wearing it at off-peak hours is best for that, but then there's the whole lighting/time of day and evening schedule crap going on.
And no guarantee I'll find anywhere suitable either, which doesn't help. Seriously, I would just leave her at home with how much of a hassle and how much suitcase space wearing her for at most half a day will be, but I have spent WAY too much time and money on this dress (it's the first or second most expensive costume I've ever made, at roughly $500 out of pocket plus gift cards and coupons) to not bring it out again until glob knows when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #64
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Got a decent enough semblance of an updo in my Anastasia wig again, I'll check Tali and Kusanagi tomorrow. But seriously, Anastasia is sort of a cosplay that doesn't want to happen at this con. The dress is so delicate and heavy and such that I shudder at the thought of having to leave the hotel in it. And I'm in the Crowne, so I HAVE to leave the hotel to take it to another for anything (and I am NOT taking it near the TCC or basically on any pavement. NO WAY.). I can handle the con shuttle for that, but that definitely rules out a Sunday post-con photoshoot with the hotel empty so I can have all the grand staircases to myself. :P And since I want to get some nice pictures, wearing it at off-peak hours is best for that, but then there's the whole lighting/time of day and evening schedule crap going on.
And no guarantee I'll find anywhere suitable either, which doesn't help. Seriously, I would just leave her at home with how much of a hassle and how much suitcase space wearing her for at most half a day will be, but I have spent WAY too much time and money on this dress (it's the first or second most expensive costume I've ever made, at roughly $500 out of pocket plus gift cards and coupons) to not bring it out again until glob knows when.

Does it weight more than my 55 pounds of chainmaille craziness that cost well over $700? I totally get it... the heat last year and dragging that thing around.. Gah but I was damn proud of it. At least (looking at the forecast) it won't be stupid hot at this point in time. Bring it out and wear it with pride!

So many little things to do and yet so lazy....

"Captain Canada"

Unread 05-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #65
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Does it weight more than my 55 pounds of chainmaille craziness that cost well over $700? I totally get it... the heat last year and dragging that thing around.. Gah but I was damn proud of it. At least (looking at the forecast) it won't be stupid hot at this point in time. Bring it out and wear it with pride!

So many little things to do and yet so lazy....
Fortunately my ensemble doesn't weigh that much! The skirt is the crazy heavy part, I think it's a good ten pounds. I'm gonna have to weigh it one of these days. My biggest worry is (on top of it taking ages to get all on, which makes it tough to schedule around when we also have to use the con shuttle) is both my awful shoes (Eight hours at CostumeCon, much of it sitting? I had bruised toenails. And that was WITH inserts.) and having to be SUPER careful with the train. if that train gets damaged my entire dress is ruined, and just a couple hours of hotel carpet left the hem protector grey. Hence, "NO PAVEMENT EVER".
But yeah, looks like this year will actually be nice reasonable temperatures. I finally get to wear Tali and NOT be roasting to death in that cosplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #66
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Made a slight miscalculation in progress - it escaped me that I needed to dye the Arda hair extensions for Rin and the belt once I have it. I won't get it 'til the week of, but I can still get everything done. Another thing we should be looking out for is the weather. It was a pretty crappy couple of weeks, and I hope it'll warm up to a comfortable temperature (didn't go last year but I remember how hot it was) since I'll be out walking around in boots, shorts and a t-shirt basically.
I'm so close to being done!

Future plans:

Follow me:

Unread 05-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #67
AJ the Collector
Collector

So I'm borrowing a button-down shirt from my dad to wear open over a shirt of my own for my Totakeke costume. The problem? My dad's a short and very skinny dude, I'm big and tall. Hope to Jesus the shirt will even fit over my shoulders. Aside from that, was unable to get L together in time, got no more money I can spare, so I'm BS'ing together a Sans costume using just a tank top, shorts, slippers and a jacket I have, it'll certainly do well enough until I can get myself a proper Sans jacket.

Current cosplay plans:

L - AN 2018
Equius Zahhak - Trickster - AN 2018
Underswap Papyrus - AN 2018
Sans
Mr. Mayor (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
Bartholomew Kuma
Sable Able
Dick Gumshoe
Penelope (Sly 3)
Clawdia (Fighting Foodons)
Deadpool - X-Force
Signless
Porrim Maryam
Sabin Figaro
Grell Sutcliff
James (Pokemon)

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #68
xshedevilx
- Kami -

Got the replacement Soldier 76 jacket in and IT FITS!! My massive sigh of relief when he tried it on was HUGE. As well, we figured out a tint for the mask (IDye didn't take either so we used the testor custom red again and did about 15 light coats). The mask needs sealing and it is done.

A friend has 2 weeks off so he volunteered to finish painting my blaster and our pulse rifle, YAY. All I have to do now is finish my staff. Everything else is repaired with the exception of some ironing I will do in the hotel.

We still have a long weekend everyone, we can pull through!

2018 Cosplays:
Super Sonico (White Unicorn)
Overwatch - Widowmaker (Talon)
Pocahontas (Disney)
Starcraft - Kerrigan (De-zerged)
Game of Thrones - Ygritte
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Aloy (variant tbd)
xshedevilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #69
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Fortunately my ensemble doesn't weigh that much! The skirt is the crazy heavy part, I think it's a good ten pounds. I'm gonna have to weigh it one of these days. My biggest worry is (on top of it taking ages to get all on, which makes it tough to schedule around when we also have to use the con shuttle) is both my awful shoes (Eight hours at CostumeCon, much of it sitting? I had bruised toenails. And that was WITH inserts.) and having to be SUPER careful with the train. if that train gets damaged my entire dress is ruined, and just a couple hours of hotel carpet left the hem protector grey. Hence, "NO PAVEMENT EVER".
But yeah, looks like this year will actually be nice reasonable temperatures. I finally get to wear Tali and NOT be roasting to death in that cosplay.
I'm going to take a slug of scales off for next year because it's too heavy....

Let's hope we all have nice weather! With a light breeze. Y

"Captain Canada"

Unread 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #70
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshedevilx View Post
Got the replacement Soldier 76 jacket in and IT FITS!! My massive sigh of relief when he tried it on was HUGE. As well, we figured out a tint for the mask (IDye didn't take either so we used the testor custom red again and did about 15 light coats). The mask needs sealing and it is done.

A friend has 2 weeks off so he volunteered to finish painting my blaster and our pulse rifle, YAY. All I have to do now is finish my staff. Everything else is repaired with the exception of some ironing I will do in the hotel.

We still have a long weekend everyone, we can pull through!
^^^ THIS
Thank you I needed that XD! I pretty much ended doing the same thing with Rin and Ruri since I couldn't the rest of the stuff I needed.
Yesterday I had to redo Rin's boots, because I ended up doing it wrong >_>. I got kneepads and the pink fabric onto the boots; and they could be better but not bad. All that's left for Ruri is sewing the red thing she has tucked in her belts but my sewing machine is acting up (AGAIN), I'll have my dad fix it (AGAIN). I still have a couple things left, but I can do it.

Future plans:

Follow me:

Unread 05-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #71
MelColley
Illustrator

I'm basically just screaming internally at this point. Haaaaaaa.
MelColley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2017, 01:30 AM   #72
Arokh Fithos
The Last Dragon of Art

I know this might be a shot in dark, but I just gotta ask:

Does anybody got any last minute tips, advice, or links of video on how to make Male Chest Armor? Cause I need any of it REAL badly!

At this point, anything would be helpful. The madness looms ever so much closer to AN, at every passing hour.
Unread 05-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #73
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arokh Fithos View Post

Does anybody got any last minute tips, advice, or links of video on how to make Male Chest Armor? Cause I need any of it REAL badly!

At this point, anything would be helpful. The madness looms ever so much closer to AN, at every passing hour.
Well eva is easy to get:

Here's some patterns

here's a video on priming eva foam

Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #74
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arokh Fithos View Post

If you're super lazy there are tutorials for making armour out of cardboard.

"Captain Canada"

Unread 05-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #75
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Well my checklist is doing better.... working the full long weekend so no days off again.... miss having it. >_<

Check List for Darling Charming:
FINISHED:
Tiara & hair bow[X]
Gemstone and finding work [X]
Earrings and bracelet [X]
Shoes [X]
Dress [X]

Working on:
Belt Armour [-]
Shoulder Armour [-]
Wig [Almost done, I need the wefts I order coming in on Tuesday]

But I'm mad, I still need to finish the armour!

My Rock done which is nice!

https://www.facebook.com/WARPAINTandUnicorns/ posting photo's here on what done. lol

FanExpo '17
Merida - Brave (Saturday only)

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:
Lagertha - Vikings, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 05-21-2017 at 10:51 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote