Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Face Paint VS heat / light sweat ?

My next cosplay is going to use a decent amount of face paint, and while I do know how to use and apply face paint, I've never actually gone outside the house with it.

Now, the convention I'm going to is in August, so it's going to be pretty hot outside. However, it's not the outside heat I'm worried about because I'm not going to be outside for more than 60 seconds at a time, walking from the hotel to the convention center. It's the indoor temperature that I'm worried about.

The costume calls for a formal suit, and my experience with wearing a suit at this convention center is that even just walking around, I get really warm and lightly sweaty. Even though the place is air conditioned, I still get pretty warm because of the suit.

Will face paint hold up to this, or will it be running down my face after a couple hours? The brand of facepaint that I have is "FAB" from Sillyfarm.

I do have a bottle of Ben Nye "final seal", which, I've been told, is supposed to help the face paint resist moisture, but again, I have no idea how well it works because I've never actually worn face paint for more than an hour or so.
NostalgiaShmltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

There's a few things you can do to help with the heat:
- Use a primer. Better if you can find one that is supposed to be long-wearing or otherwise help with heat and sweat, best if you can find one that contains antiperspirants. You can also use your setting spray before applying the paint, and then again after.
- Mix the paint with Liquiset or a similar product instead of water. This will up the waterproof properties of the paint.
- Use a (small amount of) powder that contains antiperspirants. A lot of theatrical setting powders have this to prevent actors from sweating off makeup under hot stage lights. Don't use too much, or else you'll cause the paint to dry out and crack.
- Set the paint with your setting spray, which you should be doing regardless of heat. Close your eyes and do several light mists, letting it dry in between, as to not rewet the paint, but so that you can fully cover the paint.

Between all of these things, you should be able to wear the paint all day with few touchups, though bring your supplies with you just in case.

Honestly, the only thing here that I do (I use Kyrolan Aquacolor, which is a similar paint type) is use setting spray before and after application, and I've never had a problem wearing paint in nearly 90 degree weather, outdoors, in full body black neoprene and a floor draggingly long black wig, but I'm also not a super sweaty person, so YMMV. (I'd be interested in trying powders with antiperspirants in them, but I'm allergic :|)
Unread 04-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Hmm, interesting. I talked with someone else who said they were really experienced with face paint, and they said that the slightest bit of sweat would cause FAB face paint to run.

It should be noted that the convention center itself is not hot (it's air conditioned), it's just me that gets hot, due to wearing a suit and a wig. I get warm enough to sweat just a little bit, around the upper part of my forehead.

So either use an antipersperant primer, or powder, hm? I'll have to look into those.

It was also suggested that I use "heavy duty non water oil based like military camo" face paint. Any knowledge about that?

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 04-26-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Unread 04-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Likely the paint isn't sealed if it runs that easily, though it is still water-activated, so sweat will reactivate it. This is why you should have some sort of barrier between your skin and the paint, and some sort of barrier between the paint and the outside world. Keep in mind that me wearing KAQ outside in 90 degree heat in all black neoprene without issue is fully sealed paint, using a sealing spray. It does tend to run a bit with a runny nose, though, since that's too much liquid at once that's moving more than a small amount of sweat does. always bring your supplies for touchups.

The antiperspirants should take care of minor sweating like that, or at least greatly reduce it. I'd use both a primer and a powder, if you can, though remember to not saturate the paint with the powder.

An oil-based (creme or cream or grease) paint will also be more sweat-resistant, since it won't activate with water. It has a new set of concerns, though -- it's heavier and feels greasier on your skin, sometimes oily skin can cause an issue with it, and it's more likely to smear when touched because it never fully dries or sets (as an oil-based product) even when fully saturated with powder to set it. This type of paint REQUIRES powder, unlike water-activated paints, since you need to fully saturate it in order for it to stay in place, in addition to the sealing spray. You would only use this on your face (as opposed to face and body), as well, and it's harder to get crisp, sharp lines if doing designs, though it is more opaque and gives greater coverage than water-activated paints. It's also easier to mix and has a lower learning curve, though you also use more product since it's undiluted.
Unread 04-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Hm, yeah, I wouldn't want to use a facepaint that will smear at the lightest touch.

So I've got that "final seal" stuff, what exactly is used as a "primer" ? I have been told in the past that I should spray the Final Seal on my face before applying the paint, and then again afterward.

Also, it was suggested that instead of spraying this stuff directly at my face, I should spray it into the air and then move my head forward through it so that the mist hits my face, and do that a few times.

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 04-29-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Unread 05-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Oh, I've also come across a "DIPS" facepaint that claims it is a "hybrid formula" and that it can "withstand extreme conditions like warm temperatures, sweating, water, rubbing and other activities that would normally lead to running and smudging."

Other descriptions on the site say that it is "waterproof and sweatproof", and that it's good for use in hot temperatures where you'd be sweating a lot.

It comes in little 1oz bottles, so I'm assuming it's some kind of liquid paint. From what video reviews said, it's alcohol-based, and comes off with soap and water.

I'm watching videos of tests/demonstrations, one with a guy putting on this facepaint and then completely submerging his head in a swimming pool, five times, and most of the facepaint is still on! So yeah, I'm guessing that a little bit of sweat won't be any problem for this stuff, if you can dunk your head in chlorinated water and it stays mostly on.

Still, anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 05-01-2017 at 08:43 PM.