Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 08-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
xSann

Fixing hair after wig

So i couldn't find anything about this online, so i thought i would ask here.

Situation:

After a day at the convention while wearing a wig you are going home by train. But before you go home you want to take of your wig. You real hair under the wig looks like a dead animal.

How do you fix your real hair after the convention before going to the train?

Showering isn't an option because most of the time you already have to check out of your hotel room at 12.

Any suggestions?
xSann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Maybe buy a small spritz bottle that you can fill with water? That way you can wet your hair and comb it back into place.

Or invest in a cute hat.
Unread 08-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
OoTLink

Wear the wig home

I've never stayed -at- a con either, so I just put mine on in the morning before i leave and keep it on until I get home.
OoTLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I just wear mine home (now admittedly, that's not too often- big cons where I strut my finest I tend to stay Sunday night, and small cons I'm usually vending and so not wearing one) or if it was a bit too fancy I'll swap it out for a simple one to wear home. My hair needs MAD hairspray, pins and styling under the wig cap to stay in place so I don't even dare try to fix it at the con.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

I just stick my head under a faucet. I'd rather sport wet hair than wighair-mess. I do this mid-day at cons sometimes if I need a break from my wig or am changing out of costume, too. (My hair is pretty short though)
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

I go home with smeared makeup, wiggy hair sticking out in all directions, bloodshot eyes and limping like a sailor on shore leave. Fit right in on the train.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

I commute to most cons and wearing my wig to drive home isnt always the best idea. So what I do is have a bandana ready in my car and tie that over my head to hide the horrendous wig hair. Sometimes I've got to comb a little of it out so it's not sticking straight back or something, but in the end the hair all around the edges are already stuck slicked back, so it totally looks normal peaking out from under the bandana, and the rest of the disaster is hidden!
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #8
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I think I'm one of the few lucky people whose hair looks super nice after wearing a wig. lol. But what I do, is to run my hands through my hair and pretty much scratch/massage my scalp because I usually wear a wig for 8+ hours so head hurts, haha. I have thick hair so that might be the reason.

My friend does the bandana/hat thing that kenshin mentioned.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
I think I'm one of the few lucky people whose hair looks super nice after wearing a wig. lol. But what I do, is to run my hands through my hair and pretty much scratch/massage my scalp because I usually wear a wig for 8+ hours so head hurts, haha. I have thick hair so that might be the reason.

Ha, I always give myself a good scratch/rub after a wig too, but my hair just looks even worse after (again, because I need about twenty minutes of pinning, gelling and hairspraying and more pinning. I have very fine hair cut in layers, and bangs, that are barely long enough to tie back...). I'm just glad to get the damn thing off! I think I'm just insanely sensitive compared to most others, I'm usually fighting off mad itches or irritated spots all damn day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2017, 02:45 AM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post

I'm in that boat with ya. My hair usually CAN'T look bad after a wig, because my hair is fine regardless..I never really care. As long as I washed it that morning or the night before, it doesn't look bad after a wig.

To the OP here, what does you're hairstyle usually look like? You didn't mention that so I mean, there could be a few different fixes that only work with certain lengths or something. If it's long, then usually it get's braided up under the wig, meaning when it's taken out, it will get all wavy..You could bring a mini straightener. I use to have one that was pretty small that I can tell you will fit in any bag you're bringing to the con for that day. You can also carry a fold-up brush with you in your bag. If it's shorter and you use product, you can get small containers for a little amount of it and cary those in your bag too. Like if you use hair spray, you can buy travel sized ones that you only use on the last day of cons, or if you use gel or palmade, you can empty some into a container that's a one time supply, which you can reuse for the same purpose. Just a few ideas for different styles..

Then again, if you like hats..Problem solved there lol I do that a lot on the way home my public transportation.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
xIkuna

Just put your hair in a messy ponytail/bun, if your hair isn't long enough wear a hat

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #12
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

I'd probably leave my wig on or wear a hat. But if you REEEAAALLY need your hair to look nice afterwards, pin curls are great for just that. I had a date while I was at Katsucon (because Valentine's Day) and my hair looked great after.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote