Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 05-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Planning for 2018

Never too early right!?

Here's my plans:

Scalemaille Gyarados is getting a revamp. 55 pounds of metal is way too heavy. I'm going to take out most of the front, leaving the back and tail intact. I'll also reuse the helmet and spear. I'll build out of worbla (for the first time) shin pads / armour and wrist bands. I should be able to reduce the weight of the costume by half... I think.

And for the first time I'll be in a group. We will be two or three of the first gen legendary birds (zapdos, articuno and moltres) with a pokemon trainer. The birds will be designed based on a Japanese ancient warrior. Head gear will be the head of the legendary birds. I will have help with this one. I'll be constructing the costumes while my brother will be painting the props. The props are swords of course (lightning swords, flame swords and ice swords)

It's going to be intense.

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Scalemaille Gyarados sounds awesome. Never too early for next year; but too early to call what I'm going as. It will probably be Yugioh and Digimon related as usual since those are my two prime animes to cosplay from; so many good outfits. Might do a crossover with something else.
I'd love to do a duel monsters cosplay since not many people do (or atleast not from what I've seen).
Right now I'm weighing my options and doing some research.

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
Scalemaille Gyarados sounds awesome.
Yep, see my costume profile of it. I'll take out to maybe the belly line of gold scales and some blue.

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

i haven't been into pokemon in 15+ years, but the legendary birds trio sounds really cool!
Me, I'm going to skew with more simple/fuss-free costumes next year, I'm getting too worn out at AN nowadays to do fancy things AND the con itself all three days. I think I'll do an Abigail costume from Stardew valley, rewear one (max 2, depends if I bother with the moonlight ball or not next year) fancy thing and bring something a bit easier on the body (no big props, or crazy wigs, or where I can't really carry things easily) out of a "haven't worn this in years" limbo. Having no costumes all last weekend where I could easily carry a shoulder bag KILLED me, made shopping hard to plan and made by boyfriend resent all the packmuling. (Tali'Zorah and Kusanagi have crazy shoulders that don't allow me to put any significant weight on them and Anastasia is too delicate with the off-shoulder dress design, brooch and silk sash)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Yep, see my costume profile of it. I'll take out to maybe the belly line of gold scales and some blue.
Your work really payed off
Looks so cool! But whats more important is that you feel comfortable.

And I'd actually would like to do something elaborate in constrast to what Shinobi said, since I never got the chance to. All my costumes were just 'regular' clothes (as normal as you can get xD) so this'll be my chance to do so.

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 06-01-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
i haven't been into pokemon in 15+ years, but the legendary birds trio sounds really cool!
Me, I'm going to skew with more simple/fuss-free costumes next year, I'm getting too worn out at AN nowadays to do fancy things AND the con itself all three days. I think I'll do an Abigail costume from Stardew valley, rewear one (max 2, depends if I bother with the moonlight ball or not next year) fancy thing and bring something a bit easier on the body (no big props, or crazy wigs, or where I can't really carry things easily) out of a "haven't worn this in years" limbo. Having no costumes all last weekend where I could easily carry a shoulder bag KILLED me, made shopping hard to plan and made by boyfriend resent all the packmuling. (Tali'Zorah and Kusanagi have crazy shoulders that don't allow me to put any significant weight on them and Anastasia is too delicate with the off-shoulder dress design, brooch and silk sash)
I just realized it was you I saw wearing that. I did a "HNNNNNNGH" seeing it.

Anyhoo I'm planning touka kirishima from Tokyo ghoul with the wing stuff going on... and rewearing Cindy from FFXV... its just so comfortable.... and maybe Yuri. Gotta hand out more polish candy.

Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
I just realized it was you I saw wearing that. I did a "HNNNNNNGH" seeing it.
Yeah, we went to the Fox Bistro for the 25+ meetup when I was in that (I got my drunk-Tali photos!), annnnd couldn't figure out who was there for it versus who was there with a private group or just drinking and not attending the con. Sitting at the bar probably didn't help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
sandra03

I'm already stressing about what to do for next year. So far I'm thinking maybe Uta from Tokyo Ghoul because I have the hairstyle already, not wearing a wig sounds appealing lol. It's a pretty simple one other than the tats so I might bring something else too...
hmmm would anyone recognize a Fuuka cosplay?
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Yeah, we went to the Fox Bistro for the 25+ meetup when I was in that (I got my drunk-Tali photos!), annnnd couldn't figure out who was there for it versus who was there with a private group or just drinking and not attending the con. Sitting at the bar probably didn't help.
I was dressed as Yurio and sitting with a big group of people. We took up about a 1/4 of the place. I think i saw you walk by.

Sorry I didn't realize it was you otherwise I would have nabbed you.

Unread 06-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra03 View Post
I'm already stressing about what to do for next year. So far I'm thinking maybe Uta from Tokyo Ghoul because I have the hairstyle already, not wearing a wig sounds appealing lol. It's a pretty simple one other than the tats so I might bring something else too...
hmmm would anyone recognize a Fuuka cosplay?
That would be cool

Unread 06-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
hangyaku

I'm not sure what I want to do for 2018, but I'm definitely thinking armour. Maybe not a full suit, since I have very little armour-making experience to begin with, but like... partial armour! Something to get me started XD

I'd love to do something from Fire Emblem (leaning toward fates, maybe awakening) since I feel like that has at least some partial armour options, and I really do love those games so it's about high time I cosplay something from them.

~Anime North 2017~
Keith - Voltron: Legendary Defender
Katsuhira Agata - Kiznaiver
hangyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #12
sandra03

thanks DireKitty. If I'm still rocking this hairstyle next year I think I'll definitely do it. I need to figure out how to do the tattoos though, and I think I want to make (or buy) a mask for pics so I don't have to mess with contacts. maybe the bird mask since the eyes aren't visible at all with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangyaku View Post
I'm not sure what I want to do for 2018, but I'm definitely thinking armour. Maybe not a full suit, since I have very little armour-making experience to begin with, but like... partial armour! Something to get me started XD
This is why I did Najenda this year. I wanted to see if I could do armour/work with EVA but without committing to something overly huge or elaborate. She just has one mechanical arm with very little detail work so it was a super simple one to start off with. I learned a lot, made some mistakes, was mostly happy with the end result, and now feel more confident in choosing something a little more difficult in the future. so definitely start with something pretty simple so you can try it out, and maybe have a plan B in mind in case it doesn't come together for you in time.
Unread 06-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #13
hangyaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra03 View Post
This is why I did Najenda this year. I wanted to see if I could do armour/work with EVA but without committing to something overly huge or elaborate. She just has one mechanical arm with very little detail work so it was a super simple one to start off with. I learned a lot, made some mistakes, was mostly happy with the end result, and now feel more confident in choosing something a little more difficult in the future. so definitely start with something pretty simple so you can try it out, and maybe have a plan B in mind in case it doesn't come together for you in time.
Ahh, good advice! Thank you

This year was my first real attempt at a prop weapon, so I got some experience with craft foam and worbla, which was super fun. Though I'd love to work my way towards a full armour suit and more complex weapons eventually. I'm already looking through my cosplay wishlist to see what could be a good/simple starting place.

~Anime North 2017~
Keith - Voltron: Legendary Defender
Katsuhira Agata - Kiznaiver
hangyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
sandra03

awesome you'll have to let us know what you decide. I just worry about heat and maneuverability with big cosplays so I'm inclined to keep mine pretty simple anyways. Personally I spend a lot of time inside at panels and events and killing time in the dealers room etc etc. Even with just a simple one this year, that arm got bumped and shoved so many times in the dealers room and nominoichi, I was so afraid it was going to be ruined by the end of the first day lol. It held up pretty well but I'm sure if I did a full armour suit I would be too nervous to walk around inside in it. I know a lot of people enjoy chilling outside getting pics all weekend but that's not my thing. so I'd maybe wear it for a few hours and then go change so I could go do stuff, and that wouldn't really be worth all the time and effort and expense of putting it all together.
I definitely want to try more foamcrafting though, so I will have to watch out for similar characters to Najenda that have partial armour/mech parts or just weapons
Unread 06-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #15
AJ the Collector
Collector

I'm hoping to have a fursuit-style Sable Able costume made in time for next AN. It'll take a lot of saving, but I hope I can do it. If it takes longer than expected though, I do have backup plans in line. Another big hopeful for next year is Bartholomew Kuma from One Piece--here's hoping the heat doesn't build up too much if I manage that one, heat + heavy black outfit = not fun. And finally, third hopeful costume for next year is Big Mac, Applejack's brother from MLP, just to help show that MLP cosplay is still a thing.

Current cosplay plans:

L - AN 2018
Equius Zahhak - Trickster - AN 2018
Underswap Papyrus - AN 2018
Sans
Mr. Mayor (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
Bartholomew Kuma
Sable Able
Dick Gumshoe
Penelope (Sly 3)
Clawdia (Fighting Foodons)
Deadpool - X-Force
Signless
Porrim Maryam
Sabin Figaro
Grell Sutcliff
James (Pokemon)

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote